Sign in to follow this  
pipnasty

Extinction Rebellion

Front page news for the third day running, plenty of arrests and now glueing themselves to the DLR.

Good or bad?

They will almost definitely be the heroes of history in confronting the existential crisis which faces us.

Invariably i'll cheer them on from a distance. Or not that far actually, they are in Canary Wharf right now.

Part of their politeness is certainly deliberate and is part of the XR training. So, for example, you thank the police for arresting you.

Edited by pipnasty

They seem to be more like The Acceleration rather than The Reaction, so they get my vote.

Part of their politeness is certainly deliberate and is part of the XR training. So, for example, you thank the police for arresting you.

Yeah. I'm not dying about that.

Glued themselves to the fence outside Jeremy Corbyn’s house - is he an appropriate enemy for them?

I guess it gets press and gets people like me talking about it which is getting their message out there

Glued themselves to the fence outside Jeremy Corbyn’s house - is he an appropriate enemy for them?

I guess it gets press and gets people like me talking about it which is getting their message out there

I don't think they see him as their enemy, to be fair. And whilst offering our best hope, Labour still have some way to go with regard to necessary system change

Apparently they're doing it because they like him. :lol: :lol:

They will get my full respect when one of them wallpaper pastes themselves to a plank of wood hanging below a helicopter.

I don't think they see him as their enemy, to be fair. And whilst offering our best hope, Labour still have some way to go with regard to necessary system change

Yeah I get that and I'm supportive of raising awareness on this issue and forcing change.

In terms of Labour, it's deffo a mixed bag. Sadiq Khan has actually been championing climate change in his time as Mayor and was also actively supportive of the school climate strikes. The ULEZ is a pretty decent step forward.

I see the protests today have been targeting disruptions at some tube stations and other public transport and Khan was pointing out today with some justification I think that getting more people to use public transport rather than driving, using taxis etc was actually a good thing for climate change so perhaps the protests disrupting public transport wasn't necessarily the right message?

Edited by TommoK

It's a fair point and one that has caused a few disagreements within XR itself. I suppose that if you look at their three demands (tell the truth about climate change, zero carbon by 2025 and the setting up of a citizens assembly to oversee this) then, if the aim is to disrupt the current business as usual system, then targeting public transport is not inconsistent with this.

I personally think that Sadiq Khan is full of s*** when it comes to environmental concerns as his support for the expansion of Gatwick shows. The Mayor of Manchester, Burnham, is the same - talks the talk but then wants to massively expand MCR airport. In fact, this appears to be a bit of a thing at the moment all over the country - it's like 'well, we have to placate business somehow.' MCR have got round the potentially tricky issue of airport carbon emissions by announcing that they aren't going to count them in their quest to get emissions down to zero by 2038 (in MCR's case). 

It's a fair point and one that has caused a few disagreements within XR itself. I suppose that if you look at their three demands (tell the truth about climate change, zero carbon by 2025 and the setting up of a citizens assembly to oversee this) then, if the aim is to disrupt the current business as usual system, then targeting public transport is not inconsistent with this.

I personally think that Sadiq Khan is full of s*** when it comes to environmental concerns as his support for the expansion of Gatwick shows. The Mayor of Manchester, Burnham, is the same - talks the talk but then wants to massively expand MCR airport. In fact, this appears to be a bit of a thing at the moment all over the country - it's like 'well, we have to placate business somehow.' MCR have got round the potentially tricky issue of airport carbon emissions by announcing that they aren't going to count them in their quest to get emissions down to zero by 2038 (in MCR's case).

Haha!

I think we should not count our games against City this season in the final points total.

Best possible way of getting the media to talk about them isn’t it.

Yeah I get that and I'm supportive of raising awareness on this issue and forcing change.

In terms of Labour, it's deffo a mixed bag. Sadiq Khan has actually been championing climate change in his time as Mayor and was also actively supportive of the school climate strikes. The ULEZ is a pretty decent step forward.

I see the protests today have been targeting disruptions at some tube stations and other public transport and Khan was pointing out today with some justification I think that getting more people to use public transport rather than driving, using taxis etc was actually a good thing for climate change so perhaps the protests disrupting public transport wasn't necessarily the right message?

They decided against protests on the tube, but glued themselves to one train roof on the DLR.

Well yeah that's a fair criticism of Khan. His focus is on air quality in Central London which was a significant part of his campaign promises and subsequent policy. His views on Gatwick extension do "fly" in the face of that somewhat tho I agree.

Haha!

I think we should not count our games against City this season in the final points total.

City fans are seemingly blaming the away goals rule for their demise tonight.

Best possible way of getting the media to talk about them isn’t it.

Yeah I get that and understand their aim is exposure - wasn't there a prominent Tory's house they could have targeted tho? ;)

They decided against protests on the tube, but glued themselves to one train roof on the DLR.

There was deffo stuff on the tube as well today - District Line amongst others. Edited by TommoK

I still speak to farmers who don’t believe climate change is caused by human activity.

walked across waterloo bridge yesterday and there was a fella just spent the whole time going back and forth on a skateboard in a half pipe. 

Not sure what that's really achieving, though he appeared to need the practice. 

walked across waterloo bridge yesterday and there was a fella just spent the whole time going back and forth on a skateboard in a half pipe. 

Not sure what that's really achieving, though he appeared to need the practice. 

was this part of the protest?

yes, this was not a non sequitur

it was a kind of surreal 'performed installation' denoting the futility of half-arsed climate change measures