By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The cycling

surf

Good to see a mountain stage that finishes uphill. Agree with the poster earlier that said they are wasted when there is a downhill finish.

It doesn't look like there is much quality in the field this year, today's stage should be interesting. Someone has to make a move.

Evans' interview was bizarre, delusional and sounded desperate.

What is the point in attacking with 200 meteres to go?

today's stage looks horrific

PROFIL.jpg

I feel sick just looking at that image

Question: I've got a Chris Boardman hybrid (Halfords sell them) and would prefer it to be a road bike now. How much to convert (new handle bars etc)? Is it even doable?

Edited by Flasher

From BBC News

Fabian Cancellara has abandoned the race. The RadioShack rider, who won the prologue and wore yellow for the first week, is off back to Switzerland to be with his preganant wife.
Edited by Buzz

Cool. Will assume Brailsford knows more about this than Dus

He sure does but Wiggins is getting his go as team priority this year. I'd bet Brailsford is looking at Froome as his main man over the next few Tours. Wiggins likely won't get another go as Sky #1 if he doesn't win it this year - which he should do because Sky are an awesome outfit, there is no stand out GC contender to go against him and Wiggins has worked for years to get to ths peak.

I've always thought Evans was essentially defensive as well, so will struggle to get big time back. Limit his losses in the mountains, make hay in the TT. Bit like Wiggins in fairness, only not as good. Poor men's Indurains, but no shame in that.

Evans is not an exceptional time trialer, in fairness.

I feel sick just looking at that image

Question: I've got a Chris Boardman hybrid (Halfords sell them) and would prefer it to be a road bike now. How much to convert (new handle bars etc)? Is it even doable?

Heavier enough than a good roadbike to not make it worthwhile I'd say. To make a true roadbike you'd have to replace the gearing, wheels, everything. Better to keep your hybrid for Sundays and invest in a decent roadbike for distances probably.

Well well, Froome just dropped Wiggins. If Brailsford has the stones, he'll let Froome go for it. Still 10 days to go with 4 savage mountain days.

they won't change policy on 1 incident, it would mean Wiggins giving up 2 mins to Froome and working for him. Not happening this year.

they won't change policy on 1 incident, it would mean Wiggins giving up 2 mins to Froome and working for him. Not happening this year.

It won't happen this year, you're right. It's not just one incident though, Froome is better.

naughty by Froome, he knew what he was doing there

he has a very lucrative contract with Sky - which will make it difficult for Sky to drop him or another team to poach him

next year, it might be more of a climbers course with not as many kilometeres of time trial

Froome could be the better choice of leader in those circumstances

Edited by Cunny

was weird - 5 minutes earlier he looked fecked and dropped back himself

Cadel Evans looks beat though - is there any other serious challenger to Wiggins expected?

Time will tell, he may turn out the better rider but Wiggins is team leader and has earnt his chance for a fully supported crack at the GC.

Right, but say Nibali goes 90 seconds up the road in the Pyrenees (big if cos I doubt he has the class to do it but only way it'll likely happen is if Wiggins blows, which he could do judging by today) does Sky allow Froome to go after him or do they tell him to wait and try pace Wiggins back? I am guessing that's when Froome becomes team leader.

he has a very lucrative contract with Sky - which will make it difficult for Sky to drop him or another team to poach him

next year, it might be more of a climbers course with not as many kilometeres of time trial

Froome could be the better choice of leader in those circumstances

Evans this year = Wiggins next year. Just that tiny bit past it. Even if Wiggins wins it this year I am thinking Froome is their main man next year.

Right, but say Nibali goes 90 seconds up the road in the Pyrenees (big if cos I doubt he has the class to do it but only way it'll likely happen is if Wiggins blows, which he could do judging by today) does Sky allow Froome to go after him or do they tell him to wait and try pace Wiggins back? I am guessing that's when Froome becomes team leader.

Evans this year = Wiggins next year. Just that tiny bit past it. Even if Wiggins wins it this year I am thinking Froome is their main man next year.

Froome could just as easily blow up tmrw or the next day, he has worked extremely hard. Anything can happen on any given day. The time trial may yet prove crucial, there is no hierarchies there.

Age is not on Wiggins side, its now or never for him, even more so with Schlek missing.

Froome could just as easily blow up tmrw or the next day, he has worked extremely hard. Anything can happen on any given day. The time trial may yet prove crucial, there is no hierarchies there.

Age is not on Wiggins side, its now or never for him, even more so with Schlek missing.

He could but I don't think he will because he's better. He's worked his nuts off and still looks like he has more in the tank. The TT will certainly decide it in Wiggins favour if things stay relatively the same because he is an exceptional TTist. Froome is like Evans in that they are 'merely' very good TTists.

Anyway, good on Froome for giving us something truly fascinating to watch on the GC cos it has a weak feeling this year, Sky are too good.

If Wiggins wants to prove something and show he truly he deserves the respect of a TdF champion, all he needs to do is hit the front himself and go man to man with whoever is his main rival. And if that's Froome and he has to nip any mutiny on his own boat in the bud, then so be it.

If Wiggins wants to prove something and show he truly he deserves the respect of a TdF champion, all he needs to do is hit the front himself and go man to man with whoever is his main rival. And if that's Froome and he has to nip any mutiny on his own boat in the bud, then so be it.

Team leader and expected to win as favourite brings its own pressures, Froome hasn't had that. Interesting days ahead.

Froome has ridden one TdF before, in 2008 finishing 84th. Wiggins has a much better record and so deserved to be leader coming in.

Only way that should change during the race is If Wiggins cracks and can't stay with someone from another team but Froome can. Then the team leadership should and will go to Froome, because Sky are determined to win the race and will switch if they feel they need to.

If that doesn't happen then it stays with Wiggins.

Froome can then make his case to be a team leader at Sky or elsewhere next year.

Which is how it should be really not least because the nature of the coiurse this year means that if Wiggins can just hold his own in the mountians then he is odds-on to blast the others away in the TTs.

If Sky start allowing Wiggins and Froome to battle each other, they risk blowing the whole thing and neither winning

It isn't as if Froome is sacrificing himself for a no-hoper (as Indurain did in Delgado's latter years), nor is he physically dragging Wiggins up the mountain - he still has to turn the peddles himself. Froome is also benefitting just as much as Wiggins from the earlier pace-setting of Porte and Rogers.

Froome has ridden one TdF before, in 2008 finishing 84th. Wiggins has a much better record and so deserved to be leader coming in.

Only way that should change during the race is If Wiggins cracks and can't stay with someone from another team but Froome can. Then the team leadership should and will go to Froome, because Sky are determined to win the race and will switch if they feel they need to.

If that doesn't happen then it stays with Wiggins.

Froome can then make his case to be a team leader at Sky or elsewhere next year.

Which is how it should be really not least because the nature of the coiurse this year means that if Wiggins can just hold his own in the mountians then he is odds-on to blast the others away in the TTs.

If Sky start allowing Wiggins and Froome to battle each other, they risk blowing the whole thing and neither winning

It isn't as if Froome is sacrificing himself for a no-hoper (as Indurain did in Delgado's latter years), nor is he physically dragging Wiggins up the mountain - he still has to turn the peddles himself. Froome is also benefitting just as much as Wiggins from the earlier pace-setting of Porte and Rogers.

Good post, especially the induran porte and rogers points.

Anyway, good on Froome for giving us something truly fascinating to watch on the GC cos it has a weak feeling this year, Sky are too good.

Yeah, its a weak Tour. Evans last year and Wiggins this year is pretty uninspiring stuff. On the plus side there are a lot of very promising youngsters coming through.

I still see a massive crack coming for Wiggins but Froome should be his saviour

Yeah, its a weak Tour. Evans last year and Wiggins this year is pretty uninspiring stuff. On the plus side there are a lot of very promising youngsters coming through.

I still see a massive crack coming for Wiggins but Froome should be his saviour

yeah, some of the young talent coming through at the same time could lead to few exciting years in the tours starting in 2or3 years time. Hopefully the start of another golden era of racing.

Froome looks absolutely sensational to be fair. At his age he could be a multiple Tour winner. A couple more years of Schleck in his prime, plus Van der Broek and Van Garderen and some promising French lads like Penot coming through looks exciting for the sport.

Froome looks absolutely sensational to be fair. At his age he could be a multiple Tour winner. A couple more years of Schleck in his prime, plus Van der Broek and Van Garderen and some promising French lads like Penot coming through looks exciting for the sport.

froome amd wiggens, the team sets up before a tour and t thats the team, they shouldnt change in this position,.

Regarding the young uns, there was also some very good young riders in the youth team that rode in the city centre cycling this year, showing we've hopefully got some more coming through.