Sign in to follow this  
Walrus

Podcasts

You Must Remember This is really brilliant. The way she contextualises her subjects is truly excellent.

I knew all the facts of the Manson stuff already, but this series is so engaging.

I listened to a few more when I was away on holiday - the Orsone Welles/Rita Hayworth one was fascinating and the Raquel Welch one is really good. As you pointed out, a lot of it is public domain stuf but the way she brings the threads together and filters it through today's eyes is relaly good.

I was looking for something to fill the Serial void and came across these pods - a few from This American Life (where Serial originated from), plus another from a different site.

199: House on Loon Lake

NOV 16, 2001

Our entire show this week is one long story, sort of a real-life Hardy Boys mystery. More than most of our shows, this one lends itself to a Hollywood-style tagline. Perhaps: "You Might Break In...But You'll Never Forget." Or "Dead Letters Tell No Tales."

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/199/house-on-loon-lake?act=0#play

492: Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde

APR 12, 2013

Dr. Benjamin Gilmer (left) gets a job at a rural clinic. He finds out he’s replaced someone — also named Dr. Gilmer (picture) — who went to prison after killing his own father. But the more Benjamin’s patients talk about the other Dr. Gilmer, the more confused he becomes. Everyone loved the old Dr. Gilmer. So Benjamin starts digging around, trying to understand how a good man can seemingly turn bad.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/492/dr-gilmer-and-mr-hyde

352: The Ghost of Bobby Dunbar

MAR 14, 2008

In 1912 a four year-old boy named Bobby Dunbar went missing in a swamp in Louisiana. Eight months later, he was found in the hands of a wandering handyman in Mississippi (the picture at left was taken just days later). Reporter Tal McThenia co-authored a book about the Bobby Dunbar story called A Case For Solomon.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/352/the-ghost-of-bobby-dunbar

Zodiac Signs

Gary Stewart grew up with a fairy tale notion of his father. So when he set out to search for him, the last thing he ever expected was to find himself in the middle of one of the biggest unsolved mysteries of all time.

http://snapjudgment.org/zodiac-signs

New series of Serial started, on Bowe Berghdal as rumoured.

What's your thoughts so far

It's interesting, but its not gripping me as much as the Adnan case did

What's your thoughts so far

It's interesting, but its not gripping me as much as the Adnan case did

Same here

Yep me too - nowhere near as compelling

Started listening to the new(-ish) Adam Buxton solo podacst recently. A bit hit and miss but he's one of the few I'd listen to no matter what he was babbling on about. He's just good company.

Zodiac Signs

Gary Stewart grew up with a fairy tale notion of his father. So when he set out to search for him, the last thing he ever expected was to find himself in the middle of one of the biggest unsolved mysteries of all time.

http://snapjudgment.org/zodiac-signs

Is that the same story as the Mark Ruffalo film (told from a different angle obv.)?

Just in case anyone's missed it, Serial have been doing smaller issue updates recently from the Adnan Sayed appeal hearings. If you listened to S1, they make for an interesting update.

They've got an earlier show they did called TLDR, which is just as good. it's funny to hear how one of them's voice changes when they start working with gimlet.

They've got an earlier show they did called TLDR, which is just as good. it's funny to hear how one of them's voice changes when they start working with gimlet.

I find it hard to tell them apart

Been listening to the Black Tapes recently a docu-rama style podcast. It's pretty good.

I started listening to that intermittently but got hacked off by the amateurish acting.

Just picked up, about five years after the rest of the world, on Marc Maron's WTF podcast as well. Some really interesting guests. Listened to the Tod Rungdren one this morning which was excellent (after the extended preamble).

And I posted a while back about Adam Buxton's the new pdocast series being a bit meh, I am now an avid listener. It is relaly good. I think if you start listening to it, just skip the first two. The first one was him working it out. the second was just bogged down in the detail of his domestic life, once he got guests involved, it hit its stride and it is now really good. The Jon Ronson, Scroobius Pip and Bowie editions are all interesting, entertaining and enlightening.

Edited by charlie clown

Three new ones this week, CLint Boon's Storytime with Boon, Bob Mortimer's Athletico Mince and The Unexplainers from one of the Goldie Lookin Chain.

Edited by cymrococh

Just in case anyone's missed it, Serial have been doing smaller issue updates recently from the Adnan Sayed appeal hearings. If you listened to S1, they make for an interesting update.

Yep, been following it. What do you think about it?

Edited by lfc4eva99

Three new ones this week, CLint Boon's Storytime with Boon, Bob Mortimer's Athletico Mince and The Unexplainers from one of the Goldie Lookin Chain.

Why the feckity feck didn't I know about this? On it. Now.

By the way the Marc Marron WTF Peter Guralnick episode is really good - especially if you're into blues/Sun records and the Adam Buxton Kathy Burke one is hilarious.

Edited by charlie clown

The Unexplainers from one of the Goldie Lookin Chain.

F*ck me have those tw ats not got proper jobs yet?