By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Fishing

Murphman

I can't recall a fishing thread? Anyway, 30 years ago I was playing football, golf and fishing. Something had to give, I busted my hand and decided golf was more healthy, when I had the plaster off I made the decision and knocked fishing on the head. I've only been twice since and that was years ago, I fished almost exclusively for barbel, 8lb 10 oz was my record, I never got that elusive 'double'. The barbel record back then was 14lb 10 0z, a monster from The Royalty. Thirty years on double digit barbel are common place it's astonishing how much bigger they are, largely as a result of fishermen feeding them high protein I'd say?

Perch were almost extinct and any you caught were tine back then, they've made an amazing recovery I hear?

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of going back to fishing, anybody else on here do a bit? Those of you in the North West will probably never have caught a barbel, an unbelievably strong fish, no warning from them either, they bite, the rod arches over and the battle commences, I know a hundred stories were people lost their rod because they weren't quick enough. Apparently only a salmon or a big carp can compare with their fighting qualities.

Edited by Murphman

My PB would have broken the record back then ;)/>/>/>

Not got down to the Royalty yet despite it only being 20 odd miles away, have been fishing the Stour up by Wimborne recently but nothing much doing as the water level is still very low.

It was fortunes to fish it back in the day, the record barbel and salmon were both caught there, both were on display in glass cases in Davis Tackle Shop in Christchurch. Despite living a couple of mile from The Thames I did most of my fishing on The Kennet, I may well start up again next year.

What's your PB, and from where?

Edited by Murphman

I'd like to fish. my house backs onto a lake and it would be very calming to sit there fishing...

however the snapping turtles, snakes and alligators make it a very questionable proposition. certainly not calming.

The kids wanted to fish in Florida. I bought a rod in Wal Mart and caught feck all, I realised I actually didn't want to catch anything though, I don't know nor trust yank fish, snapping turtles are alright, alligators don't bother me but f*ck snakes, they're a proper danger.

It was fortunes to fish it back in the day, the record barbel and salmon were both caught there, both were on display in glass cases in Davis Tackle Shop in Christchurch. Despite living a couple of mile from The Thames I did most of my fishing on The Kennet, I may well start up again next year.

What's your PB, and from where?

15.2lb from the Mole round the back of Box Hill on a stretch controlled by Dorking & District Angling, also had to two 11lb from there.

The Royalty is only around £12 for a day ticket, think its about £150 for the year via Ringwood Angling who also control stretches at Throop - will join next year once my Wimbone membership runs out...

15.2lb from the Mole round the back of Box Hill on a stretch controlled by Dorking & District Angling, also had to two 11lb from there.

The Royalty is only around £12 for a day ticket, think its about £150 for the year via Ringwood Angling who also control stretches at Throop - will join next year once my Wimbone membership runs out...

The Parlour Pool and Bennigans are dearer than that mate. It's an amazing place to be at 7.30am on a summers morning, I just checked out their website, brought it all back to me.

The Parlour Pool and Bennigans are dearer than that mate. It's an amazing place to be at 7.30am on a summers morning, I just checked out their website, brought it all back to me.

You might be thinking of salmon fishing which is more expensive at £30 but for coarse fishing its £12.50 for the day, trust me... Or if you want you can have a beat all to yourself with prices ranging from £45 to £100.

You might be thinking of salmon fishing which is more expensive at £30 but for coarse fishing its £12.50 for the day, trust me... Or if you want you can have a beat all to yourself with prices ranging from £45 to £100.

The main river is where you turn right in the car park, turning left you access the more prolific swims and it costs more, always has done Rob.

My link

The main river is where you turn right in the car park, turning left you access the more prolific swims and it costs more, always has done Rob.

My link

My mistake I thought those stretches were included in the normal day rate and you could just book a them to yourself if wanted for extra £££'s. Mind for barbell the main river is just as good from what I hear also Throop is pretty decent if you know where they are. Anyways if you ever fancy a day at the Royalty let me know...

Edited by Eskimo

I went sea fishing about 2 years ago - was one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had. I caught a shark and then wrestled with it whilst I had my photo taken with it - which was nice - but it was still, all in all, an experience I never want to repeat.

I go sea fishing fairly regularly in the summer - once a month or so between may and sept. I like it.

Biggest thing I've ever caught was a Ling, no idea of the weight but it was about 2ft long.

My mistake I thought those stretches were included in the normal day rate and you could just book a them to yourself if wanted for extra £££'s. Mind for barbell the main river is just as good from what I hear also Throop is pretty decent if you know where they are. Anyways if you ever fancy a day at the Royalty let me know...

I will do it next summer I'm sure and I'll give you a shout. I'll try out the Kennet first just to make sure I still like it, the size of those bloody things now, the record is over 20lb!!!!

Just read the title of this as "Fisting. Have we done this before?"

I'd love to go sea fishing, though not sure I'd be any good at it.

It's not the most difficult sport, sea fishing that is. Coarse fishing is way harder because the fish are returned and become wary once they've been caught a few times. I don't like sea fishing personally although I did catch a nice skate when I went and we had it for our tea.

Mackerel almost literally jump on to the line - no great skill involved there - but the larger fish are a real challenge. I caught a cat shark which was about 3-3.5 feet long and it was a real struggle, and I suspect a lot of beginner's luck. There were two time-served sea fishers on the boat at the same time and, apart from Mackerel and Whiting, they caught one large fish between them all day (another cat shark). The two mates I went with caught nothing apart from the scraps.

Mackerel almost literally jump on to the line - no great skill involved there - but the larger fish are a real challenge. I caught a cat shark which was about 3-3.5 feet long and it was a real struggle, and I suspect a lot of beginner's luck. There were two time-served sea fishers on the boat at the same time and, apart from Mackerel and Whiting, they caught one large fish between them all day (another cat shark). The two mates I went with caught nothing apart from the scraps.

Mackarel are just for bait though, no-one considers them a decent catch.