By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Jon Brookes

Conrad

I used to be a big fan of the Charlatans when I was a student, early-mid 90s. Saw them at Blackpool on a Daytripper gig with Ride in 1993, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Thought they lost their way soon after that and should have called it a day when the keyboard player went off the road, literally.

They've had more than their fair share of tragedy. Good drummer John Brookes. Him and Rob Collins were the whole basis of their sound really. RIP, 44 is no age.

Edited by Heighway 61 Revisited

I used to be a big fan of the Charlatans when I was a student, early-mid 90s. Saw them at Blackpool on a Daytripper gig with Ride in 1993, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Thought they lost their way soon after that and should have called it a day when the keyboard player went off the road, literally.

They've had more than their fair share of tragedy. Good drummer John Brookes. Him and Rob Collins were the whole basis of their sound really. RIP, 44 is no age.

Kind of agree with this, 'Tellin Stories' was the last great album they released, it was downhill from there (despite the amazing 'Forever') and by the time 'Wonderland' was released I think it was over.

I first saw them in 1995 the week they released 'The Charlatans' and it went to number one. It still remains the best gig Ive ever been to, the fact they came on for a second encore after a large part of the crowd has dispersed made it even better. They played 'Time for Livin' to a half empty Apollo and it was f***ing brilliant. I saw them at least once a year after that right up until 'Wonderland' and Tims bizarre falsetto vocals.

I dont think Ive ever seen a better drummer than Jon Brookes, really sad he's gone.

RIP

Kind of agree with this, 'Tellin Stories' was the last great album they released, it was downhill from there (despite the amazing 'Forever') and by the time 'Wonderland' was released I think it was over.

I first saw them in 1995 the week they released 'The Charlatans' and it went to number one. It still remains the best gig Ive ever been to, the fact they came on for a second encore after a large part of the crowd has dispersed made it even better. They played 'Time for Livin' to a half empty Apollo and it was f***ing brilliant. I saw them at least once a year after that right up until 'Wonderland' and Tims bizarre falsetto vocals.

I dont think Ive ever seen a better drummer than Jon Brookes, really sad he's gone.

RIP

great sentiments Moose, agree with you on Wonderland too. hated it - thought they'd jumped the shark with that one.

they did a couple of good tracks after that - Blackened Blue Eyes and High Up Your Tree. But that's about it.

Going to listen to Indian Rope tonight, great drumming on that.

RIP - a very, very good drummer for a very under-rated band.

Agree with the comments above but also thought that Wonderland was a godo album with some great singles - Love is the Key, You're so Pretty - and I really liked You Cross my Path too. Saw them around that time and they then seems a band back at their best.

Really sad news :(/>

RIP Jon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RJwW77Lsj8

I'm currently trying to compile a top 50 tracks list - for the hell of it - this is deffo in that list.

Wasn't it their keyboard player who died about 15y ago too?

Saw them at Legends in Warrington on a pre-release gig for their LP. It was boiling hot but fecking excellent

Wasn't it their keyboard player who died about 15y ago too?

They haven't had much luck at all, Rob went to prison for armed robbery and died in 1996, the bass player had a mental breakdown early on and their accountant stole all their money from the first few albums.

Edit: that sounded like he died in prison, he only actually did a few months in prison, he was an unwitting getaway driver.

Edited by Moose

They haven't had much luck at all, Rob went to prison for armed robbery and died in 1996, the bass player had a mental breakdown early on and their accountant stole all their money from the first few albums.

Edit: that sounded like he died in prison, he only actually did a few months in prison, he was an unwitting getaway driver.

Yeah i remember that, didnt he have a mate in the car who said 'stop here' to go in a ship then jump back in the car saying he had had the till off?

Yeah i remember that, didnt he have a mate in the car who said 'stop here' to go in a ship then jump back in the car saying he had had the till off?

yep, an offie with a sawn-off I think.

he was a maniac the keyboard player by all accounts constantly living it large as they used to say back in the day.

Saw them at Legends in Warrington on a pre-release gig for their LP. It was boiling hot but fecking excellent

I saw them at Legends twice in 1990, January and August it was I think. The first was just as Indian Rope was released, must have been one of their earliest gigs, the second just before Then and Some Friendly were out. You must mean the second one I reckon. It was billed as a "mystery" gig by Si Moran who put it on when he was flogging the tickets but I remember everyone knowing it was to be the Charlatans. It was a cracking gig....both were.

I bought a t-shirt at that second gig, black with "Then" on the front and "...and Then again" on the back with the release date 10.09.90. I've still got it and was wearing it a couple of weeks back and my wife was laughing that the t-shirt is older than half the people she works with. F*ck....I'm old.

Really sad. 44 really is no age to die. RIP Jon.

Saw them play at Arthur's Day 3 or 4 years back, they were the surprise band in a pub in Dublin, an old Church with horribly reverberant acoustics. They walked out with no sound check and with the sound bouncing around and were amazing. Every other band struggled to hear themselves and one even walked off because of it. The Charlatans didn't give a f*** and still sounded great.