Sign in to follow this  
smithdown

guns

There is a night and day difference between the gun problems in the US and the UK per person. Population has nothing to do with it, the laws and the mentality towards those laws do.

And no, it's not a problem everywhere. Yes, it's a problem in countries like South Africa, Columbia, El Salvador, Jamaica, Brazil, Panama, & Mexico. And America.

it's a big problem in thailand as it goes. lots and lots of gun deaths. they just don't report them officially because it would be kind of embarrassing and would negatively affect the tourism industry.

I hate the things. This constitutional argument for allowing them is such a lot of crap too. It was written for a different time, different mentality, and different technology.

They should be outlawed, Federally, end of story.

it's a problem everywhere , not just the USA. as somebody else posted earlier, guns are legal here and yes, many are getting into the wrong hands, but they are illegal in the UK and they also have their share of gun problems.

Christ almighty, are you really pursuing this US-UK comparison?

sure, there is a tragic loss of life here, but the shooter made the choice to carry the gun and there is always the chance that something terrible will happen, especially given the fact that they were both out for revenge or payback.

I want this on a tea towel.

Preferably a blood stained one covering Mitt Romney's face.

I want this on a tea towel.

Preferably a blood stained one covering Mitt Romney's face.

it's a post which appears to subliminally contain about five steven seagal movie titles.

it's a post which appears to subliminally contain about five steven seagal movie titles.

I'd go to see a film called 'Something Terrible Will Happen'. How much more hook do you need?

Edited by matty

it's a problem everywhere , not just the USA. as somebody else posted earlier, guns are legal here and yes, many are getting into the wrong hands, but they are illegal in the UK and they also have their share of gun problems.

So nothing should be done because there are murders in other countries? The U.K statistics were noted as incidents - this could be murder/shootings but also includes things like having an unlicensed firearm.

If you look on sites for American newspapers when gun control gets mentioned then you will always see the fecking stupid arguments like yours. "People die in the U.K - therfore gun comtrol doesn't work" "it's not about guns,if the guy had a machete he still would've killed all those people" and my personal favourite "if other people had their guns with them they could've taken the bad guy out and saved a lot of people".

That last one for me sums up why there'll never be gun control laws in the U.S. The childish fantasy that if a bank robbery was taking place they could come to the rescue and blow the bad guys away,presumably afterwards the gorgeous lingerie model takes him back to her place in gratitude. On the NY Times website after the Colorado shootings there were at least half a dozen posters who reckon they could've got a headshot in on the shooter in a darkened theatre with a hundred or so by standers running about in panic.

Imo, it's got feck all to do with the constitution it's about being able to walk into a building knowing that your the most powerful person there with the power of life and death in your hands.

Edited by The walters step over

I'd go to see a film called 'Something Terrible Will Happen'. How much more hook do you need?

haha. yep, i had:

a tragic loss of life

to carry the gun

something terrible will happen

out for revenge

payback.

haha. yep, i had:

a tragic loss of life

to carry the gun

something terrible will happen

out for revenge

payback.

Mel Gibson is in Payback isn't he?

Out for Justice is close to Out for Revenge. That's a Steven Seagal movie.

Edited by DanielS

Mel Gibson is in Payback isn't he?

Out for Justice is close to Out for Revenge. That's a Steven Seagal movie.

yeah, which was a supposed remake of lee marvin's point blank. but with a holocaust-denying angle.

That's been made I bet. I think Charles Bronson was in it.

Another shooting in US. At the Empire State Building.

The shooter has been killed in the incident, but no details about how many others are wounded or how seriously so far.

I'd be f***ing livid if I lived in the UK where guns are illegal and yet you still have a seventh as much gun crime as the US where guns are given away free with every tank of petrol. Shouldn't you be protesting at this outrage? Clearly the law is not working.

I bet if you took Norris Green, Moss Side and the East End of London out of the equation it'd be a much smaller fraction than 1/7th. Whereas if you took out the 3 worst areas of the U.S. it'd still be a massive number per capita.

I bet if you took Norris Green, Moss Side and the East End of London out of the equation it'd be a much smaller fraction than 1/7th. Whereas if you took out the 3 worst areas of the U.S. it'd still be a massive number per capita.

The issues in the US are very much same issues the UK face - guns and drugs go hand in hand. Most of the media-visible shootings (like the one today and the Colorada cinema one) are pretty isolated and rare in comparison with the 100's of drug crime related incidents and suicides (which account for rather a large percentage of gun related deaths) that take place daily.

Statistics, statistics...

The issues in the US are very much same issues the UK face - guns and drugs go hand in hand. Most of the media-visible shootings (like the one today and the Colorada cinema one) are pretty isolated and rare in comparison with the 100's of drug crime related incidents and suicides (which account for rather a large percentage of gun related deaths) that take place daily.

[

Believe suicide accounts for just over half of all gun related deaths in the US (51-53%). Mass shootings also make up something like under 2% of all gun related deaths. Some huge percentage 95-96% of all gun related deaths are single victim.

South London is worse than the East End.

There's been two shootings in Norris Green in the last year, it's no where near the s***hole that is moss side.

There's been two shootings in Norris Green in the last year, it's no where near the s***hole that is moss side.

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.

The UK has about 600 murders per year.

Where does this 1/7th fig come from?

legalise drugs and guns will more or less disappear off our streets

here in Liverpool, who carries guns/what's it all about?

same all over the UK

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.

The UK has about 600 murders per year.

Where does this 1/7th fig come from?

I would have sworn there were many more in the US.