Sign in to follow this  
Rahul

US Presidential race

You think so? Even after the debacle of her health care reform programme that she started then ruined when Bill was in charge?

Definitely. She knows first hand how to run things in the White House. She has Bill as an advisor which will do wonders both domestically and internationally, and she's been a quietly effective Senator over the last 8 years.

I'm a registered Democrat, so I get to vote in the California primary in about a month. Haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. Won't be Clinton, because I can't stand her - although she'd be a safe pair of hands. As would Dodd or Biden, both of whom sadly have no chance. I'll probably go with Obama or Edwards, leaning slightly towards Obama perhaps. I think America is capable of electing a black president in 2008.

:notrelatedtoanyforummember3:

i hate that word

It's one of my least favorite words too. It's ridiculous that a creationist can openly run for office in the US, whereas an openly atheist candidate wouldn't stand a chance (apparently there are no atheists in either house).

Everything I am reading is suggesting that Hilary will trounce all the other democratic contenders

And that pretty much any Republican will give her a very close run for the huge sums of money involved in the actual election

Hilary... loved or hated. Very few neutrals...

To all those Americans that will be voting id think carefully before choosing. Hilary has received the most donations from military contractors and shes been advised by Roger Ailes (Fox News) for months, so shes clearly the establishments chosen one.

Obama is every bit establishment being part of the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations) he may have voted against the war in Iraq but hes on the record as saying he wouldn't rule out pre-emptive strikes on countries like Iran. Anyone thats studied the US economy will know that they cannot sustain the current foreign policy. Setting up bases all over the world costs a lot of money, everyone now is seeing what the resuts will be with the dollar in free fall, the Feds solution seems to be printing more money but at some point that bubble will burst, the debt is already at unmanageable levels and its only going to get worse unless theres a major change on the foreign policy.

No ones mentioned Ron Paul so far, hes a Texas congressman standing on the Republican side although he has very little in common with the current Republican Party, although he would argue hes the only real Republican standing and the things the majority of Republican candidates stand for now bear little resemblance to what the party was founded on.

Hes they only Republican Candidate that voted against the war in Iraq and hes said if hes President he'd get the troops home immediately. Hes also going to get rid of the Federal Reserve, abolish the IRS and income tax law plus a lot more. His whole position is on government being smaller and getting out of peoples lives instead of trying to run every aspect of it.

When he entered the race he was regarded as a no hoper but on Nov 5th he raised $4.2 million in a single day and then on Dec 16th he raised $6.2 million which is a single day record. So his message is getting out there and his message of limited government based on the constitution is very popular.

I was going to mention Ron Paul, he's being ignored by the media completely.

However I then discovered he is as pro-life as it gets which makes a mockery of those currently supporting him with the aim of getting a moderate anti-war republican candidate in the race. Certainly not what they're bargaining for.

Especially when Clinton and Gore were such close friends... or Kennedy and LBJ for that matter.

He'd never accept it besides.

But, strategically he wouldn't be good. He doesn't bring any extra Af/Am votes because she is really well liked by that segment. They are both from a Chicago-based background. Richardson is a far better bet. Great on foreign policy and he's Hispanic.

However I then discovered he is as pro-life as it gets which makes a mockery of those currently supporting him with the aim of getting a moderate anti-war republican candidate in the race. Certainly not what they're bargaining for.

I dont agree with his stance on abortion either but in the bigger picture when your talking about possible pre-emptive strikes on Iran and an economy thats ready to burst its a minor issue.

Paul may be pro-life but hes on the record as saying its up to each state to decide on this issue. Hes not going to enforce his own personnal pro-life stance on everybody. Thats the difference.

WHat are the chances of Michael Bloomberg declaring as an independent?

He flat-out said no on New Years Eve.

But, he'd be an awesome President. A bit too pro-Israel possibly, but other than that, nobody would be better.

He believes the states need to control their own destiny. I'm totally in agreement with that as long as one states decision doesn't effect anothers (like buying guns in Virginia and bringing them up to New York to sell on the streets of Brooklyn).

Never been a president (or VP) whose name ends in a vowel you pronounce.

No change this year.

Also since colour telly was in there has never been a president who does not have blue eyes!

All Presidents since color television has invaded the American home have had blue eyes: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. Electoral runner-ups Al Gore, Bob Dole, Mike Dukakis have dark eyes. Walter Mondale and John Kerry have blue eyes, but apparently not blue enough to unseat an incumbent.

He believes the states need to control their own destiny. I'm totally in agreement with that as long as one states decision doesn't effect anothers (like buying guns in Virginia and bringing them up to New York to sell on the streets of Brooklyn).

Its a fundamental difference in approach between Paul and someone like Hilary. Paul's ideology is that government shouldn't be this overbearing presence in everyones lives, people should be encouraged to help themselves and not be brought up to rely on the government. As the people of New Orleans found out when its up to the government to help you they dont always do a very good job.

Of course initially you'd still need to help people that are homeless or the old with health care etc..but theres a difference between that and a large group of people that are completely reliant on the government, thats just not financially feasible when you have a debt into the trillions.

people need to be empowered to help themselves.

So you think women should have to go to another state to have an abortion?

It's wrong in principle and would be in practice, dressing it up as some kind of compromise doesn't change anything.

George Bush Sr

Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton

George W Bush

George W Bush

Hilary Clinton????

Can you yanks not change the record?

You missed out Martin Sheen.

I hope that Clinton or Obama gets in. Prefer Obama personally.

Either of those 2 getting in would be a good indication that a new set of American voters are in town and that its no longer enough to be a white man in a suit who loves the media in order to get the top job. That in itself might be a huge wake up call to the massive number of people in this country who have given up on government.

So you think women should have to go to another state to have an abortion?

It's wrong in principle and would be in practice, dressing it up as some kind of compromise doesn't change anything.

If that is the wish of the state, then yes. No different to how it is in Ireland. If the people want to change that rule, then they'll change it. In practical terms, there is a possibility that it could become illegal in South Dakota and Mississippi, but I don't think it would in reality.

In any case, all states are different. My rules in New York shouldn't be applicable to those in Texas. We're very different people. Each state needs rules to govern its own people.

Gun ownership is very difficult in the northeast. That suits me fine. It is very easy in the south and west and that suits them fine. However, if their right to bear arms has an effect on my right not to get shot, then I have an issue with that. They need rules in place in those states to insure that I don't get hurt by their guns.

Either of those 2 getting in would be a good indication that a new set of American voters are in town and that its no longer enough to be a white man in a suit who loves the media in order to get the top job. That in itself might be a huge wake up call to the massive number of people in this country who have given up on government.

Cant agree with that, Hilary is every bit establishment as Bush, the democrat / republican tags mean nothing, Hilary has been given record amounts of money from defence contractors and is being helped by the head of Fox News what does that tell you?

She voted for the war in Iraq and has no plans to stop it, her platform would bankrupt the country even quicker than it already is. If you dont think shes part of the establishment ask yourself why is she attracting all this money not from individual donors but from big powerful people.

I don't think it makes any difference who is put up for a candidate if they have the backing of the global corporations. The candidate with the most money will win, regardless of who it is in the suit. And whoever gets in will be beholden to the same corporations for the whole duration of however many terms they remain in the top job. (I've just finished reading Post-Democracy by Colin Crouch - I've long been disaffected by democracy and now I know why).