By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Global food supply threatened

RP

Doesn't sound good

The run on rice is threatening to disrupt world food supplies as much as banks' lack of confidence in each other has seen global credit markets dry up.

China, Egypt, Vietnam and India, representing more than a third of global rice exports, curbed sales this year, and Indonesia says it may do the same.

The price of rice, the staple food for half the world, rose 2pc to a record $20.910 per 100lbs in Chicago, double the price a year ago and a fivefold increase from 2001.

"Rice will gain substantially over the next two years," said Roland Jansen, chief executive of Switzerland-based Mother Earth Investments, which holds 4pc of its $100m funds in the grain.

He believes governments will maintain curbs on exports as they "want to be able to continue to feed their own populations".

The World Bank in Washington says 33 nations from Mexico to Yemen may face "social unrest" as food and energy costs have risen for six straight years.

"High and volatile food prices will be with us for years to come," according to World Bank president Robert Zoellick, who urged wealthy nations to cut agricultural subsidies and open markets for food imports.

Rice-growing nations are driving up prices for producers that want to sell abroad. The Vietnam Food Association last week asked members to stop signing export contracts in June, following China, which has imposed a 5pc tax on exports. Egypt banned rice shipments until October.

Record grain prices are stoking inflation. Wholesale costs in India rose 7pc in the week ending March 22, the fastest pace in more than three years, underscoring the threat from rising food costs, the ministry of commerce and industry in New Delhi said.

The increase may boost profits for suppliers. Shares in Padiberas Nasional, Malaysia's only licensed rice supplier, rose the most in seven years on the Kuala Lumpur stock exchange last week.

Goldman Sachs forecasts that all agricultural commodities it covers, except sugar, will rise during the next six months.

Global cereal demand will expand 2.6pc this year, 1.6 percentage points above the 10-year average, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation in Rome.

The UBS Bloomberg Constant Maturity Commodity Index of 26 raw materials has gained for six consecutive years and advanced 15pc this year.

"We have some very serious problems developing globally for food and energy," said Greg Smith, executive director of Global Commodities in Adelaide, Australia.

World rice stockpiles are at their lowest levels since the 1980s, and the UN forecasts that exports will drop 3.5pc this year.

"A constant price rise of rice can't be viewed as sustainable," said Abah Ofon, a commodities analyst with Standard Chartered in Dubai. "As with any staple commodity, there's a risk of social tension when prices begin to rise."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemme me tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid, It aint coca-cola its rice.

rice probably has the biggest carbon footprint of all the foods!

It's time to re-establish locally grown and sustainable produce markets

Also been reading a report this morning that the younger generation are currently being brainwashed about global warming.

The truth is out there.

I heard recently that Nasa claimed that the Ice Sheet is getting bigger.

QED

Just trying to find it again now - been busy putting my bets on tonight's game!!

ooh I couldn't bet on the outcome of a Liverpool game - my mum was phoning y'day evening wondering if the odds were good :wacko: I said I don't know, nor even checked...mockering ;)

ooh I couldn't bet on the outcome of a Liverpool game - my mum was phoning y'day evening wondering if the odds were good :wacko: I said I don't know, nor even checked...mockering ;)

A couple of weeks ago I backed Inter 0 - 1 Liverpool with Torres getting the goal - so I'm playing with profits. 1-1 is tonight's bet.

Here is the report . I have no idea of the level of respect that William Gray commands, but it is an interesting perspective, no? He claims that there is little or no meteorological evidence of global warming.

That chap appears to be approaching it from the point of view that global warming will reduce hurricanes, therefore is a good thing.

There is a lot of meteorological evidence of global warming.

That chap appears to be approaching it from the point of view that global warming will reduce hurricanes, therefore is a good thing.

I don't think there has been so far this century, has there?

and new meteorological evidence to say its starting to cool again

brrrr its freezing

there are a lot of reasons why the earth heats up and cools down, el nino (not Torres) and the cycles of the sun are main influences, and the sun is supposedly entering a cooler period now which will see global temeratures actually fall in the medium to long term

I don't think there has been so far this century, has there?

More hurricanes, or meterological evidence?

and new meteorological evidence to say its starting to cool again

brrrr its freezing

there are a lot of reasons why the earth heats up and cools down, el nino (not Torres) and the cycles of the sun are main influences, and the sun is supposedly entering a cooler period now which will see global temeratures actually fall in the medium to long term

I can only refer you to the IPCC report on climate change, which states climate change is real, and it is "undeniable" that man is contributing to it.

And then this article, in which some experts say it painted "too rosy" a picture (Here)

I can only refer you to the IPCC report on climate change, which states climate change is real, and it is "undeniable" that man is contributing to it.

And then this article, in which some experts say it painted "too rosy" a picture (Here)

Your views on meterology have to be viewed against the background of your theory on wind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...7/15/do1508.xml

i'm more siding with this guy to be honest, his theory is at least proveable over the long term, whereas the "Its all mans fault" in my opinion could turn out to be the biggest con of the 21st century

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...7/15/do1508.xml

i'm more siding with this guy to be honest, his theory is at least proveable over the long term, whereas the "Its all mans fault" in my opinion could turn out to be the biggest con of the 21st century

There are always going to be two camps on this, I'm not saying climate change is proven beyond all doubt - it may never be. Whilst that article is interesting, it is written by an astronomer, rather than a climatologist - bear that in mind.

I guess my position would be, even if climate change turns out to be totally cyclical and uncontrollable by man, the measures we can take to "avoid" it are only going to be benefical to us anyway. Cut down on air and car journeys and cause less air pollution, use less oil, which really is running out. Grow your own veg using natural methods, cut down on pesticides and fertilizer usage. Recycle plastics and paper, meaning again, less oil is used and less energy wasted from making new when we already have enough. And, away from tangible measures like that, doesn't it look horrifying to see swathes of rainforest being cleared? To me, it just looks wrong.

It's not a massive sacrifice to live a greener life and it still addresses issues which are separate, but linked to climate change, like energy consumption.

Edited by DarkBailo