By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Big Jack Charlton on the line.

Guest ausred1312

Guest ausred1312

Last saturday morning (aust. time - friday night UK time) my mate in Wales was at a sportsmans dinner in Welshpool with big Jack Charlton the guest speaker. I was at my 13yo sons local game (small town 300km north of Sydney) when my mobile rings & my mate says do you want to talk to Big Jack (stupid question!). Next minute there he was on the phone & we had a bit of a chat about Australia & how his son lived here for 14 yrs & he has a place in Surfers Paradise & how he loved coming down here when he has time. He also had a bit of a chat to my son who didn't even know who he was till we got home & youtubed him & he realised then that he had been speaking to a legend.

For an aussie to get an opportunity to speak to someone like Jack out of the blue like that was a real buzz & I was almost as chuffed as when I got to hold the old Div 1 trophy when I visited Anfield back in 1988 on my only visit to the UK.

I have followed English FOOTBALL (pricks still call it soccer here) since we started getting tv coverage over here when Brian Moore used to call the games in the early 70's & been red ever since. So due to the fact that I don't have any other EPL "tragics" in this town I thought I might talk to some people on here who would understand how lucky I feel.

Guest ausred1312
Not sure using Jack Charlton is the best Ice breaker you could have used here but Welcome anyway!!
Yes I realise that but would you not agree that he rates legend status & can you see how from this distance & never having the chance to go to any games EVER yet following the game fanatically for nearly 40yrs & getting up at all hours of the night so I never miss a reds game that these type of things are really a buzz. If it was that cheat Ronaldo I would of hung up. PRICK.

Had a wonderful day (and night) with Jack, in Marbella, golf and loads of lash. I was on a conference thingy and he wa s the guest, bsolutely top lad, my photo with him in Dali's has pride of place on the office wall

Murph, that post with that avatar made me larf

Hehe, ironic as well bearing in mind where we both come from. Man's man is Jack, I'd love to see his face if you walked into a room with your man bag . :rolleyes:

Jack has a second home for fishing purposes where I live and is an honorary member of my golf club.. I've met him on a number of occasions and he was very obliging last year when my wife's friends from Leeds prompted me to ask him to pose for a photo. He held their kid for the photo and commented on how he was a fine lad........ of course it was a lass :oops::rolleyes:

Jack's wife wasn't impressed mind you... she must be fed up not being able to go for a meal without people coming up to him but the free drink surely makes up for it everywhere he goes in Ireland.

He's well known in town from back in the early 90's for paying for everything with cheques and most bar owners not cashing the cheques cos it had more value framed on their walls until bar owners realised half the pubs in town thought the same. Most people in town pass no heed on him these days.. It's normally just "howiye Jack, enjoy the fishing"

Edited by Mono