By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Execution by lethal injection

Ripley

I would agree but the practical definition of harm is an issue with euthanasia. Hence, the move towards considering death with dignity in recent years as an alternative approach to 'mercy killing'. In fact, euthanasia actually means 'the good death' and not mercy killing anyway.

Since posting earlier, it has been in my mind that my friend (the nurse) might yet end up in deepus schittus medically: would I then try to convince the doctors of his wishes? He was quite sincere about this twenty odd years ago.

I would agree but the practical definition of harm is an issue with euthanasia. Hence, the move towards considering death with dignity in recent years as an alternative approach to 'mercy killing'. In fact, euthanasia actually means 'the good death' and not mercy killing anyway.

Since posting earlier, it has been in my mind that my friend (the nurse) might yet end up in deepus schittus medically: would I then try to convince the doctors of his wishes? He was quite sincere about this twenty odd years ago.

1113199[/snapback]

How about asking him today if he still feels the same?

Yes, I thought of that. But the possibility remains that he gets stuffed before I can initiate that conversation...

As it was a real example and not hypo, I thought I'd share it.

As you can imagine, with hordes of uni bound students down the years, this sort of topic has been debated ad-nauseam in my classes. I suppose I know the various approaches and positions inside out. Still can't imagine what exactly I would do though...

I never understand why we have to define euthanasia as voluntary.

What exactly is involutary euthanasia.

1113557[/snapback]

In 1939 there was a secret directive issued by a certain A. Hitler (Euthanasiebefehl) ordering the killing of "those unworthy of life" according to his own definition of course.

Maybe that's why the term "voluntary" has become necessary.

Posts merged:

It's not just them though is it? Didn't Clinton refuse clemency while Governor of Arkansas and already a presidential candidate. It's hard to believe that political expediency didn't override personal conviction there.

1113011[/snapback]

Given Bill's questionable morals in granting a full pardon to certain family members I don't think political expediency comes into it as opposed to reugnant moral avarice- what could a mentally defective criminal have offered him by way of gain? Especially in the deep South.

In 1939 there was a secret directive issued by a certain A. Hitler (Euthanasiebefehl) ordering the killing of "those unworthy of life" according to his own definition of course.

Maybe that's why the term "voluntary" has become necessary.

1113584[/snapback]

Thankyou.

Essentially then involuntary euthanasia would be murder.

That's why I struggle. Surely euthanasia is by definition voluntary.

Likewise execution by injection. By definition the act must involve a lethal dosage.

Essentially then involuntary euthanasia would be murder.

That's why I struggle. Surely euthanasia is by definition voluntary.

Likewise execution by injection. By definition the act must involve a lethal dosage.

1113600[/snapback]

Agreed.

Both involuntary euthanasia and execution, by lethal injection or otherwise, are murder.

Edited by SteveT

Agreed.

Both involuntary euthanasia and execution, by lethal injection or otherwise, are murder.

1113618[/snapback]

Presumably not (in the US). The former would be illegal (and therefore murder) and execution by lethal injection is legal and therefore not??

According to a website on Euthanasia, this is the original text of the Hippocratic Oath.

I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion.

1112967[/snapback]

A double whammy..

Presumably not (in the US). The former would be illegal (and therefore murder) and execution by lethal injection is legal and therefore not??

1113622[/snapback]

Sorry. I should have added "in my opinion" regarding execution.

I would call it state-sanctioned murder.

What about the doctors in Middle Eastern countries who remove hands, eyes etc as surgical procedures where the punishment has been handed down by a court.

Saw a doc. on this a few weeks ago and it was incredibly disturbing to see actual footage of them amputating a perfectly healthy hand and then bandaging the guy up.

Guest Anders Honoré
In the spirit of enquiry.

As I understand it, the condemned prisoner is executed by a cocktail of drugs, which first tranquilise him/her and then cause a heart attack and death results after anything up to half an hour.

Presumably medical practitioners were responsible for devising and implementing this particular form of execution, which, unlike hanging, shooting or Old Sparky needs more than just the tools of the trade but a high degree of knowledge and expertise.

How does this square with their oath to preserve life and to what degree does the inventor of the method differ from, say, Dr Mengele?

1112618[/snapback]

I would have thought it as likely to be devised by a biochemist or human biologist, neither of whom are bound to such oaths.

re the Pentothal: "It's believed by some that after this anesthetic is delivered, the inmate doesn't feel anything."

Am I the only one to shudder slightly while reading that line?

As a side note: I watched Million Dollar Baby t'other night. Not exactly cerebral, but in the context of earlier posts, relevant and coincidental. Kept thinking of 'Whose life is it anyway?'