By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

laptop

johngibo YPC

I would have said get a Dell also but build quality and endless dodgy batteries/power adapters have put me right off them. I found trying to get any sort of support from them was frustrating to say the least.

My little girl has a Samsung N140 notebook and its great, the wife has started using it instead of her Dell when she goes to bed.

Edited by Moose

I have a samsung netbook and it's great. Not sure I'd want to use it for spreadsheet/word processing/database type stuff, though - I've assumed it's not really powerful enough for that so haven't installed it

I have Office 2010 and do all my work on it. Handles Access/Excel/Powerpoint all brilliantly.

Thinking of getting a refurbished MacBook. Anyone got a refurbished one before?

Bought a five year old one off ebay for under £200 last year, just for farting about on. Updated the OS and it was fine for six months, it did then develop the classic loose logic board/video card thing, so I shimmed it with some two pence pieces and it's been fine since. I did think about spending twice as much on a refurb with a guarantee, but I was literally only using it for surfing as I do everything else (msjor) on my imac. Happy about that now, because I'll probably get an ipad in the new year and the year and half I'll have had the laptop for hasn't cost much.

We've had the HP G72-B66US for just over a month and it is great.

17.3 inch screen and it is lightning fast.

My wife uses it for work now and will not go near the desktop in the basement.

and that's nothing to do with the fact it's stuck in the basement?

Is Dell actually reliable in the European market? Its rubbish over here.. always looks good and comes with great specs at cheap rates but always ends breaking down at some point or another. I'm never going to get or recommend another dell unless its a medium spec Inspiron. Those are usually good laptops. Sony for me.

Edited by carrafan

I worked at a big organisation that insisted on Dell's, then came to a small organisation that looks after lots of organisations that insist on HP's and we don't have anywhere near the issues, or, problems that we had with Dells at the other place. HP's are much more reliable and longer lasting imo, which is great for supporting them :) but not when trying to sell them new kit :(