By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Where is good for lunch in town

Falconhoof

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sneaky quiet 40th birthday I'm planning, away from the family. Just me and a mate.

For reasons of nostalgia I'm going to the bluecoat and FACT, just for a walk and a sit down. Nowt fancy.

I'll probably get the train over from Manchester so we can have a few drinks, so I want to see what these people did with the old rope walks, turning it into bier.

The restaurant upstairs in the bluecoat is a great space and the food can be really good too. Haven't been for a while though.

Leaf on Bold Street is good, so is the Italian club and if Lunya are in form (just behind bluecoat) their tapas is ace. Jamie's Italian opposite John Lewis is pretty consistent for good food, but pricey for what it is.

The restaurant upstairs in the bluecoat is a great space and the food can be really good too. Haven't been for a while though.

Leaf on Bold Street is good, so is the Italian club and if Lunya are in form (just behind bluecoat) their tapas is ace. Jamie's Italian opposite John Lewis is pretty consistent for good food, but pricey for what it is.

Jamie's is not great at all

HOST on Hope St do a nice little lunch menu offer. As apparently do Il Forno, but have never been there for it.

Can confirm upstairs is Bluecoat is nice too.

They're all s***

pretty much agree

all would be laughed out of town in any civilised European city

Host isn't bad though. Combines relatively tasty dishes with reasonable prices, in nice open bright space that lends itself to the slightly quirky concept

so on a scoring basis, it scores an unbeatable 3,4,3, bringing us full circle as this should have been our formation this season, at least in an experimental 5 game phase

pretty much agree

all would be laughed out of town in any civilised European city

laughed out of very few British cities though.

That being said, Host is definitely your best bet. Although every time i've been for the last 4 or 5 times i've had that spicy crispy seabass because it's amazing.

Nolita Cantina isn't a bad shout, or Host, Quarter or Italian Club(s). Il Forno does a good lunchtime menu in that locale.

Get smashed in Bier on ludicrously strong ale, I might join you.

Edited by Mike

Nolita Cantina isn't a bad shout, or Host, Quarter or Italian Club(s). Il Forno does a good lunchtime menu in that locale.

I almost always go to one of the Italian Club places. Superb, authentic Italian. And nearer to cafe rather than restaurant prices.

Edited by charlie clown

the few times I've been The Hub it's always been fine

for what it is, it does the job

what are people's gripes with it?

I went once and it was decent and once when it was s****

The second time we had to wait ages for our food, and then they had got the order wrong so we had to wait ages more.

A few friends have had bad experiences too. It mainly seems to be service rather than the food

The beer is good though