By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Eurovision

Gerry

Guest Raisbeck

Hard to blame the artist involved for the result though.

Iraq cost us any chance of Eurovision over the past few year. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

I remember when Blair won his first General Election, all of Europe (incorrectly) thought the Brit Govt would stop being C.hunts, and shortly after (and almost certainly as a direct result of Labour winning) we won the Eurovision. Oh well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7418940.stm

Wogan 'may quit Eurovision role'

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Abraham received 14 points for his song Even If, as Russia won with 272 points.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

He told viewers: "I think it's tremendously disappointing from the point of view of the United Kingdom.

"Andy Abraham gave, I think, the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved far more points than it got when you look at the points that Spain got, that Bosnia-Hercegovina got - some really ridiculous songs."

Sir Terry said his producer, Kevin Bishop, was stepping down after this year's contest.

"He and I have to decide whether we want to do this again," he said.

"Indeed, western European participants have to decide whether they want to take part from here on in because their prospects are poor."

Abraham received six points from San Marino - who were taking part for the first time - and eight from Ireland.

Germany and Poland also received 14 points each, but they officially finished above the UK because their top scores in a single round were higher.

Russia received the maximum 12 points from former Soviet states Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus and Armenia, as well as Israel.

But Sir Terry was generous about the Russian song, Believe, performed by Dima Bilan.

"Let's not take it away from him, let's congratulate him," he said.

The UK has only finished in the top 10 once in the last 10 years - but has finished outside the top 20 four times in that period.

Interesting to see Terry Wogan questioning whether he could be bothered to even go next year - and also wondering if UK acts should be bothered about going either.

Personally I think that we should volunteer to have to qualify like anyone else - then put the worst acts in that we can find so we never qualify - or just simply pull out altogether.

It's clear that Europe hates the UK (But we've always known that anyway) - but without British involvement (Whether they like it or not) - then the 'prestige' gained in the competition (Yeah, I know, I know ) will dimish sharply.

Either they should put it back to professional judges and have fair voting on the actual performance, the acts and the songs or they should just not bother with the songs at all and just change it's name to "The Eurovision Popularlity Contest"

It's nothing to do with the UK's foreign policy and everything to do with the eastern block countries voting for their mates.

It's not like the rest of the western European countries get loads of votes in comparison to us. Even the Scandinavian countries are at it now, following the lead of the Balkan countries and now the ex-Russians.

Wogan definitely sounded like he was thinking about packing it in last night. Didn't he say something like "it's not funny any more" when talking about the political voting? Reckon there's only so many times you can get a laugh out of Iceland giving Denmark 12 points and vice versa.

Andorra giving 12 points to the execrable Spanish entry was a highlight I thought.

Does the financial contribution from the UK come directly from the BBC? If so I'd have thought there's a good argument for walking away and spending it somewhere else.

EDIT: And the Scandinavian countries have been voting for their mates for a long time. The Iceland/Denmark example has been going on for ages.

Edited by Gerry

I'd like to know where the money comes from that we as a nation waste on Eurovision each year, only to be mocked by countries - such as the ones who would still be under dictatorship rule if it wasn't for the very NATO countries they mock with their voting. The Western Europeans should form a break-away competition and see how they fair without our backing.

Wogan definitely sounded like he was thinking about packing it in last night. Didn't he say something like "it's not funny any more" when talking about the political voting? Reckon there's only so many times you can get a laugh out of Iceland giving Denmark 12 points and vice versa.

Andorra giving 12 points to the execrable Spanish entry was a highlight I thought.

Does the financial contribution from the UK come directly from the BBC? If so I'd have thought there's a good argument for walking away and spending it somewhere else.

EDIT: And the Scandinavian countries have been voting for their mates for a long time. The Iceland/Denmark example has been going on for ages.

as has the cyprus/greece and to an extent the UK and Ireland. it needs to go back to the judges, because its becoming even more farcical. the only problem there is the fact that they wont make a fortune in telephone voting. the amount of eastern European migrant workers in western Europe is also distorting it. Ireland have been recently giving their top points to Latvia or Lithuania

don't know about this year, but the last couple of times i stumbled across the eurovision coverage it appeared that the whole event had been hijacked both on stage and behind the scenes.

the habitually camp and/or schmaltzy performances of the acts notwithstanding... the sober and earnest delivery of the on-stage presenters, and cheesy continuity of tourism-promoting between the acts appeared to have been replaced by in your face gay/queer showboating. i'm not bothered by this turn of events, given my lack of interest in such cliched spectacles, but it does seem curious that such a long-established institution has been so quickly dismantled and reworked.

while, again the predictability of minor acts of score-settling/back-scratching still exists from the old guard, the vote-counting procedure (which used to be the only part of the show worth watching) has degenerated from having an air of gravitas, to being asphyxiated seemingly by a sinister plot to reconfigure the iron curtain so as to destroy the new europe from within.

the whole thing is unwatchable and is a farce devoid of any lightheartedness. even wogan's eye-twinklingly deadpan pithy commentary has become suffused with a barely-concealed anger for the new status quo.

it must be a shame that what was for many years a celebration of unity in diversity is now a triumph of division through expansion.

i guess lordi must have been a brief spanner in the works of the new machine. a machine that has since crushed dustin the turkey's follow-up attempt to sabotage the cultural abattoir.

l'ancienne europe - nul points, indeed.

It's nothing to do with the UK's foreign policy and everything to do with the eastern block countries voting for their mates.

Your right of course, but I dont think you can discount our plummeting reputation in Europe either, of which Blair and Herr Thatchler have played significant roles egged on by the Murdoch circus

It's not like the rest of the western European countries get loads of votes in comparison to us. Even the Scandinavian countries are at it now, following the lead of the Balkan countries and now the ex-Russians.

Your right of course, but I dont think you can discount our plummeting reputation in Europe either, of which Blair and Herr Thatchler have played significant roles egged on by the Murdoch circus

Regarding the UK participants I think you are both overanalyzing. As far as I can remember all of the recent year's UK representatives in the ESC have been absolute crap. Not even the western countries have voted for them except Ireland.

Most likely an Eastern European county would have won this year even if you just counted the western votes, but not necessarily Russia thought.

What happened to the Irish entry? I heard it was disqualified.

Lost in the semi-finals - an attempt to screen out some of the ex-Soviet states which clearly didn't work so well.

France's entry was class, but then Sebastian Tellier is awesome.

Guest Anders Honoré
don't know about this year, but the last couple of times i stumbled across the eurovision coverage it appeared that the whole event had been hijacked both on stage and behind the scenes.

the habitually camp and/or schmaltzy performances of the acts notwithstanding... the sober and earnest delivery of the on-stage presenters, and cheesy continuity of tourism-promoting between the acts appeared to have been replaced by in your face gay/queer showboating. i'm not bothered by this turn of events, given my lack of interest in such cliched spectacles, but it does seem curious that such a long-established institution has been so quickly dismantled and reworked.

while, again the predictability of minor acts of score-settling/back-scratching still exists from the old guard, the vote-counting procedure (which used to be the only part of the show worth watching) has degenerated from having an air of gravitas, to being asphyxiated seemingly by a sinister plot to reconfigure the iron curtain so as to destroy the new europe from within.

the whole thing is unwatchable and is a farce devoid of any lightheartedness. even wogan's eye-twinklingly deadpan pithy commentary has become suffused with a barely-concealed anger for the new status quo.

it must be a shame that what was for many years a celebration of unity in diversity is now a triumph of division through expansion.

i guess lordi must have been a brief spanner in the works of the new machine. a machine that has since crushed dustin the turkey's follow-up attempt to sabotage the cultural abattoir.

l'ancienne europe - nul points, indeed.

That's an epic analysis of a show devoted to simply being camp all over europe.

If the UK number would have had the ice skater it would have won, as it was it had nothing to distract the audience from how crap it was. That's all. The irish turkey was cheated out of the final place since it would have gotten all the joke/protest votes in the final and won it had he been there, clearly.