By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

San Diego

Kahnee

Go to Tijuana and drink loads of Tequlia. Try not to get shot there too.

San Diego is a really cool place. You'll enjoy it

Yeah i liked it too. Can't remember what i did though

Apart from go and see Anchorman. We did go to Tijuana though. Took painkillers with cocktails. Tramado that

I did watch Anchorman for the first time in San Diego though, i'm quite proud of that *

Well the Del Coronado is the historic and iconic choice (Some Like It Hot was filmed there, standing in for Florida), and it is well situated and very nice. I didn't pay, but I am sure it was expensive - and if so, not perhaps quite absolutely 5 star top notch in every facet - but if you are aware of that, probably worth it for character etc.

The Zoo has Pandas, and is pretty good overall if you like that kind of thing.

Mexico isn't far away, but those who ventured south advised against it for others.

* I asked the ancient guide who was taking us on a tour if the bridge we were on was the one Jack Black kicked Ron Burgundy's dog off, and she gave me the evil eye, feigned ignorance and blanked me for the rest of the tour.

This is a coincidence - I was going to post asking about San Diego too but on more of a permanent basis.

Me and the Mrs are thinking of relocating over there at some point before the kids reach school age (so within 3 years). Our business has some big US customers so we might be able to get the green card that way having looked into it.

Jetlag I think is a little tougher coming to the US.

You end up waking up early for a few mornings, by early I mean 2 or 3am! which is grand if you are a tourist..

I wouldn't stay at the Coronado, little removed from downtown and the gaslamp district, which is where you want to be situated really.

the Zoo is really good..

Is he awake yet?

By the by, anyone know which flight hits you hardest with the jet lag - going there or coming back?

Ok when we fly to Orlando we set our watches on the plane to American time, get to the States and stay up till 10/11 pm. Normally sleep right through then as normal. Coming back again we set our watches back to UK time on the plane and try and sleep on the flight, then stay awake till around 9/10 UK time and then crash in bed, normally fine the next day

Planning a trip in Feb - any suggestions on where to stay (not sw***y, but decent)/what to do etc etc (fecking off not an option) gratefully received

And feck off Murph, obviously

I can help on this actually Kahnee. Go stay with my Auntie Sheila, she lives in San Diego, she's completely f*cking mental, a 24 carat nutjob and she's always moaning nobody ever stays with her. She'd love your 'English gags'. :thumbs:

Planning a trip in Feb - any suggestions on where to stay (not sw***y, but decent)/what to do etc etc (fecking off not an option) gratefully received

And feck off Murph, obviously

Lots of good places to stay. You can priceline some high end hotels for about $99. Omni, Hard Rock, W and Grant in downtown are great. Estancia, Valencia and Hilton in La Jolla and Torrey Pines are good. Hotel Coranado in Coranado. Othewise just stay in a holiday inn or hyatt somewhere central

Things to do (if you have a family):

- Seaworld

- Wild animal park

- San Diego zoo

- Legoland

- Wavehouse (kids can surf on man made waves)

- horse riding, various ranches in rancho santa fe

- USS midway tour

- various beaches - coranado, delmar, encinitas and carlsbad are most family friendly

- jet sking in coranado, you can jet ski under the coranado bridge, near the navy ships and downtown

If you are alone or with your girlfriend or boyfriend (not that there is anything wrong with that) you can also go to:

- Gaslamp in downtown various clubs, bars, restaurants

- Temecula wine country

- Great outlet malls in plaza camina (last US exit)

- Tijuana (don't get killed)

- Pacific Beach - pretty much everyone looks like an extra from Baywatch

- Downtown La Jolla

Let me know if you need any lounge, club restaurants recommendations.

Also you have shakespeare and princess pub for matches and british pub atmosphere.

Edited by live

email me at: kishan.h.patel@gmail.com

Will give you a bit more info

Sorry mate, don't check the general very often!

This is a coincidence - I was going to post asking about San Diego too but on more of a permanent basis.

Me and the Mrs are thinking of relocating over there at some point before the kids reach school age (so within 3 years). Our business has some big US customers so we might be able to get the green card that way having looked into it.

You too mate, got some good info for you regarding school districts, and maybe can give a bit more insight into the Visa/Green Card process.

Edited by San Diego Red

Heard of a boat party on one of the harbor cruise lines:http://www.newyearsevesandiegoparty.com/yacht/index.html

There's something going on at the Hard Rock:http://hardrocknye.com/

Seems a bit clubby though

Gaslamp is always lively, though as you said pub crawl would be steep.

The Marriot in Gaslamp has something planned, but nothing has been announced.