By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

PC help

Eskimo

Any beeps?

Do you get the bios or boot menu?

Remove the hard drive and put it into another computer, or get one of those gizmos which you can connect it via USB and recover files you need.

It's easy on a PC though, just screw the old one out and put the new one in and connect the cables. There is no exposure to the innards of the PSU.

Indeed.

Have you also tried turning it on and off again?

How would that help? It'd still be switched off after you'd done that.

99.9% of all IT related issues can be solved by turning it on and off again, if it isn't turning back on again it probably isn't worth fixing.

It's easy on a PC though, just screw the old one out and put the new one in and connect the cables. There is no exposure to the innards of the PSU.

yeah this and I did suggest using someone who knew what they were doing just to be on the safe side

get someone who knows what they are doing to replace the internal power supply unit

Yep.

Also, the motherboard has an led that glows when it gets power. Assuming that nothing is wrong with the motherboard itself, open up the cabinet, look for the led and if its not glowing, replace the PSU.

Problem solved but what a fecking day...!! Panic, anger followed by more panic (the nearly in tears type) as I'd thought I'd lost a load of work emails, files etc which would have been a major disaster. Anyways it wasn't a power issue the fecker just jacked it in, solved problem by taking out hard drive and sticking it in an old pc that was knocking around in the end. Managed to retrieve the lot, mind still had to go an buy a new pc :rolleyes:

PS. Windows 8 sucks...

Edited by Eskimo

Problem solved but what a fecking day...!! Panic, anger followed by more panic (the nearly in tears type) as I'd thought I'd lost a load of work emails, files etc which would have been a major disaster. Anyways it wasn't a power issue the fecker just jacked it in, solved problem by taking out hard drive and sticking it in an old pc that was knocking around in the end. Managed to retrieve the lot, mind still had to go an buy a new pc :rolleyes:

PS. Windows 8 sucks...

Back yer data up

just don't back it up to an external HDD, I've only got 4 of those guys in the 'mountain of crap dead IT things'. I say this as a preacher who hasn't got his own house in order totally yet but for critical data I have.

just don't back it up to an external HDD, I've only got 4 of those guys in the 'mountain of crap dead IT things'. I say this as a preacher who hasn't got his own house in order totally yet but for critical data I have.

Maybe you just bought crap ones?

Never had an issue with the external drive I use.