By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

My spoiled mate Tony

Murphman

Self confessed, self obsessed and totally selfish, by his own admission too, but his good points are outstanding and we love him, for 40 years he's been accused of 'only child' syndrome, his parents doted on him and he went short for nothing.

Then yesterday he dropped in to conversation 'my sister'..

Pardon?......

He forgot he hadn't told us, his mum had a child, she was adopted and has lived in Australia since she was a kid.

We eventually got up off the floor.

She's 62 and applied for a UK passport, her application required some proof or other which involved her researching her background. It's not clear quite how it happened but he received an e mail asking him whether his mother was called Joan from this woman who had somehow tracked him down via the adoption agency. She's 62 years old, she emailed him a photograph of her at 18 months with her adopted mother and another woman, she begged the question to Tony 'Is this woman in the photo my birth mother?'

It was his mum aged about 18, his sister had wondered for 60 years and finally now for sure knew what her mother looked like, poor Joan only died a few years back, such a shame this hadn't happened earlier. So now Tony now asserts we were all talking boll*cks accusing him on only child syndrome!!

The relationship is blossoming, I can't begin to imagine what this must be like, they're both well chuffed though, I thought it was one of the nicest stories I've heard in a long while, f*ck off Kahnee!!

Edited by Murphman

What's the old wife's tale?

Had to scratch my head at that comment - then I spotted the sub-title for the thread. Read it again ;)

As for the story - nice to hear these kind of things. Ex of mine back in Dublin is adopted, and I helped her track down her birth mother when we were together. Unfortunately her mother had died, so all that she get was to visit her grave and pay respects. That was back in the late 90s.

In the last 3 years, she has managed to track down her birth father and she gets on great with him and his family. Just last week, she's discovered that her grandmother on her mother's side is still alive....and that she has 3 aunts/uncles on that side. She's now working on getting in touch with them.

For the only person that I know that it happened to it turned out to be a bit of a weird situation. She is the sister-in-law of my mum's best friend, she was happily married, two grown up kids (early 20s) and one day thus woman of thirty-ish knocked on the door and was claiming to be her daughter... the woman'd never told anyone, her husband included, about it as it had happened when she was in her mid-teens and it had all been hushed up. So it was a bit of a shock. Not long afterwards, her 'real' daughter, the one from her marriage, died of an alcohol related illness. So she lost one daughter and gained another, but the whole thing put a massive strain on everyone involved.

I hope this turns out well though, Murph, I always think it's heart-warnming when you hear about these things and for every one that goes pear-shaped there must be dozens where it makes a really great and positive difference.

For the only person that I know that it happened to it turned out to be a bit of a weird situation. She is the sister-in-law of my mum's best friend, she was happily married, two grown up kids (early 20s) and one day thus woman of thirty-ish knocked on the door and was claiming to be her daughter... the woman'd never told anyone, her husband included, about it as it had happened when she was in her mid-teens and it had all been hushed up. So it was a bit of a shock. Not long afterwards, her 'real' daughter, the one from her marriage, died of an alcohol related illness. So she lost one daughter and gained another, but the whole thing put a massive strain on everyone involved.

I hope this turns out well though, Murph, I always think it's heart-warnming when you hear about these things and for every one that goes pear-shaped there must be dozens where it makes a really great and positive difference.

I've told him to stop f*cking about and ring her. He's bricking it but in a nice way, he's really chuffed he has a sister, really chuffed. She's in Oz so if she turns out to be a 'mare he won't have her in his face either. win/win.