By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Watches

The Hitman

Looking into getting a new watch,a pretty nice one and was wondering whether anybody on here has anything decent.

Thinking about either getting a Stowa,a Longines Master Collection or maybe a Tag Monaco. Is it worth looking into getting a second hand one? If so, any suggestions about where to get one?

I'm fairly into watches (at one point owned 18, have managed to sell one or two since then); I have a Tag Monaco so can answer direct questions about that. Plus would sell it to you for a decent price as it happens!! (ie 1,250 euros :)/>/> - already have it up for sale)

Stowa are watch afficinado's watches and have an excellent rep and heritage. Slightly cheaper option and arguably as good are Steinhart: Site link

I do mean arguably as some claim the QC isnt' as good as Stowa,. I have this one Nav B Uhr Vintage and find it faultless.

Sinn would be similar to Stowa in terms of prestige and price: Site

Longines have a great heritage (though it's their actual "heritage" collection I fancy most). If you want to buy a really nice Marine style watch, with excellent craftsman ship, for 10% the cost of the Longines, get yourself a Polish watch... Geralch Battory

The reasons for selecting a watch though can differ immensely - be it the bling, the name, the craft, the heritage, the price, the functions, etc etc. Of the three you particularly mention, I'd buy a Stowa every time.

Register on watch forums for reliable second hand sale opportunities, eg The watch forum

{EDIT: you'll have to edit the Steinhart links as the T in Steinhart and the WAT in watches is apparently too horrible a word to be had here )

Edited by Mr Kite

That's really helpful,thanks. I'll have a ponder about the Tag but I'm leaning away from that one to be honest. Which one is it, the blue one? The Stowa looks amazing, as does the Frederique Constant Moonphase I've just found! Too many choices!

Edited by The Hitman

That's really helpful,thanks. I'll have a ponder about the Tag but I'm leaning away from that one to be honest. Which one is it, the blue one?

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it either. It's black, from a few years back. Case and details are beautiful but oddly the strap aged very quickly and quite badly. They don't really hold their value either so think you're right! :)

There's just millions of choices, it is bewildering. My favourite in my own collection is a Bell&Ross and they have a gorgeous collection out now too. Baume et Mercier are always elegant - I'm picking up you want a dress watch?

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it either. It's black, from a few years back. Case and details are beautiful but oddly the strap aged very quickly and quite badly. They don't really hold their value either so think you're right! :)/>

There's just millions of choices, it is bewildering. My favourite in my own collection is a Bell&Ross and they have a gorgeous collection out now too. Baume et Mercier are always elegant - I'm picking up you want a dress watch?

Yeah, mainly one to wear with my suit to work so something a bit smart. Will keep looking!

I've got a Sea master, although I've never been allowed access to it

and a Raymond Weil...but my favourite watch, as Matty says, is a nice blue one - it's an Accurist I think

and leather straps seem to be irritating my skin, so there's that to think about

this year I may kill two birds with one stone and get an antique pocket watch on a chain - something that would not have looked out of place in High Noon, for which a waistcoat is essential for storage of watch, as well as general image

so sorry to hijack the thread but where do I get waistcoats? say around 10 different ones as a job lot, for £150

ta

I

this year I may kill two birds with one stone and get an antique pocket watch on a chain - something that would not have looked out of place in High Noon, for which a waistcoat is essential for storage of watch, as well as general

I have a lovely skeleton pocket watch, had it years, it's my second. The first I had when I was at art college, got it second hand from some cheap high street jewellery shop and when it stopped working I took it to a proper watch repairers He told me it was not reparable, and a pity because it was one of the first quartz watches and would have been worth quite a bit... :( You don't have to have a waist coat for it, I also wore the chain through or around a belt with the watch in my pocket.i also have a diesel 911 memorial watch, which was a present for being a best man, but mostly just use my phone now.

I have a lovely skeleton pocket watch, had it years, it's my second. The first I had when I was at art college, got it second hand from some cheap high street jewellery shop and when it stopped working I took it to a proper watch repairers He told me it was not reparable, and a pity because it was one of the first quartz watches and would have been worth quite a bit... :(/> You don't have to have a waist coat for it, I also wore the chain through or around a belt with the watch in my pocket.i also have a diesel 911 memorial watch, which was a present for being a best man, but mostly just use my phone now.

yeah the thing about that is....I need to wear waistcoats

I'd recommend a Chopard Mille Miglia. I wear it 90% of the time. I've got a pretty big watch collection and it's bloody pointless to be honest. I'll get around to selling the lot one day.

The Mille Miglia is cracking looking and really comfy too.

If you don't want a Tag but want something similar, look into a Breitling.

If you don't want a Tag but want something similar, look into a Breitling.

Breitlings likewise don't hold their value. I really wouldn't.

Yeah, mainly one to wear with my suit to work so something a bit smart. Will keep looking!

If you like the Stowa but want to take things up a notch, or two really, then check out IWC Portugese range:

www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/

I have a lovely skeleton pocket watch, had it years, it's my second. The first I had when I was at art college, got it second hand from some cheap high street jewellery shop and when it stopped working I took it to a proper watch repairers He told me it was not reparable, and a pity because it was one of the first quartz watches and would have been worth quite a bit... :(/> You don't have to have a waist coat for it, I also wore the chain through or around a belt with the watch in my pocket.i also have a diesel 911 memorial watch, which was a present for being a best man, but mostly just use my phone now.

911 is a joke.