By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Apple IDs

Moose

I've been given a new Macbook Pro from work for some work we have planned. Obviously when I boot it up is going to expect me to tie it to an Apple ID. Since this is not actually my property and I'm going to have to give it up should I move jobs I'm not sure whether it is better to create a new one using my work address or use an existing personal one.

I'm leaving towards using my personal ID since it means if I do hand it back I get to keep any purchases I make tied to a personal account. I also understand that I couldn't change the email address to that of an existing account. I don't currently own any other Apple devices and don't plan to as I've always preferred Android.

Does anyone have any advice about this, I'm sure I'm not the only person to have ever been in this position.

How do I get product updates if not through the app store? I've never owned one before so I've no idea what I'm doing.

What do you mean by product updates? It will update in a similar way to a windows PC.

It may have been that RBM's Macbook was pre Mountain Lion where the OS updates are delivered through the app store.

From the app store you can choose to log in using a different Apple ID so use a work one to register and for updates. If you are buying something you'd like to remain associated with your personal account choose log in from the store menu and use the otherl account.

You're right, it's an alien world, I don't like it. I managed to swerve having to enter an ID and I'm currently weighing up dual booting Linux so I can go back to where things make sense.

OSX is unix underneath so just imagine you're using a flavour of unix! There's a console in your utilities folder that gives you the terminal.

It may have been that RBM's Macbook was pre Mountain Lion where the OS updates are delivered through the app store.

From the app store you can choose to log in using a different Apple ID so use a work one to register and for updates. If you are buying something you'd like to remain associated with your personal account choose log in from the store menu and use the otherl account.

Probably, it's about 2 and half years old, I didn't have to use an apple ID to set it up.

Yeah it seems I can do updates without the ID however I'm going to have to install things like xcode which are in the app store.

From what you say it sounds like I can install apps using different IDs on the same macbook just by signing in with the different IDs. How does that work when I come to use them though?

Am I right to assume that I can still use the apps, I just have to sign in with the appropriate ID to update them?

Edited by Moose