By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

iPod syncing

Bailo

Just took the plunge and got myself an 80GB iPod and am currently syncing over all my music my iTunes - problem is, even after extensive pruning and checking of my iTunes library, some of my music is not be transported over. I have one CD of 2 CD compilations, or just one track off an album. I'm having to manually add some files, despite others in that album being synced fine. Anyone got any ideas, other than "Don't buy an iPod"?!

Just took the plunge and got myself an 80GB iPod and am currently syncing over all my music my iTunes - problem is, even after extensive pruning and checking of my iTunes library, some of my music is not be transported over. I have one CD of 2 CD compilations, or just one track off an album. I'm having to manually add some files, despite others in that album being synced fine. Anyone got any ideas, other than "Don't buy an iPod"?!

hammer-1.jpg

Are you 100% sure they are not going across and not, maybe, going across but with different artist name/album name? It's just you mention "compilations" and iTunes has a setting for handling compilations which can mean the tracks get all split out separately or just get dumped together with the artist name as "various artists" or something like that, depending on the mp3 tags. If you order your tracks by song name maybe and then just double check one you expected to be there, definitely ain't there.

Edit: I'm a bit confused actually - you say the problem is to do with syncing tracks - which is taking stuff from your library and putting it on the iPod but then talk of needing to manually add files to the iTunes library to solve the problem?

Edited by Mr Kite

I've had similar frustration;

The tracks will be there, but will not be in the folder you expected eg I loaded the Bruce Springsteen Live boxset; iTunes put two of the cds in one folder and then created a different one for the third cd. Very confusing when you weren't expecting it.

Mr Kite's advise of searching your iPod for the tracks is the only way that will work.

I think I've figured out what has happened - it's copied across some playlists, like Top Rated and Most Played and copied across those tracks within, but not the rest of that album. Very strange.

Going to stop it copying playlists across, see what happens when I next sync it.

EDIT: Don't deselect all the playlists and then sync, as it's just removed all my music from my iPod. Bloody hell.

Edited by DarkBailo

I think I've figured out what has happened - it's copied across some playlists, like Top Rated and Most Played and copied across those tracks within, but not the rest of that album. Very strange.

Going to stop it copying playlists across, see what happens when I next sync it.

EDIT: Don't deselect all the playlists and then sync, as it's just removed all my music from my iPod. Bloody hell.

:D To be fair, it's just going to do what you tell it to do. If you've checked the box for "sync only playlists" and then not selected any play lists then it updates your iPod to contain the "nothing" that you selected. Click the other check box "all songs and playlists" inside the "music" tab if all your stored music is less than 80GB. Otherwise, you have to manage what gets sent across so create relevant playlists, possibly one new playlist with the tracks from those CDs you want stored on your iPod. Then make sure the new playlist is checked, again, in your Music tab options.

Edited by Mr Kite

:D To be fair, it's just going to do what you tell it to do. If you've checked the box for "sync only playlists" and then not selected any play lists then it updates your iPod to contain the "nothing" that you selected. Click the other check box "all songs and playlists" inside the "music" tab if all your stored music is less than 80GB. Otherwise, you have to manage what gets sent across so create relevant playlists, possibly one new playlist with the tracks from those CDs you want stored on your iPod. Then make sure the new playlist is checked, again, in your Music tab options.

Yeah, I know I'm stupid ;) Though it takes about 2 seconds to clear everything off and about 20mins to put it back on again :angry:

On the subject of iPods (80GB classics) anyone know of a good case? Prefer the silicone "skin" type ones.

I got a 160GB iPod a few months ago and it's really annoying me, you should be able to use it like a Hard drive as well, my old iRiver had that function so I could put the newest music into a fodler and listen to it all i nthere

I got a 160GB iPod a few months ago and it's really annoying me, you should be able to use it like a Hard drive as well, my old iRiver had that function so I could put the newest music into a fodler and listen to it all i nthere

I do miss the Windows Explorer-type interface of my iRiver, but I really like my iPod. There's no audible difference in sound quality that I can tell, which was a major worry.

With the iPod, can't you port across your "Recently Added" playlist and listen to music on that?

On the subject of iPods (80GB classics) anyone know of a good case? Prefer the silicone "skin" type ones.

This is the same make as the one I have on mine and does the job. Think the silicone ones are definitely the best - leather ones are far too clumsy: http://www.zcover.com/zCover_Product_iPod_...ic_Original.htm

With the iPod, can't you port across your "Recently Added" playlist and listen to music on that?

Yep, that's the handiest way

Has anyone figured out how to upload movies/ tv programmes on to their iPod? I got an iTouch for Christmas and unless I download something via itunes it doesn't seem to load up.

Not that I've tried too hard mind you.

Figured out? it aint particularly hard!

You need to add it to your itunes library first, and then just drag it on - or sync it.

I presume you have converted the videos to the correct format?

Figured out? it aint particularly hard!

You need to add it to your itunes library first, and then just drag it on - or sync it.

I presume you have converted the videos to the correct format?

They won't drag across so I'm guessing not. I thought they would take .avi files?

I do miss the Windows Explorer-type interface of my iRiver, but I really like my iPod. There's no audible difference in sound quality that I can tell, which was a major worry.

Yeah, but they're all on the one playlist and you can't go through the playlist by artist so if you add a load of songs it takes ages to go through them.

Has anyone figured out how to upload movies/ tv programmes on to their iPod? I got an iTouch for Christmas and unless I download something via itunes it doesn't seem to load up.

Not that I've tried too hard mind you.

You have to convert them to .mp4 format. I tried a load of different programs and eventually found this one, it seems to be the best free one out there.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Buy a 160GB one line me, my entire library fits on it with about 50gb to spare. :)