I could see things going like a row of dominos post-Brexit, albeit a slow process.

I suspect that the calls for Scottish independence will really gain some momentum. And what then if they want to join the EU?

Stickier still is NI. How this new border protocol and “backstop” is supposed to work is beyond me. It’s honestly something that I can’t bear to think about. The prospect of things breaking down into a new round of Troubles is terrible to think about.

And that leaves Wales. The term “England and Wales” lumped together has always irked the sh*t out of me. Like it’s a throwaway reference to some colony. There has never been very little pushback from politicians or TBF the public on that, but I could see that changing with a big negative impact from Brexit.

Imagine two independent nations with long borders with a post-Brexit England? It’s the recipe for a total sh*t-show.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the questions that sunk the last Scottish independence referendum such as the issue of currency, a central bank have still not been resolved.  I would expect those questions to be raised again if a new referendum was held.

Part of me thinks the Nats wouldn't be stupid enough to propose a referendum without ensuring they had answers to those questions but everything currently points to them doing exactly that. To be honest I wish they would focus their attention on the education system, the spiraling drug problem, the extreme lack of social and/or affordable housing, lack of funding for mental health facilities, you know things they could actually make a difference with, the list is endless but given they still haven't come up with an answer to a statement that has been uttered for 30+ years - 'the oil is running out' - I'm on a hiding to nothing and until the Nats have answers and solutions to these and other questions they're in for a hiding when it comes to the ballot box too.

Edited by DPD1973

Welsh independence will only become feasible once people see Scotland make a success of their own independence.

Welsh independence will only become feasible once the majority of Welsh people wake up to how f***ed we're getting by Westminster. That's something that's not unique to Wales of course, but we seem to be way too f***ing acceptant of it compared to other areas of the UK

Edited by Gethin

Welsh independence will only become feasible once the majority of Welsh people wake up to how f***ed we're getting by Westminster. That's something that's not unique to Wales of course, but we seem to be way too f***ing acceptant of it compared to other areas of the UK

very true and don't overlook the fact that there's a very large number of English people in Wales as a fraction of the population.

The point about being f***ed by Westminster is a good one and, as I said, thus will become more obvious once Scotland has become independent and is seen to prosper as a result.

Think its also about people getting an understanding of, and a level of confidence about, our ability to sustain ourselves. There isnt enough understanding of that yet (me included).