By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Naming children

Kahnee

Following on from a thread elsewhere - where do your parental types get your inspiration for naming your offspring?

As someone who only has to name the occasional pet, and whose mother is gonna pay when it comes to care-home time, I've always been fascinated as to how much/little thought seems to go into some children's names.

Kylie, Britney and a little blonde girl called Beyonce are all recent highlights of a kiddie picture contest in our local paper...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from a thread elsewhere - where do your parental types get your inspiration for naming your offspring?

As someone who only has to name the occasional pet, and whose mother is gonna pay when it comes to care-home time, I've always been fascinated as to how much/little thought seems to go into some children's names.

Kylie, Britney and a little blonde girl called Beyonce are all recent highlights of a kiddie picture contest in our local paper...

Frank Zappa.

For our most recent child, the process went like this.

Eldest son: Can we call the baby Cartman

Me & Wife: No

Eldest son: What about Kenny

Me & Wife: Give over

Eldest son: Stan ?

Me & Wife: We're not naming the baby after someone in Southpark

Eldest son: Kyle

Myself and wife just looked at each other and nodded.

Kyle_Broflovski_by_MentalRocks.jpg

You read those? Bit noncey

I work on the damn thing. I've had to check those pages. Parents get a tad miffed when you get the brat's name wrong

I'm always amazed that sales don't go up more when those papers come out, though

We couldn't think of one until we saw an episode of The Bill with a young character called Stan. Not the best source of inspiration or the most inspired name, but it suits him. It seems to have become quite popular as well.I saw in the Dido thread that that's what her son is called too.

We couldn't think of one until we saw an episode of The Bill with a young character called Stan. Not the best source of inspiration or the most inspired name, but it suits him. It seems to have become quite popular as well.I saw in the Dido thread that that's what her son is called too.

you have collymore and staunton as fallbacks though. and laurel. it's possible i'm not helping here.

That's a bit odd, considering the Eminem track she's most famous for.

Me and the missus came up with separate shortlists of names we like. For our first we had a few of the same names on each so it was easy and went with Eve. The second was the same process but i ended up with Cara and the missus wanted Iris. No prizes for guessing which one became the first name and which one became the middle name. She was right.

We did the same thing with our first (Toby) then couldn't decide on a name for the second so asked Toby for his ideas and he came up with Henry (while watching Thomas the Tank Engine) We had gone through books and books and the whole way through the iphone app of names and neither of us had even considered Henry.

I suggested Ethan for our little whilst watching The Searchers whilst the missus was about 7 months pregnant and we had no idea what to call him. She agreed there and then and from that moment on he was called that - and still is today. Advice is to watch a Western a pick a name from that.

you have collymore and staunton as fallbacks though. and laurel. it's possible i'm not helping here.

Boardman

Ogden

Not helping massively, though Stan Ogden was pretty cool!

That's a bit odd, considering the Eminem track she's most famous for.

Never consciously listened to "Stan" before, but having just done so, it is indeed a bit odd.

It's a stupid name to have picked for a kid growing up in Spain as "Stan" is very difficult for the Spanish to say as one syllable as "st" doesn't exist in Spanish as a single sound. It normally comes out as "Es-tan" which means "they are", so "Where is Stan" in Spanish comes out as "Where is they are?"

I suggested Ethan for our little whilst watching The Searchers whilst the missus was about 7 months pregnant and we had no idea what to call him. She agreed there and then and from that moment on he was called that - and still is today. Advice is to watch a Western a pick a name from that.

we did that too....hopefully Ten Bears will like his name when hes older.

Not helping massively, though Stan Ogden was pretty cool!

Never consciously listened to "Stan" before, but having just done so, it is indeed a bit odd.

It's a stupid name to have picked for a kid growing up in Spain as "Stan" is very difficult for the Spanish to say as one syllable as "st" doesn't exist in Spanish as a single sound. It normally comes out as "Es-tan" which means "they are"

Ursula said all that to me when I told her youd named him stan.

Mrs said she didn't want anymore kids when I met her, but in a hypothetical conversation about what we would call kids if we hade them, we both said Ben for a boy and Scarlett for a girl. When she changed her mind and wanted a child by me, we had a boy and called him Ben.

I did have to put up a fight after he was born though, she suddenly decided Elvis would be a good name for him. Elvis is now his middle name, but he never ever tells anyone what the E is for.

Ursula said all that to me when I told her youd named him stan.

You could've relayed that to me. I was far too think to work it out.

Mrs said she didn't want anymore kids when I met her, but in a hypothetical conversation about what we would call kids if we hade them, we both said Ben for a boy and Scarlett for a girl. When she changed her mind and wanted a child by me, we had a boy and called him Ben.

I did have to put up a fight after he was born though, she suddenly decided Elvis would be a good name for him. Elvis is now his middle name, but he never ever tells anyone what the E is for.

I hope your surname is King.

First born was going to be called Jade if a Girl and Ben if a boy, wifes "friend" had a girl the week before us and called it Jade.

Girl born and we called her Jodie

Second was going to be called Jade if Girl, Ben if boy.

Jade it is.

Third we were convinced would be a boy so was going to be Ben or Jake.

Little girl so now wtf do we do, 24 hours later its a toss up between Jessica (wife likes J's) and Kate, she won so we now have Jessica Kate.

We are having no more thankfully, dread to think what J she would come up with??