Sign in to follow this  
Bootser

New York

the Knicks are terrible, lost 25 out of their last 26 games. Hilariously bad team. And being as basketball is generally crap imo, seeing the worst team in the league is probably not a great idea for a non fan, or any fan!

Hockey is great, need any specific info about the Rangers or Madison Square Garden - ask away :)

Does the fact they are called "Rangers" make all their fans neanderthal religious bigots (purely by association)? :D

Assuming that is not the case - what's the experience like? Beers beforehand, what time is kick-off, how long does it all last? Preferred seats? Best way/place to get tickets - not sure if I'll be shelling out for them or someone will get corporates.

Just that kind of stuff really - all informed opinion is even more greatly appreciated than the ill-informed, yet strongly held, views that are usually expressed on here :)

Does the fact they are called "Rangers" make all their fans neanderthal religious bigots (purely by association)? :D

Assuming that is not the case - what's the experience like? Beers beforehand, what time is kick-off, how long does it all last? Preferred seats? Best way/place to get tickets - not sure if I'll be shelling out for them or someone will get corporates.

Just that kind of stuff really - all informed opinion is even more greatly appreciated than the ill-informed, yet strongly held, views that are usually expressed on here :)

haha, no, the Rangers name thing doesn't carry! Although plenty of Rangers fans can be highly opinionated a-holes, just like footy fans :D

As for experience - generally a very good one! It's an entertaining sport. And MSG is a great arena to visit regardless really. Recently renovated,and very impressive inside.

Most Rangers games start just after 7pm. But do check, as occasionally they have other start times. A game will last about 2 and a half hours. Doors open about 50 mins before it starts. But if you do go corporate and get suites or corporate seats, there are some sections which allow for earlier club entry.

If you are shelling out, check Stubhub.com

Rangers games always sell out, so depending on who they are playing, prices can be very high.

Beer before hand - many many places close by. Have a look here for just some bars close by to MSG:

Rangers bar guide.

In the arena, many choices of beers, they do cost about $10 a go though. And as mentioned above - bring photo i.d. they ask for i.d. from everyone.

Edited by Benitez

Great stuff. Ta.

They're playing away the NY Islanders and at home to the Canadiens while I'm there. The Canadiens at Madison Square Gardens is obviously the preference.

And they're playing the Hurricanes at home as well on the Sat night I'm there.

I guess I could do both as they're on different nights - Nets and the Rangers.

I don;t like to miss out.

yes indeed. The Islanders arena is a dump and also a right pain to get to from the city, it's quite the trip. The team is moving to Brooklyn next year, so it'll be a lot better, but this season they are still at their old arena out on Long Island.

So yeah, the game at MSG is the one to go for.

yes indeed. The Islanders arena is a dump and also a right pain to get to from the city, it's quite the trip. The team is moving to Brooklyn next year, so it'll be a lot better, but this season they are still at their old arena out on Long Island.

So yeah, the game at MSG is the one to go for.

Are they moving to The Barclays Center (stupid American spelling)?

I think I'll just go to one of these games so I can tick MSG off the list.

yes they are. They have a 25 year lease on the place I think it is. So start of next season that is where the Islanders will call home.

What sport, if any, is there in New York at the end of this month?

I'll get you sorted mate. What do you want to see?

Nets is the best scene. The Knicks are absolutely f*cking horrible. They make QPR look like Barcelona. Rangers are the best in town right now and the best fans too.

RP -- I'm leaving that event in the morning but will come in on Friday night instead. Maybe stay over for the photo in the morning if we are playing. Shift it over to the Saturday night if we play on Sunday.

In the arena, many choices of beers, they do cost about $10 a go though. And as mentioned above - bring photo i.d. they ask for i.d. from everyone.

Has to be a passport if you're foreign, they wouldn't accept my driving license in a couple of them.

Has to be a passport if you're foreign, they wouldn't accept my driving license in a couple of them.

that's poor form! They do that in MSG too? They really should accept that. I just think it's cos some places may be ignorant to any i.d that isn't a US driving licence. I use a resident's card as i.d. and that gets some double takes, and they seem to take ages to find the date of birth on it. Despite being right there in the middle of it.

couple yeas ago I ended up getting a beer for someone at CitiField where the New York Mets play, cos he had no id. He was on his holidays in the US, and he had no idea they would ask for i.d. and why should he, being that he was a man who must have been in his 40's. It's farcical. The guy serving him basically said he could ask someone in the queue to buy him a beer! I was standing behind so just said I'd do it.

They even have rules for that though. You can only buy 2 drinks at a time, so one person can't buy for a whole group of people.

4 seems a bit more generous! Obviously it's also to attempt to stop people drinking too much, but at MSG, the prices tend to do that for me anyway :D

I'm in NYC when we play United. So, that will be a Sunday 8:30am kick off NYC time.

Any decent bar recommendations to watch the match, other then the 11th Street Bar.

I'm staying around Times Sq/W 40th Street - so I wouldn't mind somewhere in that vicinity.

when I went back in 2003 I had a great time... one of the best breaks I have had..

I booked onto a helicopter tour beforehand.... turned out to be one of the best things we did as it flew us around statue of liberty and over ground zero and then all the way up to Yankee stadium and the Bronx and over areas we were never gonna be able to get to on foot in the time we had..

were only up in the air 15 mins but it felt longer and was a fantastic experience.

These are the guys we went with... http://www.libertyhelicopter.com/

I'm in NYC when we play United. So, that will be a Sunday 8:30am kick off NYC time.

Any decent bar recommendations to watch the match, other then the 11th Street Bar.

I'm staying around Times Sq/W 40th Street - so I wouldn't mind somewhere in that vicinity.

I've never watched footy there, but I've been to the bar, and it's very much a sports orientated place showing footy and many other sports: Tir Na Nog: on W39th st between 8th and 9th aves.

I've never watched footy there, but I've been to the bar, and it's very much a sports orientated place showing footy and many other sports: Tir Na Nog: on W39th st between 8th and 9th aves.

it says it does not open till noon on Sundays.

will it open early for the game?

Most of the Irish bars show the footie now. The are very few that don't. Just google them in the area you are and they should have schedules posted on their websites.

it says it does not open till noon on Sundays.

will it open early for the game?

Yup.

Most of the Irish bars show the footie now. The are very few that don't. Just google them in the area you are and they should have schedules posted on their websites.

Yup.

cheers

not been there. It's very new - the Bootroom part of it that is. Opened last year sometime. It's down in the Financial District.

Edited by Benitez