By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

IT Managers

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

do me a favour?

We have an RFP from a prospective client and my Co has prepared a simple survey to understand to what extent the target audience - anyone who manages IT at an enterprise level - knows they have the problems which client's new products can solve.

linkage

A fiver generously donated by Cobs for your participation.

And this is a decent sized pitch, so don't hijack it please

do me a favour?

We have an RFP from a prospective client and my Co has prepared a simple survey to understand to what extent the target audience - anyone who manages IT at an enterprise level - knows they have the problems which client's new products can solve.

linkage

A fiver generously donated by Cobs for your participation.

And this is a decent sized pitch, so don't hijack it please

Are there many/any IT managers in enterprise sized companies on here?

Is Colo taken into account in this survey or is just a general difference between the two? I mean, I have looked at the survey and Colo isn't mentioned, but wondered if it was worth me banging on about it in my answers if it wasn't the means to the end.

Colo's aren't necessary that private. There has to be a lot of trust in the operator.

If a dedicated data center is to big for the customer requirements then something like a private cloud system such as vblock is an option. There is big growth in that ares.

Edited by Serko

Out of interest Macca, whats it for? I am a also Green and Sustainable IT Consultant and PM, currently working with one of the main guys who is writing the European Code of Conduct for Data Centres.

Edited by Buzz

Out of interest Macca, whats it for? I am a also Green and Sustainable IT Consultant and PM, currently working with one of the main guys who is writing the European Code of Conduct for Data Centres.

is this a whole new code or a amendment?

I'm in the middle of attempting to get my company a participant in that.

is this a whole new code or a amendment?

It's an update, but a big one. This one is in the process of being an Iso standard now it is finished. Our Government is really behind it at the moment but there are two levels to the conduct; you either try to be as close to the code as you possibly can, or meet the code criteria, which is a bit of a get out clause imo. Anything from a shelf with a server and or router/switch on it, to a whole floor full of the stuff will be classed as a data centre. That means every major gov site, or even local job centre with minimal infrastructure will be affected, but like I said, our gov is very much behind the eu push on it at the moment.

I'm in the middle of attempting to get my company a participant in that.

Do you want a hand? :)/> let me know if I can help. Who do you work for?

Edited by Buzz

It's an update, but a big one. This one is in the process of being an Iso standard now it is finished. Our Government is really behind it at the moment but there are two levels to the conduct; you either try to be as close to the code as you possibly can, or meet the code criteria, which is a bit of a get out clause imo. Anything from a shelf with a server and or router/switch on it, to a whole floor full of the stuff will be classed as a data centre. That means every major gov site, or even local job centre with minimal infrastructure will be affected, but like I said, our gov is very much behind the eu push on it at the moment.

interesting I'm sure someone in our company is aware as we are an endorser of the current code.

interesting I'm sure someone in our company is aware as we are an endorser of the current code.

Cool. There is a big drive for the energy efficiency of Data Centres, as you are probably aware, but they also want to integrate facilities management in to it. Keep and eye on Data Centre Alliance site, I think its them that are doing most on the ISO standards.

Our company is big on the energy reduction aspect of data centres. In fact we just did a Cool roadshow.

Excellent. its the cooling which is most difficult to get right, but, lots of people are doing that differently now and reducing energy costs massively! Who do you work for? (if its not rude to ask?)

Do you want a hand? smile.gif/> let me know if I can help. Who do you work for?

Yeah that would be great. I got about 90% of the way through the 2012 best practices and completing the reporting form before they brought out a revision. It'd be interesting to discuss where we are coming from and our situation and how we can best implement the EU CoC across our facility.

We're ISO27001 accredited as well so a lot of the best practices somewhat relate slightly to what we do under that.

Can you PM me?

Edited by Aunty-N.W.A

Excellent. its the cooling which is most difficult to get right, but, lots of people are doing that differently now and reducing energy costs massively! Who do you work for? (if its not rude to ask?)

Panduit