By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

When you go to the Cinema to choose a film to watch - which is best for you?

Andy @ Allerton

Which is your favourite type of film that you would pay money to see  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one of the below..

• Horror
    • Science-Fiction
    • Fantasy
    • Comedy
    • Art Film/Film Noir
    • Action
    • Historical/Epic
    • Non-Fiction
    • Animated
    • Thriller/Suspense
  2. 2. Or one of these..

• Musical
    • Western
    • War/Anti-War
    • Drama
    • Romantic
    • Crime/Gangster
    • Sports

This poll is closed to new votes

Same as Caruso - as it's a fairly long trip it's a bit of a necessity.

Type of film - not usually dependent on who is in it, and if were me to please me only, then more of a mix/blend than the categories offered, but the main thing is it should be good.

Generally I prefer more serious films, be they historical, drama, Sci-fi , western thriller, political - whatever. I'm not interested in horror, fantasy (sword and conspicuous amounts of velvet an leather, etc) or musicals - with the possible exceptions of Singin' in the Rain and Cabaret - mainly because they are solidly plot driven.

I hate going to the cinema so it generally has to be a film i really want to see, though I do relent every now and again cause the missus loves going to cinema, though generally i try to talk her into going with one of her mates instead.

Last one i went to cinema for was Pans Labrynth

Guest Scot
I'm not sure I'd categorise Art Film/Film Noir together

One thing I hate about NetFlix is that there are no classifications for independent or foreign movies. Anything that's not in English is 'foreign' - no way of telling if it's drama/comedy/horror or whatever.

I go to the cinema with a specific genre in mind e.g. 'animated historical epic'. If there is nothing on in that genre, then I use a complex set of mathematical equations to find the next 'best' genre to my original choice. According to my results, the next best genre to 'animated historical epic' is 'action comedy' and the closest film I could find to this at the weekend was 'Ironman.' I wasn't disappointed as I was quite literally crying by the end of it. Pip's 'Filmgenre-O-Meter' strikes again!

Edited by Pipnasty

sweets are expensive?

I hate the cinema as I am really fidgety and have a low concentration span, and find my missus starts hating me....

Oh she started hating you a long time ago, but she has self-esteem issues and doesn't think she can do any better

As a follow on question, which is your favourite type of film that you would not pay money to see?

I would have to say non-fiction romantic horror. I pride myself on never having paid to see such a film.

If I really want to see a Western, but can't face the pospect of a Musical, what do I do if the cinema's showing Paint Your Wagon? Stand around in the lobby eating popcorn for hours trying to resolve the conundrum?

If I really want to see a Western, but can't face the pospect of a Musical, what do I do if the cinema's showing Paint Your Wagon? Stand around in the lobby eating popcorn for hours trying to resolve the conundrum?

Only a Filmgenre-O-Meter can solve that one.

Like this one;

old%20computer%20image.jpg

As a follow on question, which is your favourite type of film that you would not pay money to see?

Favourite type is hard to nail down...my favourite range of films goes from 2001, Downfall, The 400 blows, Cabaret, Godfather 2, JFK, Million Dollar Baby, The Ipcress file, Matrix trilogy and say, Unforgiven. If you can find a thread running through that lot...maybe low on laughs?

I wouldn't pay to see a film based on a stage musical - Evita, South Pacific etc, Sword and Sorcery or a horror film or some teen angst thing (even when I was a teen). The worst film I ever got dragged into unwillingly at the cinema was 'Car Wash' The best dragged into unwillingly 'Christiane F'.

I go to the cinema with a specific genre in mind e.g. 'animated historical epic'. If there is nothing on in that genre, then I use a complex set of mathematical equations to find the next 'best' genre to my original choice. According to my results, the next best genre to 'animated historical epic' is 'action comedy' and the closest film I could find to this at the weekend was 'Ironman.' I wasn't disappointed as I was quite literally crying by the end of it. Pip's 'Filmgenre-O-Meter' strikes again!

Which vesion are you on? I use the 2005 mk.II

It's pretty good by and large but it tends to be a bit flaky when it's algorithms aren't calibrated properly for musical-noir with subtitles.