Sign in to follow this  
Gethin

Website hosting

Getting a bit annoyed with my current web hosts - probably paying too much for what I'm (not) using and their Tech Support has gone from excellent to poor in the last couple of years.

3 low traffic Wordpress based sites, Max 5 email accounts off each domain, SSL cert on one of them, using about 1GB storage between the 3, most of that associated with email accounts

Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably UK based with good, responsive Tech support

We use 1&1 Ionos at work and I've used them for home stuff too. They do tend to push their products on you quite a lot, and they aren't the absolute cheapest, but they offer a lot of flexibility with regards to changing your hosting package if you need it and it's a breeze to add new features or change set up.

Their technical support is ok, it's a case of depends which operative you get, but in total I'm responsible for about 12 different websites hosted on their servers and I've had to call their support 3 or 4 times in the last decade. You can do 99% of what you need through their online control panel, and their services are never offline.

Also, one of our devs installed a compromised WordPress plugin and their security services were amazing. They locked the site down automatically and telephoned me immediately to notify me. They sent me a list of the compromised files and explained to us what we needed to do there and then, plus checked what I'd done afterwards. Really impressive.

www.1and1.co.uk

Ended up moving to Krystal.co.uk off the back of a recommendation from here

Can thoroughly recommend them off the back of my dealings with them so far. Converting the 3 domains over has taken longer than I thought but I've had excellent 24 hour UK based tech support that have helped with a bunch of really annoying issues. They were almost all caused by my existing web hosts being f***ing useless - which is a shame as they were great until they got taken over.

Costing me just under £50 a year to host everything - including free SSL certificates. I was paying closer to £200 with my previous host 

I’ve been looking for an alternative to wix for a while.

I’m either going to have to use shopify, or hubspot.

I prefer hubspot and it will allow me to sell a lot more, particularly home made sauces, recipe pots and deli items. Problem is it’s £250 a month for the hubspot package.

Not sure where to go yet.

Will probably go for the cautious upgrade to shopify first.

Beyond my knowledge that - but £250 a month sounds VERY steep

Our main website is a simple (but pretty good looking) Wordpress job with our software provider's booking engine embedded into the website. It's £80 a month but for that we get real time availability updates across all the channels we sell through (so if someone books on booking.con then it makes that room unavailable everywhere else). Saves us a huge amount of admin time,

I’ve been looking for an alternative to wix for a while.

I’m either going to have to use shopify, or hubspot.

I prefer hubspot and it will allow me to sell a lot more, particularly home made sauces, recipe pots and deli items. Problem is it’s £250 a month for the hubspot package.

Not sure where to go yet.

Will probably go for the cautious upgrade to shopify first.

Hubspot is marketing automation software - why use that for eCommerce?

Hubspot is marketing automation software - why use that for eCommerce?

Hubspot is a lot more than that. It’s both CRM and CMS

Cheers I will check that out.

I use it and have for years, I have an IT background so it doesn’t phase me, I just got a web designer to create my site and I now maintain and update it.

If I had time I may have tried to do it myself from scratch