By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Football Manager 2008

Earl Hafler

Every couple of years i try the newest version of Football Manager to see if they've improved it and, yet again, it's absolute shyte.

Liverpool 38 shots

Aston Villa 2 shots.

Score ? 2-2. Just one example of many. It happens in football but far too often in FM. Poor keepers with an average rating of 6.7 suddenly put on a 9/10 MOTM performance.

Shevchenko runs around like he's f***ing 21 ! He outpaces most of my defenders whereas Torres struggles to get away from defenders he outruns every week in the Premiership. Maxi Rodriguez doesn't seem quick whilst Walcott and Wright-Phillips resemble the spot ball set to the fastest speed on the old Atari tennis squash game.

Ballack scores every f***ing time Chelsea play me and is ludicrously overrated.

In two seasons i've had maybe 2 penalties given in 90 minutes whilst giving away umpteen in injury time - usually against the Mancs or Chelsea - which results in a potential draw turning into a screen-smashing loss.

3 cup finals, 3 penalty shoot-outs, 3 losses with Gerrard and Torres missing the crucial pens.

I've won la liga with Seville in my first 3 seasons. Won the CL last season too. really really easy

My formation/team is

-----------------Palop---------------

De Silverstri- Sahko - Barzagli - Marcelo

--------Lulihna - Nasri - VDV---------

-----------Aguero- Pandev----------

----------------Delgado---------------

I have no budget bar £10m each summer 'cause the stadium revenue is poor, the board tried to expand the ground but the local council stopped it.

for someone with no budget you've spent a hell of a lot

Sold Alves for £25m

Plus a lot of deadwood in my first season - like Escude, Kieta etc...

Bought Owen for £8m, was crap, sold on for £17m

Made smaller profits on other players like Behrami, Fischer

Not that hard.

I've had one of my best games ever on FM08. Started as the Porto boss, only that league and the Argie and Brazil leagues loaded, then it was/is a case of buy the young latino's for peanuts, give them a season or two, then flog them for gazillions.

I've sort of let myself down in that department buy using the money I received for Bosingwa and Gonzalez in January to buy Juan Arango for £8M, Arshavin for £7M, and Huntelaar for £16M....

Still, absolutely walked the Superliga, unbeaten all season and didn't concede a goal for 4 months, and reached the semi's of the CL, being beaten by Liverpool thanks to a last minute dodgy Kuyt goal.

Advice for everyone - buy Leandro Gioda. The guy is a God.

I got this recently too. They don't really change it much do they? Seems to be the same game just with different coloured windows. What really pisses me off is that whole thing they do where there's something wrong - like surf says about corners not being right - but the makers are arrogant enough to just say f*** it, we're not releasing more patches, you'll just have to buy the new version next year. Fortunately I picked it up in a sale, be livid if I spent more money on it.

I got this recently too. They don't really change it much do they? Seems to be the same game just with different coloured windows. What really pisses me off is that whole thing they do where there's something wrong - like surf says about corners not being right - but the makers are arrogant enough to just say f*** it, we're not releasing more patches, you'll just have to buy the new version next year. Fortunately I picked it up in a sale, be livid if I spent more money on it.

They do release the patches though. They know there are things not 100% right when they release it, but they do their best to correct any mistakes. It's also good of them to update transfers etc.

They do release the patches though. They know there are things not 100% right when they release it, but they do their best to correct any mistakes. It's also good of them to update transfers etc.

But just about every game I've ever bought did that? eg The people who released Neverwinter Nights were patching that game what felt like years after release. And Fifa Manager had a transfer update, I'd guess the Champ Manager one did too. SI do two patches at most, don't they? Not sure why people seem to be so indulgent of SI, I can't see much that they do that other developers don't do, or do more really. It's not like they are just two guys in an attic anymore, they are pushing several games out now and being sponsored by SEGA. I'd really expect more from them at this stage than slight variations on the previous year but with new bugs added.

In FM07 I won 10 leagues in a row and 8 Champions League titles.

I was so successful we had to move from New Anfield to a 100k stadium. The board called it 'Khush Arena' after the most successful manager in the history of football.

FM08 is a poor update though

I find it quite good actually. I just hope they don't add more admin into the game cause it's getting quite annoying as it is.

Does the manager of the team influence the dimensions of the pitch?

I also find the whole personality thing quite silly. I'm with Liverpool in 2011 and Torres is currently tutoring Pachecho.

However, he dislikes Pacheco and an Italian youngster and is "Considering his options".

I find it quite good actually. I just hope they don't add more admin into the game cause it's getting quite annoying as it is.

Does the manager of the team influence the dimensions of the pitch?

I also find the whole personality thing quite silly. I'm with Liverpool in 2011 and Torres is currently tutoring Pachecho.

However, he dislikes Pacheco and an Italian youngster and is "Considering his options".

The presonality thing is stupid I agree, although its nice to see that I am one of Guti's favourite personnel now at Celta

The Fans can also be a bit stupid, I got Pato on loan from Milan and the Celta fans don't think it was a good move despite him scoring 9 goals in six games!

I am Crewe and have just guided them to the Championship after my firts season, I've loaned pretty much everyone from the Liverpool Reserves and I seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.

3 Games in 2 Draws 1 Win and I'm expected to avoid relegation.

Colin Nish and Jason Byrne are fecking genius

I eventually came up with a 5-3-2 formation that made the game no fun, apparently the AI has a problem when you overload it with central midfielders and my wing backs were somehow good no matter who I played in those positions and the three centrebacks seemed very sound despite being worried they'd be exploited for pace.

But I deleted the game yesterday because I needed the space on my HD to fit the last season of the Wire. I reckon it's a good move, the fecking thing was taking over my life again. Now I'll actually have free time, and since it's finally getting warm here, I'm going to play real football.