Sign in to follow this  
Bootser

New York

In hotel room, my youngest is ill in bed with a sickness bug or something this morning, poor kid, she's devastated.

Yeah. It's going around. Rotavirus. Load her up with Pedicure and/or Gatorade. Flush it out.

Off to NYC next week with my parents as part of my mum's 70th birthday celebrations.

Been 3 times before, so done a lot of the usual/obvious tourist stuff: Empire State, Rockefeller, High Line, Wall Street, Staten Island Ferry, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, MoMA, Met, Natural History Museum, Central Park, Shops etc...

What are the hidden gems or not obvious attractions?

I want to see a bit of Brooklyn as I've not really been apart from walking over the bridge and going to Grimaldis. Any recommendations?

Is Coney Island worth the trip on the metro?

What are the best movie tours? 

As ever any decent pub and restaurant recommendations always gratefully received!

We are staying by Penn Street Station.

Thanks in advance.

Coney Island is kind of a bit Blackpool. I'd do it. It's a good hour on the subway, you could just as easily think this is s*** as this is great, but you won't know if you don't do it.

Williamsburg is full of stuff these days and DUMBO is super-touristy now - get great views of the city from there - Williamsburg Bridge isn't as attractive as BK Bridge, but you'll get over the river in a fraction of the time. The BK & Manhattan Bridges will take you to DUMBO.

Cobble Hill/Fort Greene are worth a wander around, there's a decent park in Ft Greene - not really busy or anything just quieter NYC, a bit of a throwback to how it may have been decades ago. Also Red Hook but there's v little there aside from local bars & spots.

Never done the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens but everyone (except me) seems to go. If you like some art - PS1 in Long Island City combines that with an outdoor bar, DJs and stuff. https://www.moma.org/calendar/?happening_filter=All+events&location=ps1

Have a look at the Seaport but it's a disaster now, totally Bridge & Tunnel where it used to be great, but still it's away from the main part of Manhattan, mostly pedestrianized & there are loads of food/drink spots there. Nearby check out the Dead Rabbit - bar - it's excellent

If you haven't done the HiLine, you should. It's very good. The museums are excellent of course. Moma, Natural History and The Met.

Coney Island isn't my cup of tea, but as Macca indicated, some people love it. The aquarium down there is supposed to be ok. Brighton Beach is an interesting neighborhood and right next to CI. Full of Russians. Bronx Zoo is very good too.

What kind of food do you like?

Food? That is where it gets arkward.

Wife is a vegan and my mum is a very conservative eater in true 70 year old scouse ma tradition. She does like chinese though. Italian is also fine.

Eating vegan isn't too difficult. Always lots to choose from in any place.

Chinese, well Chinatown. Wo Hop (downstairs) is always my go-to place. Very basic, but cheap and quick. Nom Wah is good for Dim Sum. Fancier places are more uptown if the Chinatown grunge isn't your thing.

If you haven't tried it, Vietnamese is excellent. It is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. Quite a few places around for that.

I found this Thai place called Sala Thai on the Upper West Side which is awesome. The Dublin House is nearby which is a dingy old bar with in my opinion, the best Guinness in America.

For Italian there are a ton of places in Little Italy, and its worth a walk around there. But, they are pretty touristy. Three that I'd recommend are in midtown and are Patsy's (Frank Sinatra's old hang out), Osteria al Doge, and for the experience alone, Carmine's (massive portions and a mad house - two locations). At the latter I would seriously recommend the chicken parmigiana. It's the best anywhere.

Harlem is pretty gentrified now and has some excellent soul food places. It's worth a walk around to shop at the street scene. It's not quite Canal Street, but it's getting there.

Two other suggestions for places to sightsee. Hudson Yards is new and supposed to be pretty cool. I haven't been there personally yet. Also the Intrepid Air Space Museum. Some very cool stuff there and all on an aircraft carrier.