By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Art thread - haven't had one in ages

Earl Hafler

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good stuff

what else is hot at the moment Earl?

had a mooch around Place de Vosges in Paris last week

some tat but some amazing sculptures in the galleries there...wish I could afford a few, and a house big enough to put them in where they'd show well

Mr Blobby would've been better. He's just pissing about going "Oh, look at me. How ironically controversial is this?"

Bugger off Banksy!

Ah yer big wet blanket yer. Good luck to him, he isn't doing anyone any harm is he? Nice story that is.

Yeah, fair enough about the charity n all, but still, f*** off Banksy.

Can you not see the brilliance in what he's done here ?

Some modern art leaves me cold and the prices are ridiculous but this....i think it's brilliant.

Only downside will be all the copies appearing over the next few months.

It's alright that is, in like a bit of Banksy. Last year I bumped into the brother of an old friend who told me that his brother and mrs had bought an old derelict squat/drug den at auction with the aim of doing it up and selling it so they could buy their dream house boat to live on. Cut a long story short, it turns out it had a Banksy in it which they promptly sold. They now live on a nice houseboat and are doing up 8 others to sell.

Last summer I went to the Roy Litchenstein retrospective and the Mitch Griffiths show, both brilliant.

I like Banksy, never understood the criticism he gets. This is a cracking gesture.

It is a great thing he's done here. Credit to him.

The criticism he gets (from me) is down to his art being gimmicky, crass and obvious. But that's just my opinion.

It is a great thing he's done here. Credit to him.

The criticism he gets (from me) is down to his art being gimmicky, crass and obvious. But that's just my opinion.

Fair enough, i didn't word it very well its not that i don't understand him being criticised, its art and so of course it will receive criticism. Some people seem to really dislike him though.

Fair enough, i didn't word it very well its not that i don't understand him being criticised, its art and so of course it will receive criticism. Some people seem to really dislike him though.

Maybe it's due to his having emerged from street art. It's always struck me as being a bit of a hipster affectation.

His art is all the stuff that Matty says it is, and personally I don't like it at all, but one of art's jobs (and therefore artists' jobs as well) is to reflect the moods and cultural currency, and in that sense he and his work is very good , or at least does its job, in that it is representative of our age.

Edited by charlie clown

I know what you mean, but I used to see them before knowing who had done them and enjoyed them.

I think it was when that book came out that it turned.

And all the copycats you'd see, first in Brick Lane Market and then in tatty homeware stores. De-mystified him a bit, I guess. That Exit Through the Gift Shop doc is good, though.