Election 2019

Pandora’s box had been opened, no way 2nd referendum or even a majority government revoking Article 50 was putting it back.

And yet - what - 53% of people voted for parties offering a 2nd Referendum?

Consistent with polling on the matter for over a year

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I’m overreacting but this does genuinely feel like a scary time. I look at how Brexit just came from nothing to dominate and who benefitted from it. I look at the Windrush scandal and how it came from deliberate cruelty designed to distract and consolidate.

People say Brexit is done now but the onslaught won’t stop. Right now I can come up with a scenario where people will genuinely be arguing that the NHS was built by our forefathers but there are too many people using it so you need to prove you go back three generations. If Johnson stood there and argued it and the right took it up then it would be a mainstream idea that loads viewed as common sense in no time. This is a specific thing that I have plucked out of my head but as outrageous as it seems, just watch stuff like this start to happen more and more. They can just create non issues at any time and point to some form of other and rally support.

I remember growing up and all of a sudden all you ever heard about was bogus asylum seekers, just out of thin air, that was the biggest thing ever.

Look at this now

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-queens-speech-voter-id-polling-station-a9253386.html

Loads will say “don’t be silly” but they’re going to put the squeeze on and what seems ridiculous now will be well within the bounds of normal. My son’s mixed race, I’m not worried about him being called a name or one of those things in that “Someone in America posts a link to someone doing a bad Racism” thread that exists here. This is the real s***. Him being told he has to leave the country* because his dad’s parents were born in a non CANZUK colony.

*literally, not as a slur

Brexit was cooked up for a decade, it was all over the right wing press about how dreadful the EU is and what a danger to our way of life it was.

If you reach into Brexit I think that it goes back to empire and interpolated with austerity. As an election issue however it was a recent phenomenon. Prior to the referendum being called it wasn’t high on people’s lists of concerns. The issue was it tapped into things that have been running through this country forever. Just like the next Brexit will.

If you reach into Brexit I think that it goes back to empire and interpolated with austerity. As an election issue however it was a recent phenomenon. Prior to the referendum being called it wasn’t high on people’s lists of concerns. The issue was it tapped into things that have been running through this country forever. Just like the next Brexit will.

I think it was a big issue for many people, particularly in the north of England, for a long time. Wage stagnation/deflation particularly amongst construction and manufacturing workers has been blamed entirely on FOM in lots of areas, rightly or wrongly. Its driven a large part of the leave vote along with perceived loss of identity many towns.

I think it was a big issue for many people, particularly in the north of England, for a long time. Wage stagnation/deflation particularly amongst construction and manufacturing workers has been blamed entirely on FOM in lots of areas, rightly or wrongly. Its driven a large part of the leave vote along with perceived loss of identity many towns.

I saw things which said that they were all issues but not much that said that coalesced into a demand to leave the EU. There was more anti Londoncentric feeling but I don’t know everybody so I happy to be wrong. I still think it shows that you can take issues and whip them into a populist right move as long as they resonate with something.

I saw things which said that they were all issues but not much that said that coalesced into a demand to leave the EU. There was more anti Londoncentric feeling but I don’t know everybody so I happy to be wrong. I still think it shows that you can take issues and whip them into a populist right move as long as they resonate with something.

I'd agree with your latter point entirely.

Undoing 40 years of work and cooperation on the basis of a simple majority vote was spectacularly stupid.

That was never how the original legislation was debated and voted through.

It miraculously became that way thanks to Cameron’s utter ineptitude and cowardice.

Maybe I’m overreacting but this does genuinely feel like a scary time. I look at how Brexit just came from nothing to dominate and who benefitted from it. I look at the Windrush scandal and how it came from deliberate cruelty designed to distract and consolidate.

People say Brexit is done now but the onslaught won’t stop. Right now I can come up with a scenario where people will genuinely be arguing that the NHS was built by our forefathers but there are too many people using it so you need to prove you go back three generations. If Johnson stood there and argued it and the right took it up then it would be a mainstream idea that loads viewed as common sense in no time. This is a specific thing that I have plucked out of my head but as outrageous as it seems, just watch stuff like this start to happen more and more. They can just create non issues at any time and point to some form of other and rally support.

I remember growing up and all of a sudden all you ever heard about was bogus asylum seekers, just out of thin air, that was the biggest thing ever.

Look at this now

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-queens-speech-voter-id-polling-station-a9253386.html

Loads will say “don’t be silly” but they’re going to put the squeeze on and what seems ridiculous now will be well within the bounds of normal. My son’s mixed race, I’m not worried about him being called a name or one of those things in that “Someone in America posts a link to someone doing a bad Racism” thread that exists here. This is the real s***. Him being told he has to leave the country* because his dad’s parents were born in a non CANZUK colony.

*literally, not as a slur

You’re not over reacting. People are under reacting.

Maybe people are over reacting though. Outcomes for the poorest and the most vulnerable haven’t changed yet. We focus on policy and opinion more than outcomes. I’m not saying wait and see.

what? Things haven’t changed because we’re not out of Europe yet. But it will get worse. 100% it will get worse because it’s a worse deal.

Also everyone I know who’s foreign is disgusted with what’s happening in the uk. This isn’t over reacting. It’s great people being told to f*** off because they are foreign.

Maybe people are over reacting though. Outcomes for the poorest and the most vulnerable haven’t changed yet. We focus on policy and opinion more than outcomes. I’m not saying wait and see.

Doesn't policy lead to outcomes? Better to head off bad policy before waiting for the negative impact?

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, faced criticism after he told parliament he had dropped a promise to replace the EU law that allows child refugees stranded in Europe to reunite with family members in the UK after Brexit.

Clare Moseley, the director of Care4Calais, said the news was devastating for those working with young asylum-seekers.

“I’m so shocked. This will have a massive impact. Just yesterday I was with an Afghan boy whose mother is dead, his father is in the UK, there is nowhere else that boy should be. The idea that he won’t have that right to join his father at all is horrific. How could anyone think there is anywhere else that boy should be?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/22/brexit-johnson-condemned-for-dropping-pledge-to-replace-family-reunion-law

well done Stoke

The Home Office has been accused of ignoring more than 1,400 offers from local councils to house child refugees, prompting criticism that Boris Johnson’s government is defying its obligations to offer sanctuary to vulnerable minors. Councils across the UK have volunteered to take hundreds of unaccompanied children from across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. However, numbers of arrivals are said to be “pitifully low to nonexistent”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/21/home-office-ignore-offers-of-uk-homes-for-child-refugees

nice one Workington

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, faced criticism after he told parliament he had dropped a promise to replace the EU law that allows child refugees stranded in Europe to reunite with family members in the UK after Brexit.

Clare Moseley, the director of Care4Calais, said the news was devastating for those working with young asylum-seekers.

“I’m so shocked. This will have a massive impact. Just yesterday I was with an Afghan boy whose mother is dead, his father is in the UK, there is nowhere else that boy should be. The idea that he won’t have that right to join his father at all is horrific. How could anyone think there is anywhere else that boy should be?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/22/brexit-johnson-condemned-for-dropping-pledge-to-replace-family-reunion-law

well done Stoke

The Home Office has been accused of ignoring more than 1,400 offers from local councils to house child refugees, prompting criticism that Boris Johnson’s government is defying its obligations to offer sanctuary to vulnerable minors. Councils across the UK have volunteered to take hundreds of unaccompanied children from across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. However, numbers of arrivals are said to be “pitifully low to nonexistent”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/21/home-office-ignore-offers-of-uk-homes-for-child-refugees

nice one Workington

They’re doing this. They’re being what they promised to be. It might not be happening to you but stuff that was deemed unacceptable is now run off the mill. They’ll just do more and more.

You don’t need to “wait and see” you can just “see”.

Yes, and I think from that point of view, it is a corollary of Blairite policies - their failure to stand up to concerns around immigration and FoM was what allowed the debate to fester and the concerns grow.