By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Horse flies

dave

Got bitten on the back of my hand today by one and it's now swelled up like a ludicrous Merrick-like bunch of angry Cumberland sausages. Leading me to largely conceal my meat/fist appendage on our evening stroll to avoid unwanted attention.

I've gone from barely knowing about them to having 5 or 6 big angry bites in the past few weeks. I'm like catnip to them. I've got to the point were I'm re-evaluating the countryside.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got bitten on the back of my hand today by one and it's now swelled up like a ludicrous Merrick-like bunch of angry Cumberland sausages. Leading me to largely conceal my meat/fist appendage on our evening stroll to avoid unwanted attention.

I've gone from barely knowing about them to having 5 or 6 big angry bites in the past few weeks. I'm like catnip to them. I've got to the point were I'm re-evaluating the countryside.

Whilst there feasting on you they are leaving me alone . Keep up the good work .

:lol:

Just read this out to my girlfriend. She has a similar story when she got bit on the leg.

"They're c****," she added, sternly.

Saw a hornet type insect on the window this afternoon. Didn't have the usual markings though. Not seen anything like it before in England.

I f***ing hate it when Eastern European hornets come over here and take the jobs of our hornets

Weird how they love some people and not others. Over the years I have developed a sixth sense to spot the pricks, even when they are behind me I can sense when they are hovering about to go in for the kill, even when I am mowing the lawn and have headphones in.

If you are walking in long grass or around trees in the evening at this time of year, make sure you have the repellant on. Though the little hoors are well able sting through tee shirts and socks etc too.

Weird how they love some people and not others. Over the years I have developed a sixth sense to spot the pricks, even when they are behind me I can sense when they are hovering about to go in for the kill, even when I am mowing the lawn and have headphones in.

If you are walking in long grass or around trees in the evening at this time of year, make sure you have the repellant on. Though the little hoors are well able sting through tee shirts and socks etc too.

it's a must

otherwise the countryside is just the c***ryside

Thought the thread title was 'Horse files' and assumed it would be a delve into Kahnee's sinister records of equinicide.

I thought that it was Horse Flies but assumed that some university in American had been working on a project, jointly funded with Monsanto, to produce some Pegasus-like beast.

Yeah - some years, like this year, mozzies don't go near me, other years the f*****s scran the hell out of me - in fact having deja vu about this...

I started reading about these little s***s after seeing this thread. They have a predator called the horse guard wasp.

Go horse guard.

hmmm, wasps are uber-c**** though. Maybe we can set the horseflies up as like suicide bomber horseflies then they can take the wasps out too

hmmm, wasps are uber-c**** though. Maybe we can set the horseflies up as like suicide bomber horseflies then they can take the wasps out too

The tragedy is that the horses know these type of wasps get rid of those c*** flies for them and so aren't bothered by them, but horse owners still find them menacing and shoo them away, thus opening up the opportunity for these equine beasts to come under attack.

That's the real f***ing tragedy.