The Open Championship & Betting

Leo No.8

Certainly looking forward to a fantastic long weekend of sport - the second Ashes test which has become intriguing after England managed to hang on the other day, and of course The Open golf at beautiful Turnberry.

So who are people going for in the betting? My choices are as follows (all E-W as Tiger will probably win). I tend to bet in running so I can see how the players I fancy start off. Usually have a couple of definites I go for before the tournament (Fisher and Kaymer in this case) and a list of players I like then choose the ones who start best.

More Prominent Players:

Ross Fisher (55-1 with William Hill): Fantastic ball striker, massive emerging talent who hits it long and straight off the tee which is what you need here. In great form, if his short game holds up he has a real chance.

Martin Kaymer (40-1): Golf is largely about form and his is as good as anyone's in the world currently. Has back to back wins against high quality fields in the French and Scottish Opens.

Paul Casey (35-1): Number three in the world says a lot about his current form. Needs to start well as he has thrown a few majors away over the last few years early on and hasn't really contended. Could be his year.

Steve Stricker (50-1): Fantastic form this year, and has done well in The Open in recent years. Very good all rounder.

Outsiders:

Mike Weir (100-1): Good player in tough conditions, gritty if the weather gets bad.

Lucas Glover (120-1): Long odds for the reigning US Open champion. Good form has continued in his last two US Tour tournaments with 11th and 5th.

Soren Kjeldsen (125-1): Great form this year consistent top ten finishes. Very good putter.

Raphael Jacquelin (250-1): Excellent final round in The Scottish Open to finish second, could do OK if he takes that form on.

One player I would say is hitting the ball as well as anyone at the moment is Lee Westwood. He is in incredible form with his irons but there are two main reasons I'm not gojng for him which are firstly the Tiger effect - many players crumble when playing with him, and secondly his putting which really lets him down.

That said he is one to watch purely because he's hitting the ball so sweetly and if he putts well he could have a chance.

Also quite like Furyk for a place as ever, he's usually there or there abouts and can take the tough weather. Players I'd stay away from are the big names like Harrington, Stenson, Garcia and Els who haven't got much in the way of form at all. Also Perry who is traditionally terrible in our Open and wouldn't even play here for some time.