By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mitt Romney

cymrococh

Could his stupidity, and more importantly the 'liberal' reaction to it, actually work in the opposite way as it did with Bush?

American Conservatives used Bush's gaffes as proof of his everyman status, despite the fact he was very much a product of the American elite. Will they do the same with Romney?

Also, did anyone else think the controversial thing about Romney's comments was the fact that he seemed to be implying that Jewish people are culturally 'clever with their money'?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is a total Dick.

there's nothing that the man won't say or do to get votes. total snake oil slesman.

that doesn't mean that he won't get voted in - there is an element of the polulation that loves nothing more than attacks on the so called "liberals". unfortunately a lot of them vote.

the actual reasoning behind the words is meaningless to them - the fact that the political parties would rather fight each other than achieve anything seems to totally skip the voting public.

that reminds me - i must register to vote. I can go have fun now!!

Hopefully the Hurrcane Katrina (sp?) incident made a few more people mindful of the consequences of putting a total f*cking idiot in the White House than was the case before Bush was elected.

Then again, this is America so they've probably convinced themselves (via prayer probably) that it was Bill Clinton's fault.

Hopefully the Hurrcane Katrina (sp?) incident made a few more people mindful of the consequences of putting a total f*cking idiot in the White House than was the case before Bush was elected.

Then again, this is America so they've probably convinced themselves (via prayer probably) that it was Bill Clinton's fault.

I'm pretty certain they came to the conclusion that Katrina was the gays' fault.

Or worse, those not from New Orleans have forgotten or didn't really care in the first place.

I'm pretty certain they came to the conclusion that Katrina was the gays' fault.

katrina was the fault of many new orleans residents for being black.

think there's something in the GOP playing romney up as the slightly stupid yet successful candidate who the nasty elitist liberals are just having a pop at because he's done well for himself out of the american dream etc. that sort of thing tends to galvanise republican voters a bit.

but the republicans decided when obama got in that they were only going to allow him one term. they've spent four years blocking most of the positive moves he tried to do and they'll stop at nothing to get him out this time. expect it to get very, very dirty.

Americans aren't as stupid as you lot are making out. They know Romney is not a brain surgeon and they know he is an elitist jerk who wouldn't know the pressures of blue-collar life if it bit him on the a***. What is in Romney's favour is that he is not Obama and that is the most important thing about these elections to many Americans.

Americans aren't as stupid as you lot are making out. They know Romney is not a brain surgeon and they know he is an elitist jerk who wouldn't know the pressures of blue-collar life if it bit him on the a***. What is in Romney's favour is that he is not Obama and that is the most important thing about these elections to many Americans.

You're over there? I've not been following this but just how likely is it that Romney wins?

I understand that, of course, it's the reason that opposition parties always do so well in polls in comparison to elections.

How is his tour being reported, if at all? The reported opinion when he was over here was that Americans just don't care what foreigners think of him.

Apparently Obama is outspending him 3 to 1 in advertising within the swing states, makes sense since Obama has been on a fund raising tour for the last six months.

Currently yes, but Romney and more to the point the superpacs on his side have way more money in the vault and will massively outspend Obama after the conventions. Obama's campaign are trying to define Romney as the outsourcing rich guy and bury him, before the onslaught on Obama and his record begins in full.

I understand that, of course, it's the reason that opposition parties always do so well in polls in comparison to elections.

How is his tour being reported, if at all? The reported opinion when he was over here was that Americans just don't care what foreigners think of him.

As I understand it most of his tour has been concerned with raising funds from Americans abroad and pro american Isralies rather than as a policy push.

As I understand it most of his tour has been concerned with raising funds from Americans abroad and pro american Isralies rather than as a policy push.

He's made a massive dick of himself, and has shown himself incapable of even holding a prepared line given to him and instead drifting off into speaking his thoughts aloud. Can cross statesman off his plus side now

Edited by Rimbeux

He's made a massive dick of himself, and has shown himself incapable of even holding a prepared line given to him and instead drifting off into speaking his thoughts aloud. Can cross statesman off his plus side now

he really has. he's incredibly gaff-prone, not a good orator and his tax returns are going to be every bit as damaging to him as the republicans hoped that the birth certificate garbage would be to obama.

he really has. he's incredibly gaff-prone, not a good orator and his tax returns are going to be every bit as damaging to him as the republicans hoped that the birth certificate garbage would be to obama.

He should have sorted that out last year, released them and taken the hits, now it looks like he's got something sinister to hide rather than the probable fear of how much he makes a year and how low the tax rate is for investment income making him an easy target. His strategy seems to be that the media will soon get bored of it and the Obama campaign will run out of money to run ads on it, great strategy. There is nothing at all redeeming about Romney as a politician apart from maybe being able to manage an organisation, but on all the other stuff he's empty or muddled

Many liberals and libertarians voted for Obama as the anti-war candidate when his record has actually been worse than Bush when it comes to civilian death by drones, extra-judicial killing. In Libya he portrayed bombing civilians as a humanitarian act.

Three attempted and one successful overthrow of a democratically elected leader in Latin America during his term.

The long-game goes on: how much power does a US President actually have to shape foreign policy beyond PR?

He'll get in again obviously, motivated by how much worse things will be under Romney rather than any genuine belief in him.

Edited by Niemeyer

Many liberals and libertarians voted for Obama as the anti-war candidate when his record has actually been worse than Bush when it comes to civilian death by drones, extra-judicial killing. In Libya he portrayed bombing civilians as a humanitarian act.

Three attempted and one successful overthrow of a democratically elected leader in Latin America during his term.

The long-game goes on: how much power does a US President actually have to shape foreign policy beyond PR?

He'll get in again obviously, motivated by how much worse things will be under Romney rather than any genuine belief in him.

What do you make of the supposed scorecard of 'bad guys' that Obama is rumoured to have? I'm not sure these choices have been foisted on him, he's had his fair share of fall outs with the military leaders over strategy, and I'm minded to think he made a definite decision not be considered vulnerable on defence. I think he comes from the same liberal interventionist mindset as the Clintons, Blair and the Bush neocons, just been wary about making a Blair/Bush tactical error in going balls deep into those wars

Edited by Rimbeux

You're over there? I've not been following this but just how likely is it that Romney wins?

it is still a long shot, but if the economic figures don't get much better that shot is going to get shorter and shorter. Obama is coming across as very ineffectual and I realise that it is because of the Republicans blocking him, but he has not helped himself by not being a bit more vociferous about the need to pull together in the right direction. Even if they are empty words, people just want to hear them - they are looking for him to show some fire and he's too smooth for that.

Edited by DanielS

His gaffes are making the news headlines over here. On Fox he is the president-elect meeting his future fellow leaders and according to them everybody loves him outside the US. On the other channels he is contracting foot in mouth disease - NBC, ABC and CBS seem to be playing it pretty straight.

not long ago I thought Romney was the best of a bad bunch - sadly he probably still is - and ok as republicans go.

In reality, he's an utter blert.

I know - on day 1 in office, I'll start a trade war with China.

Nice idea

He's that thick or rather misinformed on economics that he believes that China's mass intervention to prop up the dollar is bad for the US!

There are enough people in China to consume the goods they produce and as time goes along and they do become more of a consumption economy, they won't need the US consumer, so will stop lending the US money and holding up the dollar. This could happen very quickly if Romney forces it.