By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Pope Dusty

smithdown

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he's done something terrible in the church's eyes like having sex with an adult or something.

Someone I know who worked for a fashion house in Rome told me that the identity of his boyfriend is supposed to be a fairly open secret amongst the city's high society.

There's an article about the rumours here, which links to an excellent, but very long article on the same topic by Colm Toibin.

Someone I know who worked for a fashion house in Rome told me that the identity of his boyfriend is supposed to be a fairly open secret amongst the city's high society.

There's an article about the rumours here, which links to an excellent, but very long article on the same topic by Colm Toibin.

See this annoys me. Or it would do if I knew it to be correct.

Like either believe what you believe and stand by it or review your position and change it but don't do one f***ing thing and say another when at the head of the church criticising millions for f*** all

See this annoys me. Or it would do if I knew it to be correct.

Like either believe what you believe and stand by it or review your position and change it but don't do one f***ing thing and say another when at the head of the church criticising millions for f*** all

Did you read Toibin's article? It's a good read. Always a pleasure to read something that's so well written.

Did you read Toibin's article? It's a good read. Always a pleasure to read something that's so well written.

This is b******s:

"when you look at the Pope's mental architecture (I've read a great deal of his writing over the last two decades) you do see that strong internal repression does make sense of his life and beliefs. At times, it seems to me, his gayness is almost wince-inducing. The prissy fastidiousness, the effeminate voice, the fixation on liturgy and ritual, and the over-the-top clothing accessories are one thing. But what resonates with me the most is a theology that seems crafted from solitary introspection into a perfect, abstract unity of belief. It is so perfect it reflects a life of withdrawal from the world of human relationship, rather than an interaction with it."

This is b******s:

"when you look at the Pope's mental architecture (I've read a great deal of his writing over the last two decades) you do see that strong internal repression does make sense of his life and beliefs. At times, it seems to me, his gayness is almost wince-inducing. The prissy fastidiousness, the effeminate voice, the fixation on liturgy and ritual, and the over-the-top clothing accessories are one thing. But what resonates with me the most is a theology that seems crafted from solitary introspection into a perfect, abstract unity of belief. It is so perfect it reflects a life of withdrawal from the world of human relationship, rather than an interaction with it."

The Toibin piece is a lot better than the Sullivan one, and that extract is pretty florid, but there's some truth in the idea that absolute moral certainty is easier found in a world of intellectual detachment as opposed to the messy stuff of real life, is there not?

New guy will be from outside Europe I bet.

They should go back to their roots and choose a Jew.

there's some truth in the idea that absolute moral certainty is easier found in a world of intellectual detachment as opposed to the messy stuff of real life, is there not?

yes. but the essence of the section I quoted is "look at him, he's a poofter, you can just tell".

if the Pope's thinking reflects "a life of withdrawal from the world of human relationship", I'd suggest that was evidence that he is celibate rather than evidence that he is gay.

This is b******s:

He's forgotten the Kylie songs that he insisted on opening the mass for Quinquagesima with.

yes. but the essence of the section I quoted is "look at him, he's a poofter, you can just tell".

if the Pope's thinking reflects "a life of withdrawal from the world of human relationship", I'd suggest that was evidence that he is celibate rather than evidence that he is gay.

Possibly, though Sullivan's contention would be that Ratzinger was celibate as a denial of his homosexuality, rather than because he especially valued celibacy.