Sign in to follow this  
Rahul

US Presidential race

Voting for the Democrat and Republican candidates starts tomorrow in Iowa.

Latest polls have Clinton and Obama AND Huckabee and Romney very close.

Democrats will have to f*** it up quite well not to win this year.

Clintons part deux for me this year.

George Bush Sr

Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton

George W Bush

George W Bush

Hilary Clinton????

Can you yanks not change the record?

Come on, you're looking forward to the Jenna/Chelsea face off in 2024 as much as the rest of us.

I think the only thing that will c**k it up for the Democrats is the potentially devisive choice of a non-white or a woman - which it looks like they will be headed for. I'd like to think the electorate is a bit more mature than to let that kind of stuff worry them but sadly I think most of are dumb enough to let it be an issue.

I think the only thing that will c**k it up for the Democrats is the potentially devisive choice of a non-white or a woman - which it looks like they will be headed for. I'd like to think the electorate is a bit more mature than to let that kind of stuff worry them but sadly I think most of are dumb enough to let it be an issue.

There's always a first time...

Do you think the combination of the 'time we had a woman president' vote plus the 'time we had a black president' vote might make a difference? (or alternatively, might the combination of the corresponding 'anti-' votes make a difference?)

Seems reasonable to assume that a black candidate (albeit not an 'African American' one in the usual sense) might result in a higher turnout among black voters than usual.

I know very little about Romney but Huckabee seems like a right c***.

What have happened to Giugliani (sp?)? Seems to me as the most reasonable of the republican candidates.

Giuliani had a heart scare or something like that a few weeks back didn't he? And on top of that he's not bothering with Iowa, he's been concentrating his efforts in other states.

Do you think the combination of the 'time we had a woman president' vote plus the 'time we had a black president' vote might make a difference? (or alternatively, might the combination of the corresponding 'anti-' votes make a difference?)

don't know really - looking at it from the Clinton point of view, I think she is as likely to alienate as many women voters as she is to increase the turnout. Not sure if Mubarak polarises voter opinion quite as much but it may at least be possible that he'll increase turn out but also up the anti-vote.

Ah, I see so the respective candidate elections from the parties are decided just like the presidential election with electoral votes from each state then? And Giuliani wouldn't bother because Iowa is a conservative state?

Edited by obey Hysén

don't know for sure but, yes, I think its something like that - I think there are some key states where, as one of the republican front runners, he is relatively low down in the polls (because of his stance on gay marriages, abortion etc.) so he is trying to concentrate his advertising and campaigning in those where he feels it will pay best dividends.

don't know for sure but, yes, I think its something like that - I think there are some key states where, as one of the republican front runners, he is relatively low down in the polls (because of his stance on gay marriages, abortion etc.) so he is trying to concentrate his advertising and campaigning in those where he feels it will pay best dividends.

That's my understaning too. Better to avoid standing that to stand and not win, thus risking killing his campaign from the start.

In my experience, the very early votes (always Iowa then New Hampshire) in the party nomination process are actually far LESS important than the commentators make them out to be at the time.

Ah, I see so the respective candidate elections from the parties are decided just like the presidential election with electoral votes from each state then? And Giuliani wouldn't bother because Iowa is a conservative state?

Basically, there are different types of primaries, and caucuses. The voters - registered dems or reps in each state - are electing people to go to the national party convention and vote there for the preferred candidate.

Candidates can pick up a lot of momentum ('big mo', as Johnmediawhore said) by doing well in the early states, but the real effect of the early primaries can be to scupper some candidates who don't do as well as had been expected.

Candidates have to look at where their money is going to be spent to best effect, and whether it's worth getting sucked into spending lots in Iowa, for example, when they're never going to do well there. It doesn't say much for Giuliani's electability in the general election in November if he doesn't think it's worth going to Iowa now, IMHO.

I have predicted President Clinton with Vice President Obama. I'll stick with that prediction.

Never happen John. They hate each other big time.

I like Obama but he's just not qualified. Maybe with another eight years under his belt.

Clinton is the prohibitive front runner but losing ground rapidly. She's not a very nice person, but she's capable. The problem with her in a general election is that a lot of people really, really hate her.

Edwards is a cool guy. Won't be VP. Could bring the most radical changes of all to things here.

Bill Richardson will be the VP on the Democrat side.

McCain isn't out of it yet. He's the best leader of everyone.

Guiliani has too much baggage. The Clintons will rip him to shreds. Three marriages, pro-abortion, and being Italian will kill him in the south.

Romney is horrible. A horrible phoney. Took one position to get elected Governor of Massachusetts and then takes the polar opposite position to run for President. Plus, the believe that Mormon stuff, you ahve to have a screw loose.

Huckerby is a nice guy. But, too religious right for me, and too clueless with foreign policy. I also could never vore for anyone who believes in creationism.

I like Obama but he's just not qualified.

Guiliani has too much baggage.

Never been a president (or VP) whose name ends in a vowel you pronounce.

No change this year.

Clinton is the prohibitive front runner but losing ground rapidly. She's not a very nice person, but she's capable.

You think so? Even after the debacle of her health care reform programme that she started then ruined when Bill was in charge?