By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Reclining your seat on airplanes

Bailo

Prompted by this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23002635) article and a recent conversation with someone who called people who reclined their chairs after take-off as "selfish" - why is it that so many people have such a problem with it? If everyone reclined their seat, the space hasn't changed from everyone not reclining their seats, so if someone in front of you reclines theirs, just recline yours surely?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prompted by this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23002635) article and a recent conversation with someone who called people who reclined their chairs after take-off as "selfish" - why is it that so many people have such a problem with it? If everyone reclined their seat, the space hasn't changed from everyone not reclining their seats, so if someone in front of you reclines theirs, just recline yours surely?

Have you got really little legs?

I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't like it done to me. For one, it affects the drop down table that I would use.

I have done what John said above on a bus. The person in front of me (a woman) was vigoursly trying to push her chair back and I wasn't letting it happen as it would have been resting on my knee.

If you're 6'2 just kick their chair back upright and see if they fancy their chances when they turn around and see how tall you are.

I don't mind it though! Don't see why it's seen as impolite. You can recline yours as well. And the person behind can recline theirs. Repeat all the way down the plane.

I don't mind it though! Don't see why it's seen as impolite. You can recline yours as well. And the person behind can recline theirs. Repeat all the way down the plane.

It's different space though, maybe you get it back if your concern is how close the table is to your lap, but it's the leg/knee thing that bothers me. Also I prefer an upright seat regardless, slouching does my back in

i like to recline it slightly. the upright position is too upright for me, a slight recline helps a lot and doesnt hinder anyone else

it's immensely annoying if the person in front of you reclines his seat all the way, especially if that coincides with one of the meals

I reckon that people see the space infront of them as 'theirs'. So if someone infront thinks they can recline back and rob you of space, it pisses people off.

Its a bit of that for me.

EDIT: it seems that pisses is getting past the censor. That'll piss Nathan Explosion off. Seems that f*** is still censored though.

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald

i like to recline it slightly. the upright position is too upright for me, a slight recline helps a lot and doesnt hinder anyone else

it's immensely annoying if the person in front of you reclines his seat all the way, especially if that coincides with one of the meals

Well that's he other thing, food and drink spills

Just ask people in front of you to put their seat up while you eat your meal. It's only a massive c*** who would refuse.

I don't mind it though! Don't see why it's seen as impolite.

Any time I've thought about reclining the seat, I've asked the person behind if they minded if I reclined. That's being polite.

I reckon that people see the space infront of them as 'theirs'. So if someone infront thinks they can recline back and rob you of space, it pisses people off.

Its a bit of that for me.

EDIT: it seems that pisses is getting past the censor. That'll piss Nathan Explosion off. Seems that f*** is still censored though.

You really are a strange person, Rory.

I'm 6'2. If anyone recline their seat in front of me, I just recline mine. Job done.

I'm really confused by this argument: I've never been on a plane where when the seat was reclined in front, it pressed against my chest? It presses against my knees which are still in the exact same place whether my own seat is reclined or not?

Kind of agree with Stevie H - length of flight makes a difference, but I generally don't put my seat back. I don't think it makes things hugely more comfortable, yet it makes things hugely more uncomfortable / awkward for the person behind, and I don't buy the idea that if everyone puts their seat back, it cancels things out. If I'm on my laptop, or eating it's almost impossible if the person in front has their seat back, and me putting my seat back doesn't improve this.

I've also been on flights when my daughter was a few months old (so a lap infant) and the person in front hasn't just reclined their seat, but they've slammed it back, hitting my daughter in the head, and not even saying anything when she started crying.

Well there are a few different threads here. Slamming your seat back = c***.

It's polite to ask, yes, but what if a perfectly normal person (I.e. normal height, no kid on lap) says no? Even worse, if they've got theirs reclined?

Don't find a reclined seat hits my knees if I also recline my seat.

Ultimately, if its there as an option, I don't see it being impolite in using it.

I'm 6'2. If anyone recline their seat in front of me, I just recline mine. Job done.

thus p*ssing off the innocent imcumbent behind you #thatcouldbeme

you know, when someone pays for their seat they are entitled to recline it, it's not for you to decide if they should or not. If the flight attendant didn't sort it out i would spend the rest of the flight ramming the seat back as hard as i could.

I think I've met you

And I won - as I always do

Any time I've thought about reclining the seat, I've asked the person behind if they minded if I reclined. That's being polite.

If only everyone was like you (and not like Bailo)...

on the downside tear gas would never have been invented

If it's a short flight (usually with very little room) then it's a pain. Usually for the person in front as my knees are usually digging into their kidneys before the flight has taken off. Tall people should have first dibs on emergency exit/added room seats. They are few things more annoying then seeing some short a*** sitting there

Long flights (with a little more room) then tough sh*t. They recline for a reason - because it's f*cking uncomfortable to sit/sleep like that for long periods of time. If you want to sit stock upright then go ahead but don't dictate how someone else spends their journey. Unless the seat literally hits you in the face or you're massively tall. In which case have a quiet word and if that doesn't work try and blag an upgrade...

I once asked for emergency exit seats at the same time as an old dear. I was told she got it as she was 'old and a little infirm'. She was about 5ft and surely old and infirm is not the kind of person you want by an emergency exit?!

I once asked for emergency exit seats at the same time as an old dear. I was told she got it as she was 'old and a little infirm'. She was about 5ft and surely old and infirm is not the kind of person you want by an emergency exit?!

Yeah, that sounds wrong, as they normally say if you'd be unable to operate the emergency exit, you can't sit there (which is why kids normally aren't allowed on that row).