By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Leave entitlement at work - legal question

Hassony

A question for the HR guru's here (cobs you can ask your sister about this)

my company have a rule that I have not come across in the UK before , basically if I take Friday and Monday off as part of my leave allowance I will lose 2 extra days (Saturday and Sunday) as well

is that legal?

our contract specify that we work 40 hours Monday to Friday , so is it legal for the company to count the weekend as part of our leave allocations?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, if you take 2 weeks off to go to Benidorm, they dock you 12 or 14 days depending on when you start?

sounds a little American to me, sort of s**** they pull over here.

a friend of my wife starts a new job this week and gets ZERO vacatio time this year and only 7 days next year, she had 5 weeks before she was canned at her last job..

yes

the contract specify 30 days leave, there is no mention of the weekend rule

my sister says it's a load of old pony - you're not contracted to work on Saturdays & Sundays so they cant force leave to be taken from those days

whatever they get up to in South Africa is their business but it's not law over here

you sure someone isn't trying to wind you up here, Hass?

what happens if you take Mon-Fri off - do they count that as 9 days?

Its nonsense. Ours reads that way as well, as does your sick leave. I think its just written badly

sick leave is slightly different - if say you're only allowed to self certify sickness for 7 days - then that would include a weekend. E.g. off work Weds through to the following Thurs = You've been sick for 7 days and need a adoctors note thereafter

Hass, that was pretty standard in SA when I was there - you also had to take 4 days sick if you were off on Friday and Monday.

It can't stand up in the UK if you are contracted to work Monday to Friday for x hours though.

I think teachers here have that too. A friend of mine was ill on the Friday before half term and went in regardless as the Friday plus the entire half term would go on her sickness record if she took it off.

my sister says it's a load of old pony - you're not contracted to work on Saturdays & Sundays so they cant force leave to be taken from those days

whatever they get up to in South Africa is their business but it's not law over here

you sure someone isn't trying to wind you up here, Hass?

what happens if you take Mon-Fri off - do they count that as 9 days?

if i take monday to friday off it's only 5 days, but If I take monday to monday off it will be 8 days (6 working days + weekend)

I've been here two years now and we just kinda accepted it grudgingly , we do get 30 days a year which is more than the average allowance anyway

if i take monday to friday off it's only 5 days, but If I take monday to monday off it will be 8 days (6 working days + weekend)

I've been here two years now and we just kinda accepted it grudgingly , we do get 30 days a year which is more than the average allowance anyway

You've been had

30 days (presuming it doesn't include bank holidays) is a lot BUT you are being ripped off.

For a sickie I get it.

For actual booked leave its f***ing insane.