By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Ticketmaster

LondonLiverpoolFan

Got up with a monster hangover and came into the office early to try to get a few tickets to see Mickey Flanagan in Hackney next month. They went on sale at 9am.

Despite being on the phone to ticketmaster and using 2 pc's to access their site, by 9:01am I was told they only had single tickets available. I then check getmein.com and low and behold people have tickets up there for 2 and 3 times the price by 9:02am

Why are they allowed to get away with this? It's an absolute joke. Ticketmaster should have the power to prevent it, but as they own getmein they make an additional percentage on tickets sold there that they've already sold once in the first place!

:hmm:

Got up with a monster hangover and came into the office early to try to get a few tickets to see Mickey Flanagan in Hackney next month. They went on sale at 9am.

Despite being on the phone to ticketmaster and using 2 pc's to access their site, by 9:01am I was told they only had single tickets available. I then check getmein.com and low and behold people have tickets up there for 2 and 3 times the price by 9:02am

Why are they allowed to get away with this? It's an absolute joke. Ticketmaster should have the power to prevent it, but as they own getmein they make an additional percentage on tickets sold there that they've already sold once in the first place!

:hmm:

I blame Thatcher.

Yep, it's licensed touting.

Why do they not enforce a face value policy? They say they created getmein to allow people who can't attend concerts etc for whatever reason to sell their tickets directly to people who can. I've been in that situation and always sold my tickets to a friend or friend of a friend for face value. But tickets that go on sale at 9am and are up on that site 2 minutes later for triple the price is clear touting and could easily be stopped.

It's well known in the industry that the likes of Ticketmaster will pre-sell allocations to sites such as getmein. You'll never have had a chance to buy them, they'd have been allocated months ago. Getmein will be selling the tickets directly to punters at inflated cost, although the actual origin of the tickets will be obfuscated in some way on their site (ie it won't be clear they're selling it directly to you).

It's well known in the industry that the likes of Ticketmaster will pre-sell allocations to sites such as getmein. You'll never have had a chance to buy them, they'd have been allocated months ago. Getmein will be selling the tickets directly to punters at inflated cost, although the actual origin of the tickets will be obfuscated in some way on their site (ie it won't be clear they're selling it directly to you).

That seriously has to be the word of the year for this site, take a bow :applause:

Pearl Jam took on Ticketmaster's monopoly and service charges (in co-ordination with Chuck Phillips investigations) in the mid-90's and went all the way to the Supreme Court in the States.

They had backing from other artists at the start but finding venues and setting up shows became a long drawn out process and it just collapsed around them when the Justice Department gave up on it.

Face value of tickets should be higher - you'd need to have tiered pricing to prevent live entertainment becoming the preserve of the affluent, but if the demand is there at a higher price, I'd rather the artists made money as opposed to touts.

I think he's alright. Better than most of the current crop of stand ups anyway.....

Thanks

Sarah Millican made a stand last year, moving her show to venues that didn't charge inflated booking fees. Not sure if she was still selling through Ticketmaster though.

Thanks

Sarah Millican made a stand last year, moving her show to venues that didn't charge inflated booking fees. Not sure if she was still selling through Ticketmaster though.

Ha! To be fair I was talking about the mainstream ones and I've not seen your act....

And Sarah Millican is still selling on ticketmaster - http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Sarah-Millican-tickets/artist/111163

My issue is the blatantness of it. Why do they allow tickets to be listed for 3 times the value that had only been bought 2 minutes previously. Actually it's obvious why they allow it due to the additional percentage they make but I can't understand why a governing body/watchdog hasn't been able to put a stop to it. Even putting a limit on it, say face value + another 50% would be better than it is now.

I really don't understand how all these tickets sell out so quickly. It doesn't make sense.

Think a lot of professional touts use robo software. Also heard Ticketmaster are introducing or have introduced paperless tickets that can only be used by the named person, along the lines of Glastonbury

Face value of tickets should be higher - you'd need to have tiered pricing to prevent live entertainment becoming the preserve of the affluent, but if the demand is there at a higher price, I'd rather the artists made money as opposed to touts.

promoters and management will make the money as they do now, artists will still be getting ripped as they have done for decades.

Ha! To be fair I was talking about the mainstream ones and I've not seen your act....

And Sarah Millican is still selling on ticketmaster - http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Sarah-Millican-tickets/artist/111163

My issue is the blatantness of it. Why do they allow tickets to be listed for 3 times the value that had only been bought 2 minutes previously. Actually it's obvious why they allow it due to the additional percentage they make but I can't understand why a governing body/watchdog hasn't been able to put a stop to it. Even putting a limit on it, say face value + another 50% would be better than it is now.

It's touting by another name - nothing will be done til enough people shout about it. Free market economics etc