By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Big squad overhaul likely this summer ?

David Hodgson

Seems like we've somehow got round again to that phase again when we have lots of players who get cleared out and fetch money this summer. Transfer fees shouldn't be the issue for the next phase of squad rebuilding. Getting it right (given our disastrous hit rate in the transfer market) and being prepared to commit to the right wage levels will be.

Those who are saleable might include this job lot :

Carroll £12m

Downing £9m

Skrtel £9m

Borini £8m

Coates £5m

Assaidi £3m

Pacheco £2.5m

Spearing £2m

Ngoo £1.5m

Flanagan £1m

Total : £53m

if the lot got shifted we'd need :

A first team forward

A young/squad winger

2 First team level centre backs

1 left back

1 centre mid

Send out on loan : Suso, Shelvey

like a new signing : Kelly.

NB This isn't a back door attempt at a transfer thread, though it may become one. For that I'm unrepentant.

• Replies 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have 5 players I'd be properly disappointed if they didn't start with us next season, Suarez, Gerrard. Johnson, Lucas and Sturridge. I'd also want to keep one of Skrtel and Agger and at least one of Henderson and Allen. But that's more a function of not reckoning we can upgrade enough during a window. Coutinho and Sterling I want and expect us to keep but they don't make the top 5 because they've not contributed enough though I know Sturridge is there.

NB This isn't a back door attempt at a transfer thread, though it may become one. For that I'm unrepentant.

Sound, we'll hope it doesn't though.

Daft to be looking to sell Allen after one season. There's enough potential there to warrant at least another season.

I don't see the need for both him and Henderson. Henderson is the better player. If we can recoup most of what Allen cost we could reinvest it players we need.

I won't be disappointed if he's still here next season, just think he's a bit superfluous. Was well overpriced as well, but we seem to be making a habit of that in recent years.

I don't see the need for both him and Henderson. Henderson is the better player. If we can recoup most of what Allen cost we could reinvest it players we need.

I won't be disappointed if he's still here next season, just think he's a bit superfluous. Was well overpriced as well, but we seem to be making a habit of that in recent years.

I don't think it has to be one or the other and both played well in the same team on Thursday. Shelvey is the cm we should be upgrading on in the summer imo.

I think I have 5 players I'd be properly disappointed if they didn't start with us next season, Suarez, Gerrard. Johnson, Lucas and Sturridge. I'd also want to keep one of Skrtel and Agger and at least one of Henderson and Allen. But that's more a function of not reckoning we can upgrade enough during a window. Coutinho and Sterling I want and expect us to keep but they don't make the top 5 because they've not contributed enough though I know Sturridge is there.

Not a bad way of looking at it.

I wouldn't be clearing out at all TBH as we look quite promising at the moment. I think we need another quality striker so Suarez can always play a more free role. Our shape goes when Luis is the main striker and there's never anyone to put the ball in the net. I'd sell Carroll and Borini and spend the lot on Leandro Damiao.

I've been critical of Skrtel and Agger but I'd actually keep both unless we get a big offer for either. We need two big bruising defensive centre halves to supplement them and ensure we always have a physical presence at the back. Coates out to pay towards it, and we'll save a big wage on Carra.

And we need a box to box midfield monster.

Carroll £12m

Downing £9m

Skrtel £9m

Borini £8m

Coates £5m

Assaidi £3m

I reckon that lot bring in 10-15m less than you've estimated there.

But it is all guesswork really and will depend on whether you have clubs competing for the players.

Hopefully it won't have a massive effect on what we are able to spend or mean that are priority positions that go unstrengthened.

I reckon that lot bring in 10-15m less than you've estimated there.

Yep. Always the way.

We don't need a clear-out anyway. We need to build the squad. Add some quality first-teamers allowing the younger players time to break through properly.

Not a bad way of looking at it.

I think arguments can be made for most of the matchday squad but there's none outside of that list that can't be upgraded. I also expect a lot not on the list to remain but, Borini, Assaidi, Downing, Enrique, Shelvey, Coates, one of Skrtel/ Agger, Allen/Henderson, Reina possibly, are all upgrades we can make. Do 3/4 really well keep the 5 intact and we're getting there.

Edited by Swan Red

And we need Rodgers to have another great summer in the transfer market to fix this 'yes we can still make top four!'-stroke-'should all be in division two this lot especially Skrtel and Reina and Shelvey and that' squad of ours.

We need him to have a good summer. We need 4 players and those 4 players need to replace 4 from about 10 than we have. I'm happy with pretty much any member of the current squad being with us at the start of next season but not the entire group collectively.

We had a decent window we need to build on that.

We don't need a clear-out anyway. We need to build the squad. Add some quality first-teamers allowing the younger players time to break through properly.

Definitely some truth in that, but of that list of DH's there is nobody who I wouldn't be either actively looking to sell (Carroll; Coates; Assaidi given that he obviously isn't rated; all the ones down the bottom) or at the very least open to/welcoming offers for (any of the rest).

Someone like Downing only really falls into the latter category rather than the former because of what you say - a need to ensure that we have some more older, more experienced heads in the sqaud to ease the burden on the youngsters. I'd like to think that there is a cheaper way of doing that though, and some of Downing's fee and wages could then be used to strengthen elsewhere.

Go ed let the KIC bring another seven players in, at least a dozen he should have. He's deserved it.

Depending on how we finish the season, it may not be Rodgers anyway.

Which would obviously delight you, given that you seem so convinced that us being conistent in our treatment of managers (i.e. consistently dishing out the same harsh and hasty judgements that did for Kenny) is more important than us realising that booting the manager unless he performs immediate wonders isn't really the answer/won't bring an instant turnaround (i.e. learning from our mistakes and showing a bit of patience).

Edited by kop205

We need him to have a good summer. We need 4 players and those 4 players need to replace 4 from about 10 than we have. I'm happy with pretty much any member of the current squad being with us at the start of next season but not the entire group collectively.

We had a decent window we need to build on that.

if he's brought eleven or twelve players of his picks in total by next August we'll be in for a treat next season

Double dutch: Trio of Premier League sides line up moves for Holland duo

23 Feb 2013 22:30

Feyenoord central defenders Stefan de Vrij and Bruno Martins Indi could move together as part of a £25million transfer package in the summer

Top target: Three Premier League clubs are monitoring Bruno Martins Indi Top target: Three Premier League clubs are monitoring Bruno Martins Indi

Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham are hoping to go double Dutch this ­summer.

The three clubs have ­received glowing reports about the two new central defenders in Holland’s ­national team.

Stefan de Vrij, 21, and 20 year-old Bruno Martins Indi both play for at ­Feyenoord.

They would cost ­£25million in a ­package deal this summer.

De Vrij knows about the huge Premier League ­interest and has told his club that he is not ready to sign a new deal.

He said: “I want to see what is happening now.

“I will focus on playing for the club and for Holland, but I won’t sit down with the club now about a new ­contract.”

The duo have been first choice in the Dutch ­national team under Louis van Gaal and have replaced ­Everton’s Johnny Heitinga and ­Feyenoord’s other central defender Joris Mathijsen.

Stefan de Vrij Another hit: Stefan de Vrij is also on the radar of several top clubs

The older duo were in the last World Cup Finals and European ­Championship for ­Holland.

But Van Gaal believes that De Vrij and Martins Indi will be the new stars of next year’s World Cup bid in ­Brazil.

The Premier League trio will all be present at today’s game between Feyennord and PSV Eindhoven.

And De Vrij has been ­captain of Feyennord since he was 19.