By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Tory MP Jeremy Hunt

Falconhoof

My link

jeremy-hunt-250a-100810-1286527546.jpg

People who don't have jobs should not have families if they cannot afford them, a cabinet minister has declared.

'If you haven't got the money, you shouldn't have children,' he said.

Speaking on BBC2's programme Newsnight, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt said that the jobless should take responsibility for their families, adding that it was not the duty of the state to fund an increasing number of offspring on benefits.

'It is important not to think of poor people as being complete victims of circumstance,' he said.

'They are just like everybody else who contemplates having a child and must ask themselves whether they are emotionally and financially ready for it.'

'If you're on benefits you cannot afford to have more children – and that should be taken into account,' he said.

'You can have children but if you are going to ask for support that is more than the average wage that people earn, then we're saying no, the state shouldn't support that.'

Jeremy Hunt's comments come days after Chancellor George Osborne announced that no family should receive more than £500 per week on benefits.

Many conservative MPs have spoken in favour Jeremy Hunt's controversial comments.

But Labour leader Ed Milliband said the remarks were 'cruel' and 'abhorrent'. Speaking on ITV's programme This Morning, he said: 'I think we need to support all families in this country and certainly not lecture them in the way that Jeremy Hunt sounds like he's doing.'

And Labour MP Kate Green said: 'It is utterly wrong that children should suffer because of circumstances their parents experience. It's absolutely wrong to go down the line of saying only rich people or better-off people should be parents.'

I think he's a monumental c***. You have to wonder who he's speaking to, does he genuinely think he's going to prevent people or influence them on how many children they have. Or that he should influence people in that way. As if in this country we have reached an epidemic of benefit claimants having children. Or does he genuinely think that we are overburdened by families of poor people in comparison with other countries. He's being completely disengenuous and, if anything we need a growing birth rate to meet the demand for young skilled people entering the workforce into the future. Those families, those people should be supported.

what do you think ?

I think he's a monumental c***. You have to wonder who he's speaking to, does he genuinely think he's going to prevent people or influence them on how many children they have. Or that he should influence people in that way. As if in this country we have reached an epidemic of benefit claimants having children. Or does he genuinely think that we are overburdened by families of poor people in comparison with other countries. He's being completely disengenuous and, if anything we need a growing birth rate to meet the demand for young skilled people entering the workforce into the future. Those families, those people should be supported.

what do you think ?

I agree with you.

I agree with you.

...as do I.

What is it with tories that when they're out of power, it's all about freedom, fairness, open democracy 'big' society and all that - in power - PERSONAL MORALITY! Poor people having children - sex out of wedlock - worse - procreation out of fully waged employment!! It's not as if they're not all doing their best to avoid paying taxes anyway - it's the majority of ordinary people who pay for the majpority of ordinary peoples needs - not some middle-England blue-rinsed enclave.

Jeremy Hunt - thank you rhyming slang. The sort of Hunt who looks like he's never once had to worry where his next meal or rent was coming from.

jeremy-hunt-250a-100810-1286527546.jpg

The latest in a long line of punchable Tory f*ckwits.

How many kids does it take to reach this 500 quid?

Are there really that many families out there that match his big crusade?

Of course not - but then that's rarely the point with dogmatic morality spouting from a point of serene privilige

I do wish people would think more carefully before starting a family because there are so many kids out there who've never had a chance, s*** starts in life that take so long to rectify.

However, a politician should be trying to find ways to protect and nurture these unfortunate and poor families as they try and make the best of their bad situations, not dictate to the poorest people how to fix the country they are at the bottom of.

If Britain really is broken, then fix it from the top down.

On the wider point, plenty of people base how many children they have on how many they can afford in the present and future. I'm the oldest of five(none of my own at 35) and after three my mother wanted more so in order to afford it, my dad worked abroad for five years and built up enough so he could be reasonably sure we'd always have a decent roof and food regardless of what happened.

On the narrow point, there is nothing more odious than politicians telling you how you should live, be that how many sprogs you have or how much you eat, smoke and drink.

Edited by Rimbeux