By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Is the shield better than the wire?

baja the hut

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only found out that Sorkin is behind The Shield, I'll be giving it a look based on that fact alone. Anyone want to confirm that it really is good ?

I have seen Too Big To Fail and Game Change and now watching The Newsroom - all have Sorkin's input and I like them all.

Too Big To Fail - Andrew Ross Sorkin

The Newsroom - Aaron Sorkin,

I only found out that Sorkin is behind The Shield, I'll be giving it a look based on that fact alone. Anyone want to confirm that it really is good ?

I have seen Too Big To Fail and Game Change and now watching The Newsroom - all have Sorkin's input and I like them all.

Is he!? I had no idea he was involved in any of those either.

EDIT: Where have you seen that, can't find anything on it...

Edited by schmuckdonald

Only seen the first series of The Shield but is a completely different show and isn't anywhere near the achievement that The Wire was. The Shield is a very typical Shawn Ryan show, which isn't to say it's bad. It's very good in parts but it'll never touch on the complexities of The Wire.

great so you judge it on that scene.

i didn't use the scene as proof.

this was for people who have seen both.

I didn't say you used the scene as proof. You offered the scene as an example under the headline 'Is the shield better than the wire?' I replied on the evidence of that scene, that it wasn't.

The thing is I used to watch The Shield quite a bit and enjoyed it. It's a really god cop show, but in my opinion that's all it is. In the Shield, the dialogue is well scripted but still sounds like a script. The Wire goes so far beyond it in terms of believability of dialogue and realisation of characters. Then you can add the story arcs and the overall interconnectivity of how the drugs, the police, the docks the newspapers and the politicians make up the whole picture and I think you can then see that it's a more ambitious show as well as being a more truthful and better crafted one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_5KP9cHRI&feature=related

Edited by mally

The Shield is amazing and the performances of Chikils and Goggins were outstanding. Still best final episode of a series I have ever seen, something which The Wire never did.

The Wire is still the best programme out there

The shield is a very good show, one of the best around. But still several rungs below The Wire. The shield is dominated by Vic Mackey and the show revolves around him.

The Wire has a multitude of characters with great diversity with professional and personal flaws. The way they evolve so many characters and their relationships in a relatively short span of time is nothing short of amazing.

the sopranos did next to nothing for me. just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

You think you know somebody...you think you have some inkling what they are like...then they turn around and say this kind of thing. I'm torn between disgust and revulsion. I just don't have the words...it is a sad, sad day.

You think you know somebody...you think you have some inkling what they are like...then they turn around and say this kind of thing. I'm torn between disgust and revulsion. I just don't have the words...it is a sad, sad day.

haha. come on, be honest. it's 'analyze this' in a fat suit.

The Sopranos is a better show than The Wire IMO. Both excellent TV.

I agree. Not by much, but just a bit more jawdropping.

Both shows are the benchmark though. The only show that comes close is breaking bad.