By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

FAO Scot - North Caroline question

Crazy Horse

Is Scot on hiatus again? If not - I've been offered an interesting opportunity in your neck of the woods, in the Research Triangle. What's the quality of life like in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area for a culture appreciating non-redneck? Figure it's probably ok given the standard of the academic life there and the technologies centred there, but it's a state I've never visited.

Edit - I apparently can't spell Carolina reliably, that's not a good start.

Edited by Crazy Horse

Andrew. I can't state this clearly enough.

Don't go to live there under any circumstances. North Carolina is absolutely the last place in America I would live and it would be bottom ten lowest on earth.

Please, please don't do it. It is Crackerstan.

:lol::lol:

worse than Detroit? Gary? nothing is worse than gary...

Don't go to live there under any circumstances. North Carolina is absolutely the last place in America I would live and it would be bottom ten lowest on earth.

What about South Carolina? ;)

TBH, the western, semi-mountainous part of NC seemed quite nice to me. Not sure about the more densely populated redneck-zone. But is it really worse than Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, etc?

Is Scot on hiatus again? If not - I've been offered an interesting opportunity in your neck of the woods, in the Research Triangle. What's the quality of life like in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area for a culture appreciating non-redneck? Figure it's probably ok given the standard of the academic life there and the technologies centred there, but it's a state I've never visited.

Edit - I apparently can't spell Carolina reliably, that's not a good start.

Hey...sorry, just seen this. It's terrific, Andrew. Can't imagine us leaving anytime soon. Cost of living a fraction of what you're used to and, given your line of work, it's actually central. UNC, Duke, NCSU within 15miles. 200m from DC and 400 from NYC. 3hr west to the mountains, 1.5h east to the beach.

EMail me through the site if you want more specifics. I live just outside Chapel Hill, work in the RTP. No question that this area is an oasis. 50m in any direction and you're in 'Deliverance'. Booming currently in biotech/CRO/pharma, too. Two more CROs moved here this year.

Hey...sorry, just seen this. It's terrific, Andrew. Can't imagine us leaving anytime soon. Cost of living a fraction of what you're used to and, given your line of work, it's actually central. UNC, Duke, NCSU within 15miles. 200m from DC and 400 from NYC. 3hr west to the mountains, 1.5h east to the beach.

EMail me through the site if you want more specifics. I live just outside Chapel Hill, work in the RTP. No question that this area is an oasis. 50m in any direction and you're in 'Deliverance'. Booming currently in biotech/CRO/pharma, too. Two more CROs moved here this year.

This message has been brought to you by the North Carolina Tourism Unit.

(arrangement of initials to be confirmed)

I always figured the Carolinas were like Ireland - North isn't too bad, South is full of backwards inbreds...

I'm only joking, offended countrymen!

Thanks Scot - will drop you an email if things firm up. Pretty much what I figured, think I might like it ok. I could buy myself a 10 acre compound for the price of a garden shed over here. Funny you should mention CROs, we're working on an acquisition, hence the opportunity.

Thanks Scot - will drop you an email if things firm up. Pretty much what I figured, think I might like it ok. I could buy myself a 10 acre compound for the price of a garden shed over here. Funny you should mention CROs, we're working on an acquisition, hence the opportunity.

Well then now I'm intrigued - that's my industry. Precious few around here of a size to purchase...

Funnily enough, I had lunch the other week with the GM of a search fund who was looking for guidance on buying into the CRO industry...

Well then now I'm intrigued - that's my industry. Precious few around here of a size to purchase...

Funnily enough, I had lunch the other week with the GM of a search fund who was looking for guidance on buying into the CRO industry...

Wonder who paid that bill?