By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sissoko

Guest RedIsMyColour

Guest RedIsMyColour

He is regarded nowadays as a starter.

Now with Gerrard hitting form playing from the centre and Alonso also playing well of late, does that mean Sissoko will be 3rd choice.

As much as I like him, I'd hate to see Gerrard be moved back to the right to accommodate him.

There was a thread on this a few days ago:

http://www.ynwa.tv/forum/index.php?showtop...&hl=sissoko

I think you have to find a place in the side for such a forceful player. Granted some aspects of his play are still quite raw but the attacking side of his game will improve in time.

In the meantime, with the likes of Bellamy, Kuyt, Gonzalez and Gerrard we should have enough in attack to compensate for Sissoko's shortcomings.

It's basically a choice of who you'd prefer to play, Pennant or Sissoko.

That's if you believe Gerrard to be the same player on the right as the middle, I don't.Therefore it's

Pennant and Excellent Gerrard or

Sissoko and less excellent Gerrard

Edited by Sion

Well SG scored 23 golas last season with a fair few coming from the r side.I think its more a case of our team finding some form at last after a slow start to the season.SG included in that he is now performing where as he had a slow stuttering start to the season as well.

Rafa will play SG on the right for some games i would bet on it, Sissoko has a big part to play im sure as well

That's if you believe Gerrard to be the same player on the right as the middle, I don't.Therefore it's

Pennant and Excellent Gerrard or

Sissoko and less excellent Gerrard

It doesn't matter whether Gerrard is the same player on the right or not. What matters is whether we're a stronger team with Gerrard and Sissoko in it or Gerrard and Pennant in it.

I think until we sign a top right sided player, when Sissoko is fit we will see Gerrard on the right more than in the centre. Gerrard is not the same player on the right, than he is in the centre... but we won more games when he played on the right last season, than we did with him in the centre.

Gerrard still creates and scores when in that position. He is not restricted in that position as he still roams, infact he probably has more license to get forward as Momo and Alonso are both holding to cover him.

Momo is very important for the closing down of the opposition. He really gives players no time and space. With Kuyt playing deep doing a similar job hassling players, the opposition are going to struggle scoring.

I think the left hand side of the pitch is a much bigger problem. When Garcia has been used in that position, he doesn't give Riise much protection and roams more often than staying wide. Gonzalez has looked very raw, not his fault really as he was overhyped before he came. Think he'll be a good player in the future, but at the moment he isn't terribly productive. Riise is needed at left back, as he is the best option we have in this position. That leaves Aurelio, who hasn't offered too much, although he has been injured. I'd like to see one of these players really grab the opportunity and make it hard for them to be left out. At the moment Kewell will walk straight back into the team, if he ever gets fit again.

Edited by Hydie

well ive always been of the opinion that changing a winning side too much has a bad effect.....

bringing sissoko back in would disrupt things a bit too much...especially seeing as gerrard and alonso are playing well right now and have found the right balance in their partnership..

Tough one for rafa.

it is a tough one, but is our upturn in results down to Gerrards change to the centre, or the drop in the standard of the opposition, or maybe even both.

it is a tough one, but is our upturn in results down to Gerrards change to the centre, or the drop in the standard of the opposition, or maybe even both.

I believe it to be a combination of several things.

Gerrard back in the middle.

Less rotation giving a more settled side.

Chances being converted into goals.

Defence playing better as a unit.

New signings settling more.

Return to form from senior players - Carragher / Alonso etc

and the standard of opposition. Even with our upturn in form we were still far from convincing yesterday and also against Pompey and City

and the standard of opposition. Even with our upturn in form we were still far from convincing yesterday and also against Pompey and City

Possibly, but we still have to beat what is infront of us.

which would all point towards Sissoko remaining on the bench once fit, and Gerrard to retain his place in the centre.

Edited by sned

No, I think it's more

(1) Gerrard reaching top form

(2) Bellamy reaching top form

(3) Carragher reaching top form

Perhaps this is due to Gerrard playing in a central role but I don't think it is really. He played brilliantly at right midfield last season. The three things I state give enough reason for your (3) and (4). There isn't that much less rotation, but our key players are playing better.

Possibly, but we still have to beat what is infront of us.

True. The problem is though the standard has gotten so low that the other 'top' teams always seem to beat them too. Hence the high winning points total of recent years. Ground out victories meant much more when lesser teams took more points off the top ones.

which would all point towards Sissoko remaining on the bench once fit, and Gerrard to retain his place in the centre.

Against the smaller teams it might not make much difference. But for the bigger sides a midfield of Sissoko, Alonso and Gerrard is far more solid than Alonso, Gerrard and Pennant. He was one of a few players who started the season well (Kuyt and Agger also). Last season when he got injured we lost to Benfica, Arsenal away and we lost some momentum. It is good in theory, 'not changing a winning side'... but we haven't really played a top team without Sissoko since he has been injured. Or should I say, we haven't won against a top team since he became injured. I don't think it is worth debating really, as I think we all know Rafa will play him anyway.

I think that a game equals 3 points, If you lose to chelsea but beat watford it might not really make a difference come the end of the season.

I think beating arsenal, chelsea and man u doesnt determine the league, its beating all those mid table sides, the give us problems, constantly.

If you beat the top 3 but then lose to the bottom three it doesnt make it any better...

f*** it Im not sure I made any sense in that.. hehe

I think that a game equals 3 points, If you lose to chelsea but beat watford it might not really make a difference come the end of the season.

I think beating arsenal, chelsea and man u doesnt determine the league, its beating all those mid table sides, the give us problems, constantly.

If you beat the top 3 but then lose to the bottom three it doesnt make it any better...

f*** it Im not sure I made any sense in that.. hehe

Of course it matters. If we beat Watform but lose to Chelsea, and then Chelsea beat Watford, then we're 3 points down on their total.

It's the same with not beating the Mancs. Every time we lose to them, they gain 3 points on us. And that's why we're chasing their tail again.

Against the smaller teams it might not make much difference. But for the bigger sides a midfield of Sissoko, Alonso and Gerrard is far more solid than Alonso, Gerrard and Pennant.

Maybe that's true, but when we play Gerrard on the right, we may then in turn be stronger out wide, but we're definately also weaker in the centre. Until we find a way to play SG, Alonso & Momo in a style that doesn't automatically mean SG goes out wide, I'm not convinced all 3 can play at once.

I hear what you are saying.

The biggest problem I have with Gerrard on the right, is the lack of goals centrally. Momo and Alonso did not get many last season. If you compare this with United who have Scholes, Chelsea with Lampard and Ballack... it would mean are strikers and wide players would have to score more.

The other issue is if we are not controlling a game and Gerrard is not involved enough. We all know he is our best player and we need him on the ball as much as possible. When we have lots of possession it is not a problem. But if we are struggling, I think Gerrard should be moved central where he can have more of an influence.

But when we had Momo, Alonso and Gerrard we rarely did not dominate, Even in the games we lost, we had the majority of possession and chances. (Benfica and Man U away, for example)

We were best when those three were all in the same team last season. I haven't seen too much this season to suggest otherwise. Mainly because Pennant hasn't excelled and the other three are key players.

But when we had Momo, Alonso and Gerrard we rarely did not dominate, Even in the games we lost, we had the majority of possession and chances. (Benfica and Man U away, for example)

Dominating teams is all well & good, but if we don't go on & beat them then dominating counts for nothing. I've no idea what the best way forward is, because to me Pennent is now starting to produce some of the play we know he's capable of, and I don't like the idea of Gerrard being moved to the right just to make way for Momo. If anything I'd possibly see how Momo & Stevie got on, but then we've got a top class player like Alonso warming the bench.

3-5-2 anyone? Allows us to play the 3 of them in the middle, plus we have 3 very good CBs and Finnan and Riise are more than capable of being wingbacks.

Tough choice for Rafa given the recent run and defensively it'd probably be foolish to change things now given the run of clean sheets, but i do think we're stronger with Sissoko in the middle and Gerrard wide right compared to Stevie in the middle and Pennant out there.

Well SG scored 23 golas last season with a fair few coming from the r side.I think its more a case of our team finding some form at last after a slow start to the season.SG included in that he is now performing where as he had a slow stuttering start to the season as well.

Rafa will play SG on the right for some games i would bet on it, Sissoko has a big part to play im sure as well

Scored most of those from the middle, but you knew that

It doesn't matter whether Gerrard is the same player on the right or not. What matters is whether we're a stronger team with Gerrard and Sissoko in it or Gerrard and Pennant in it.

Prob true, but it's far from clean cut, it becomes a question of degrees of difference and opponents

Gerrard should be put back on the right as soon as Sissoko returns otherwise we'll have nothing to argue about.

zonal marking

3-5-2 anyone? Allows us to play the 3 of them in the middle, plus we have 3 very good CBs and Finnan and Riise are more than capable of being wingbacks.

Tough choice for Rafa given the recent run and defensively it'd probably be foolish to change things now given the run of clean sheets, but i do think we're stronger with Sissoko in the middle and Gerrard wide right compared to Stevie in the middle and Pennant out there.

Our main drawback is scoring, we dont ever need an extra defender on the park, imo