By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Broadband

Kvarme Ate My Food

Is it worth paying an extra fiver a month to get 100Mb rather than 60Mb?

Two users, won't be doing all that much downloading and streaming on different devices.

I like the idea of having the dead dead fast one, but am I likely to really notice the difference?

Its going to be shared bandwidth anyway (by a factor of 8 probably). So a difference of 5Mbps (100-60 / 8) download during peak usage hours isn't a lot. Its obviously a nice to have and I'd probably get it for an extra fiver a month, but you probably wont notice the difference especially if you arent streaming.

Edited by carrafan

Is it worth paying an extra fiver a month to get 100Mb rather than 60Mb?

Two users, won't be doing all that much downloading and streaming on different devices.

I like the idea of having the dead dead fast one, but am I likely to really notice the difference?

Probably worth checking what the internet speed in your area is anyway. I live in one of the slowest broadband speed areas in the country (annoyingly) and there's no point in paying for the extra as you're just spending money on something that doesn't really exist.

Its going to be shared bandwidth anyway (by a factor of 8 probably). So a difference of 5Mbps (100-60 / 8) download during peak usage hours isn't a lot. Its obviously a nice to have and I'd probably get it for an extra fiver a month, but you probably wont notice the difference especially if you arent streaming.

I will stream, but probably only on one device at a time.

Probably worth checking what the internet speed in your area is anyway. I live in one of the slowest broadband speed areas in the country (annoyingly) and there's no point in paying for the extra as you're just spending money on something that doesn't really exist.

oh good shout.

uSwitch reckons I'll only get up to 50Mb anyway.

I don't know what that is, so now I'm worried that I'm missing out.

they're extension devices which expand mobile capacity and coverage in local environments where mobile signal fails. like through walls and stuff. i have to write some stuff about them soon and am looking for a f***ing idiot's guide to them. as far as i can see they're actually pretty cool and you can have them in the home supplied by your mobile provider etc. they're nothing to do with cancer. small cells is not the best thing to try and write about off the bat.

they're extension devices which expand mobile capacity and coverage in local environments where mobile signal fails. like through walls and stuff. i have to write some stuff about them soon and am looking for a f***ing idiot's guide to them. as far as i can see they're actually pretty cool and you can have them in the home supplied by your mobile provider etc. they're nothing to do with cancer. small cells is not the best thing to try and write about off the bat.

Sounds useful for people out in rural communities.

That's as excited as I can get about it Stevie. It's all I've got on this subject.