Sign in to follow this  
smithdown

guns

I'd be f***ing livid if I lived in the UK where guns are illegal and yet you still have a seventh as much gun crime as the US where guns are given away free with every tank of petrol. Shouldn't you be protesting at this outrage? Clearly the law is not working.

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.

The UK has about 600 murders per year.

Where does this 1/7th fig come from?

The 1/7th thing comes from a fragment of someone's imagination. Try 1/22nd DanielS.

In the last year with recorded stats the US had 10.3 firearm deaths per 100,000 people, England had 0.46 deaths per 100,000 people.

If ever there was a good argument for less guns it was yesterday at the Empire State Building. Nine people shot accidentally by trained cops responding to the shooting.

Just imagine if it was twenty untrained douchebags shooting. The whole gun argument is a crock of sh*t.

it's a problem everywhere , not just the USA. as somebody else posted earlier, guns are legal here and yes, many are getting into the wrong hands, but they are illegal in the UK and they also have their share of gun problems.

people think that because they are illegal no one will have them, when all it serves to do is make sure only people who are committing crimes get their hands on them and the victims get to carry a water pistol

it's a problem everywhere , not just the USA. as somebody else posted earlier, guns are legal here and yes, many are getting into the wrong hands, but they are illegal in the UK and they also have their share of gun problems.

people think that because they are illegal no one will have them, when all it serves to do is make sure only people who are committing crimes get their hands on them and the victims get to carry a water pistol

With all due respect, it's comments like that which I find just brainless.

Nobody expects people not to have guns because they're illegal. The difference is that (a) the number of people with access to guns is reduced, (b) if someone is found with a gun before committing a crime there's some serious jail time involved, and © it stops people from doing something stupid on the spur of the moment because they're emotional - eg. breakup, divorce, lost custody of kids, sacked, etc. And by something stupid I mean both crime and suicide. It's no surprise America's suicide rate is so high considering the firearm laws.

No, but that's what "all due respect" seems to mean

like saying 'no offence' before going on to say something blatantly offensive.

is any respect due?

No, but that's what "all due respect" seems to mean

like saying 'no offence' before going on to say something blatantly offensive.

Exackkkkkerly.

It looks like things will only get worse if Mitt and his "good old boys" get elected.

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Republicans have strengthened the pro-gun-rights portion of their party platform, including a new call for unlimited bullet capacities in guns, in a defiant response to criticism that followed recent mass shootings at a Colorado cinema and an Arizona congresswoman's gathering.

The 2012 platform, approved this week by GOP convention-goers who nominated Mitt Romney for president, also endorses "stand your ground" rights for gun owners. That legal concept, which says gun bearers don't have to retreat if they feel threatened in a public place, drew national attention after February's fatal shooting of an unarmed Florida teenager by a neighborhood watch volunteer.

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-calls-broader-gun-rights-unlimited-clips-141639125--election.html

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.

The UK has about 600 murders per year.

Where does this 1/7th fig come from?

I posted it copied from the NY Times. Whilst the figures posted for the U.S. were for murders and injuries, the U.K figures - ie where they get the 1/7th, comes from "gun related incidents". That doesn't mean we have one seventh of the gun crime,"incidents" also takes into account things like threats,people carrying replicas etc so in many of the U.K cases shots weren't fired.

Edited by The walters step over

I'm after a new gun and wondered what fellow forumites would recommend?

Not really.

Just sick of these summer holiday gun stories in Liverpool all the while right now. Every bleeding day someone seems to be firing them off down residential streets in the middle of the day. Then there's tw*ts like this one:

what's to be done with them eh?

i knew both these lads and meh no great loss

it's a post which appears to subliminally contain about five steven seagal movie titles.

I'd go to see a film called 'Something Terrible Will Happen'. How much more hook do you need?

Comedy gold :lol:

That's what is needed right now, some proper defiance.

You could always protest in South Africa ? The police shoot your mate, you get charged with murder.

Aceness.

i knew both these lads and meh no great loss

I imagine smithdown's concern was more over the possibility of another Rhys Jones type incident than it was the loss to society of those two individuals.

And he'd be right.

To a point.

I think the loss to our society is that we have too many people for who that type of behaviour is normal / acceptable.

before Obama was elected I had several conversations with people who were stocking up on food guns and ammo because they were convinced that there would be an outright civil war if a black man became president.

4 years later I don't see them changing their minds and the right wingers are more than happy for keep whipping up the discontent and fear.

Sadly these people were totally serious and no amount of logic or common sense is going to get them to change their minds.

I despair for the human race.

before Obama was elected I had several conversations with people who were stocking up on food guns and ammo because they were convinced that there would be an outright civil war if a black man became president.

4 years later I don't see them changing their minds and the right wingers are more than happy for keep whipping up the discontent and fear.

Sadly these people were totally serious and no amount of logic or common sense is going to get them to change their minds.

I despair for the human race.

You've heard about this judge in Lubbock, TX right? Said if Obama was elected there'd be riots on the streets of Lubbock, and Obama would send in the army and declare martial law.

There are a bunch of f***ing crazy extremists in this country, and they get far too much airtime and people following them.

You've heard about this judge in Lubbock, TX right? Said if Obama was elected there'd be riots on the streets of Lubbock, and Obama would send in the army and declare martial law.

There are a bunch of f***ing crazy extremists in this country, and they get far too much airtime and people following them.

is that the same nutcase Hicks went running to?

is that the same nutcase Hicks went running to?

Probably.

sounds like Germany circa 1931

That's what I was telling someone the other day. As the right and the left move further apart - not out of belief in their own viewpoints, but in staunch opposition to whatever the other side stands for - America will get closer and closer to early '30s Germany. Half the population here will eat it up, and all of a sudden one day they're going to realise what they've created.

Wasn't sure where to post about this but the shootings in Manchester today :

Police are investigating someone in relation a murder and send two unarmed police officers into a disused house ?! Both officers are killed and the offender apparently walks into a police station shortly after.

Aye, fired 10-13 shots then lobbed a grenade. The two female officers who were killed were only there on a routine check as well apparently.