By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

São Paulo

Raj

I used to live there

BUT...Niemeyer has in depth knowledge that is more up to date than mine so let's call him to the thread first

if he doesn't show I'll come back and help;

it's more efficient that way

also if you show up on Sunday I'll impart some wisdom then

Edited by Molby

Thanks. Clubbing on Saturday night so no chance that ill be out on Sunday.

Was thinking of heading over to bertioga in sao paulo state as I might have use of accommodation out there

I've never heard of that

first of all, how long will you be out there for? Brazil is gigantic so you need to be realistic about what you do

Apparently it's about 2 hours away from São Paulo.

As you can see I know little about it. Other than its a pretty small town

But imagine will be in São Paulo for some time too

Aiming for two weeks over there minimum.

Ok. Quick google shows that its north of guaruja on the coast. That's the best I can offer

Apparently it's about 2 hours away from São Paulo.

As you can see I know little about it. Other than its a pretty small town

But imagine will be in São Paulo for some time too

Aiming for two weeks over there minimum.

Ok. Quick google shows that its north of guaruja on the coast. That's the best I can offer

there's so much to do in Sao Paolo state that for 2 weeks, I'd be tempted to stay there

Guaruja is the beach near Sao Paolo - 3 beaches actually; about an hour on the coach

very nice but nowhere near as nice as Ilha Bela, 'beautiful island' - I'd get my beach action there, remembering to get a jeep or something to take you over to the ocean facing side one day. You drive up this mountain through proper jungle, plunge through a lagoon at the other end and spend the day on this beach where they just have a few huts and fishing boats. Top tip: keep your legs sprayed during the day or you will suffer bites that seem like getting bitten by a shark compared to yer normal mosquito bites, from insects called Boraschudos (sp?) which are a kind of sand fly (also found on any kind of wild grassland)

more to follow if Niemeyer doesn't perform (although I will be checking his work for mistakes/admissions)

I've no experience of it at all but in the last couple of months I've spoken to two separate people who have been and they both had stuffed nicked whilst they were just sat on the beach. How thick/inattentive you'd have to be for that to happen I don't know so I guess it just means being vigilant. Looks a fantastic place though - one on my 'to do' list.

get driven around in a limousine

stay in the hotel and drink capuccino

go to the 'Irish' pub in Jandim Paulista

go to work in the office with more layers of barbed wire than Fort Douamont

that's what I did

I know the owner, Frank Finnegan (please say hi from me Raj) and there's also one in Pinheiros which is better

my advice (if you're single and straight Raj) would be to capitalise on your foreigner-fit lad of colour -according to YNWA status, and hit Finnegans on Saturday night. Start your pub crawl at the bottom of Rua Dos Pinheiros and work your way up, finishing at Finnegans - dozens of bars on the way. The Lone Star was one of the best, in my time, for a Brazilian/ex-pat meeting of minds. Unless the street has been demolished or something, it's a top night out. At the end, depending on how things have panned out, finish the night in a place called 'sujinho' which means little dirty place, so called because it's dirty dry.gif

but that doesn't matter because what you get is gigantic charcoal-grilled steaks - half pounders at least...what better way to finish the night at 4am?

I was 28 when I used to do this so make adjustments accordingly. In Jardims, which JAR mentions, there is the other Finnegans and again, dozens of bars. Speak loudly in English and watch the people flock to you, informing them early doors that you're English, not American.

Alternatively, if you want to walk on the wild side, hang out under flyovers, where impromptu bars have been set up ( a desk, a bench and a bookcase) where trannies and tranny prostitutes hang out in between tricks. Get to know them. Listen to stories of their lives and snort mind blowing charlie with them, sensibly placed in black bags and sold at ridiculously low prices.

so that's the night out sorted