By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Recommendations

pipnasty

'Sold State Survivor' - Yellow Magic Orchestra (1979)

'BGM' - Yellow Magic Orchestra (1981)

'Technodelic' - Yellow Magic Orchestra (1981)

A crminally underated band and two criminally underated albums. Most electronic bands from that particular era sound incredibly dated by now but YMO, like Kraftwerk before them, sound fresh especially on 'Technodelic'. Anybody who liked 'Get Innocuous!' - and face it, who didn't - will love these two albums as much as James Murphy obviously does.

I suppose they sound like a looser Kraftwerk mixed with the later soundtrack work of founder member, Ryuichi Sakamoto. Funky, austere yet modern.

Yellow-Magic-Orchestra-Hardcore-Lady-428336.jpg

If you only only going to buy one early 80's Japanese electronic pop album this year etc, etc...........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgotten completely about their existence. Must dig out them out at some point soon.

My recommendation is simple; any one of the 23 Ethiopiques compilations. The easiest place to start is the recently released best of collection but all of them have something. Got tickets for the gig later in the summer and can't wait. I''m getting a whole more later in the week. If any of the usual suspects want copies of the first 20 give me a shout.

ethiopiques1.jpg

'Perfect From Now On' - Built To Spill (1997)

Built to Spill are one of a long list of histories 'lost bands'. Their first LP was 1994’s ‘There’s Nothing Wrong With Love’ which was brilliantly messy but it was with ‘Perfect From Now On’ that they reached their peak, a classic LP that was all but overlooked when it was released in 1997. Most tracks managed to reach the 7 minute mark and each track seemed to be made up of 3 or 4 sections that effortlessly come together like liquid in the same way that the likes of Country Joe and the Fish managed decades earlier. There are more ideas on the LP than most bands manage in an entire career.

For those who don’t know, Built to Spill sound a bit like The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, (the wonderful) Wheat, Television, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Sparklehorse, Mogwai and Slint and ‘Perfect From Now On’ easily fits into that ever expanding lineage of great American Cosmic Rock Albums. An amazing band and an amazing album.

bts.jpg

And for those that do like them, they are playing a tour of the UK and are playing dates in London, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin in July.

If you are only going to buy one late 90's beardy psychedelic record this year etc, etc......

• 2 weeks later...

My fantastic Top 16 hiphop recommendations of 2008 (so far)

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That s*** Gold – Atmosphere

A Captured Moment In Time – DL Incognito

I Spit On Your Grave – Gaslamp Killer

Shapeshifters – Invincible

The Ugly Truth - Prolyphic & Reanimator

The Show – EMC

Time:Line – Nicolay and Kay

The Push - Raashan Ahmad

Late Night Cinema - Blue Sky Black Death

The Only Color That Matters is Green – Pacewon

Operation Take Back Hip-Hop - Craig G & Marley Marl

Violenttimes Day – Smoothe da Hustler :yes:

Tha Carter III – Lil Wayne

II Trill – Bun B

Then What Happened? – J Live

Absolute Value - Akrobatik

'Perfect From Now On' - Built To Spill (1997)

Built to Spill are one of a long list of histories 'lost bands'. Their first LP was 1994’s ‘There’s Nothing Wrong With Love’ which was brilliantly messy but it was with ‘Perfect From Now On’ that they reached their peak, a classic LP that was all but overlooked when it was released in 1997. Most tracks managed to reach the 7 minute mark and each track seemed to be made up of 3 or 4 sections that effortlessly come together like liquid in the same way that the likes of Country Joe and the Fish managed decades earlier. There are more ideas on the LP than most bands manage in an entire career.

For those who don’t know, Built to Spill sound a bit like The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, (the wonderful) Wheat, Television, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Sparklehorse, Mogwai and Slint and ‘Perfect From Now On’ easily fits into that ever expanding lineage of great American Cosmic Rock Albums. An amazing band and an amazing album.

bts.jpg

And for those that do like them, they are playing a tour of the UK and are playing dates in London, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin in July.

If you are only going to buy one late 90's beardy psychedelic record this year etc, etc......

Their last album - You In Reverse - also slipped well under the radar and is a polished gem of geetar pop.

Pip,

If you had to start with one of these which would you recommend? I stopped listening after three feet and rising and cannot stand the I'm the biggest dick, women are ho's I'm a playa nonsense. Any alternatives would be much appreciated.

My own favourite lost album is Pauline Murary & The Invisible Girls' eponymous debut album. Glorious Martin Hannet produced synth pop, the greatest album never released on Factory. Also has, in its vinyl format, one of the most beautiful album covers I know of. Sadly the now deleted CD version has a much less complex and rather more dull design.

Pip,

If you had to start with one of these which would you recommend? I stopped listening after three feet and rising and cannot stand the I'm the biggest dick, women are ho's I'm a playa nonsense. Any alternatives would be much appreciated.

Erm, not really sure to be honest. Probably non of them if you haven't listened to anything since De La Soul.

What I would recommend you listen to are a few things from either MF Doom or Madlib. Both are as colourful as De La Soul were, lyrically they are funny and intelligent, good beats, great sound, no guns and bulls*** etc.

Operation: Doomsday - MF Doom

Vaudeville Villain - Viktor Vaughn

Escape from Monsta Island! - Monsta Island Czars

Madvillainy - Madvillain

I'd probably give those a go first.

Erm, not really sure to be honest. Probably non of them if you haven't listened to anything since De La Soul.

What I would recommend you listen to are a few things from either MF Doom or Madlib. Both are as colourful as De La Soul were, lyrically they are funny and intelligent, good beats, great sound, no guns and bulls*** etc.

Operation: Doomsday - MF Doom

Vaudeville Villain - Viktor Vaughn

Escape from Monsta Island! - Monsta Island Czars

Madvillainy - Madvillain

I'd probably give those a go first.

You're a star.

There was a great interview with YMO in Friday's Guardian. Or might have been Saturday's The Guide. Either way it was very good.

Never knew Clapton's Behind The Mask was originally written by them :ohmy:

Never knew Clapton's Behind The Mask was originally written by them :ohmy:

I didn't know that either but listening to 'Technodelic', it is pretty obvious.

So basically, YMO sound like 80's Eric Clapton :metal:

black2.jpg

My recommendation for anyone who likes accoustic guitar picking ala John Fahey or Robbie Basho - James Blackshaw "The Cloud Of Unknowing", this is a stunning layered piece of melodic beauty. He's got a new album coming out soon and 2 previous but this album is a great place to start.

Will recommend a female singer/songwriter called Sabrina Dinan. Could only find one of her songs on itunes when I looked but there may be more on the interweb.

Also the best band in the world, The Real Heat. Sugababes without the sacharine.

• 4 weeks later...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=109723765

Dave Aju (and the Invisible Art Trio) has released a couple of my favourite records of the year. He produces brilliantly loose, f***ed up, wacked out and minimal yet funky house music. 'Be Like The Sun' is a future classic. George Clinton, Lil Louis, Sun Ra, Curtis Jones, Luciano and Ricardo Villalobos. 'Be Like The Sun' is just plain brilliant as is 'Crazy Place' and he has an LP out soon.

Check out his Myspace to hear some of his tracks.

Pip,

Get the Quannum 'Spectrum' album. Fair few years old now but it's a good intro to current 'backpack' hip hop. There's an absolutely class song on there about a storm building, quite liderally.

Failing that, Blackalicious - The Craft or Marc Mac presents visioneers - Dirty Old Hip Hop

As you all know, I rarely get excited or emotional about any record but this is about to change. And all because of this record;

333.jpg

'Treny' by Jacaszek is the most astonishing record that I have heard all year - quite simply a stunningly beautiful record.

It's a modern classical record that is a bit like Satie or Arvo Part or Murcof or Max Richter. Electronics, samples, strings etc.

If you only buy one Polish modern classical recording this year etc, etc.

You got an online link to buy that Pip? Just listened to his myspace and I'm definitely picking that up, top stuff.

Also, may I be so bold to counter-recommend Lisa Gerrard's "The Silver Tree", along similar lines.

Edited by DarkBailo

Guest Silkky Skillz
My fantastic Top 16 hiphop recommendations of 2008 (so far)

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That s*** Gold – Atmosphere

A Captured Moment In Time – DL Incognito

I Spit On Your Grave – Gaslamp Killer

Shapeshifters – Invincible

The Ugly Truth - Prolyphic & Reanimator

The Show – EMC

Time:Line – Nicolay and Kay

The Push - Raashan Ahmad

Late Night Cinema - Blue Sky Black Death

The Only Color That Matters is Green – Pacewon

Operation Take Back Hip-Hop - Craig G & Marley Marl

Violenttimes Day – Smoothe da Hustler :yes: