By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Black Monday

Hassony

Loads of confusion here - just to recap, there was a question about stocks, Jarg made a joke about bouillon, a vegetable-based stock, I mentioned gold, because bouillon sounds like bullion, Mike thought Jarg's post was a typo and Serko is questioning my knowledge of all things fiscal.

Admittedly, had I known that the intent of Jarg's initial post was not only a stock joke, but a gold bullion one also, I'd never have got involved.

What a mess.

is this actually a thing? like a 2008 thing? i don't really trust the media any more but i've got friends panicking who are far more wealthy than me. is this going to be another massive do?

edit: i do not understand economics in any way. just can't get it in the same way i can't remember monarchs in pub quizzes. just doesn't go in.

Edited by Stevie H

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of confusion here - just to recap, there was a question about stocks, Jarg made a joke about bouillon, a vegetable-based stock, I mentioned gold, because bouillon sounds like bullion, Mike thought Jarg's post was a typo and Serko is questioning my knowledge of all things fiscal.

Admittedly, had I known that the intent of Jarg's initial post was not only a stock joke, but a gold bullion one also, I'd never have got involved.

What a mess.

Don't worry mate, it's all gravy.

This must be a new record for a thread jumping the shark and disappearing up its own tradesman's entrance.

All I know is that the slightest twitch sends my investment south. Bloody bankers.

What is your "investment"?

HSBC based stuff. Seems to go up and down like a yo-yo but that's the nature of the beast. Total layman at it all, obviously.

HSBC-based? Does that mean something that you bought off HSBC?

HSBC-based? Does that mean something that you bought off HSBC?

He invests in tax evasion, fee manipulation and laundering money for drug dealers. Aren't those the top HSBC products?

For all of the blood and noise we are nearly back where we finished on Friday.

Yes. They do funds that are based around stocks, currency, property, commodities etc. Lost few grand of original investment in first six months then regained that loss and further monies in the next six months.

He invests in tax evasion, fee manipulation and laundering money for drug dealers. Aren't those the top HSBC products?

Had several sit downs with these fellas before I invested and asked if they did stuff that was ethical ie avoided munitions companies, drug czars, oligarchs and all that; basically rolled their eyes and asked if I wanted to maximise my profit for my family or not.

Yes. They do funds that are based around stocks, currency, property, commodities etc. Lost few grand of original investment in first six months then regained that loss and further monies in the next six months.

I'd put in for compensation around mis-selling, to be honest. You clearly have no f***ing clue (with all dues respect etc.) around what you have bought. This is more acomment on HSBC than you, by the way. Although I do wonder about anyone who puts thousands of pounds of their cash into something they fundamentally don't understand.

For all of the blood and noise we are nearly back where we finished on Friday.

That's head in the sand stuff though, isn't it?

I'd put in for compensation around mis-selling, to be honest. You clearly have no f***ing clue (with all dues respect etc.) around what you have bought. This is more acomment on HSBC than you, by the way. Although I do wonder about anyone who puts thousands of pounds of their cash into something they fundamentally don't understand.

That's head in the sand stuff though, isn't it?

You are probably right, but we had it a little easier over here than you guys did as the rally started almost immediately after the drop so it wasn't as dramatic a day...

...some last minute drama in the US markets. Now this is getting interesting. Might be seeing a lot of bright green on the Chinese boards later. If the authorities really are looking to let the shares traded over there find their proper level in an open market it could be a rough night.

petrol's got cheaper - 1,29 euro for the green stuff as I drove home: haven't seen it that low for some time

how much is petrol in the pound zone?

About £1.10 for unleaded and £1.08 for Diesel around here - the last few weeks is the first time Diesel's been cheaper than petrol for a few years