By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

What It Means To Be British

slapnuts

One of the British national daily newspapers is asking readers "what it means to be British?" Some of the emails are hilarious but this is one from a chap in Switzerland...

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. And the most British thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign .

just got that on email :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what do y'all think of British Day ?

class.....would go down a storm on my street im sure :unsure:

The British have a lot to be very very proud of. And some things we shoudn't be. I can't think of another nation on earth for whom that isn't true, but there's only us who beat ourselves up about it ad nauseam.

it seems to me that only certain strands of english society do this though.....the whole post colonial guilt trip thing has been hoisted squarely upon english shoulders and the scots , welsh (and irish) step back as if to say ...well hey we were only along for the ride...its not really our fault.

it seems to me that only certain strands of english society do this though.....the whole post colonial guilt trip thing has been hoisted squarely upon english shoulders and the scots , welsh (and irish) step back as if to say ...well hey we were only along for the ride...its not really our fault.

True; the Irish, Scots, and Welsh can hide in their own histories which ran parallel to that, they have that recourse. The English don't really.

Who gives a f*** about their nationality? Patriotism isn't only the last refuge of a scoundrel, it's also the last refuge of a government with no concrete policies or plans for the future of the country, who are then desperately forced into making up pointless initiatives like this to endear themselves to twunts with St George Cross flags hanging out their windows and wasting everybody else's time and money.

If it's another day off work I'll take it, mind.

i think there's a lot of truth in what matty says. one of britain's greatest virtues is the cynicism that is so prevalent... unfortunately, its also one of its greatest vices - for the reasons matty outlined.

Are you kidding? The feckers have got far too high an opinion of themselves. :bleh:

different languages, different social structures and welfare systems, different attitudes to guns and violent crime, different attitudes and laws for drugs and prostitution, different legal systems some with the death penalty and some without.

does language count? Which social structures are more fluid? Is it just the U.S with the death penalty?

All genuine questions.

The attitudes of people in different countries is more what I'm thinking about. The attitude to drugs and guns are good examples I think.

We've got four bank holidays in Spring already though. We need another in Summer. I'd suggest 25th July.

July 25th in History

1909: Louis Bleriot becomes the first man to cross the Channel (between England and France) by plane

1943: Benito Mussolini, the Italian dictator, forced to resign

1957: Tunisia gains independence

I liked the suggestion of using 4th July to celebrate OUR independence from the United States - something all the 'British' nations and ethnic groups should be able to unite over.

Could feature a ceremony where the Prime Minister of the day writes out 10,000 lines "I will not allow myself to become the tool of American foreign policy".

Actually if it's considered we have too many spring bank holidays then just scrap the religious ones.

if there's gonna be a british day why not on VE day or summat?

That just might not go down so well with the Germans. The Queen would be proper pissed off.

In all seriousness, I think St Georges Day would be quite a popular holiday in England. And it would happily undermine half-baked political efforts to define 'Britishness' as well.

What about Hitler's birthday? That would be good.

Mr. Churchill would do well to remember in the first flush of victory that there's another nation that endured aggression not for seven years, but for seven hundred years...

is that why you lot didn't help in the fight against Nazism? :)