By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

GOLF

crisps

Used to play when I was in High School a bit however gave up after due to college / uni / getting pissed however ended up going for a round on a decent course for a mates birthday and loved it!

So ended up buying some decent second hand kit and really getting back in to it! Really cool way to get 4 / 5 hours away from TVs, computers, work, women!

Drives keep swerving to the right though so considering having some lessons!!! :D

Edited by crisps

I started playing a few months ago but i've had too many back problems in the last few years and had to give it up. Gutted as i was proper enjoying it

Having a lesson is definitely a good idea

Similar, really getting into it but my back is just too f***ed to cope with it. Hopefully i can sort my back out as i really enjoyed it.

Picked up some Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons for £60 in great condition and purchased a Taylormade Burner driver a few days ago although only got to try that out once yet!

Is it the crouching which is killing the back or the pulling / carrying clubs?

I had a bad back before i started playing but the golf just aggravates it. Last time i played was on holiday in France last summer and i was in agony for months after. Been really bad ever since. Off back to the hospital next week to have it looked at.

Edited by D.Boon

I've been playing more or less for about 20 years but never played regularly enough or with the right equipment to make it work. This last year, 18 months, I've invested a lot of time and bought new kit and it's paying off. Really enjoying it and playing on average about once every fortnight or so (used to be about 3 times a year).

I had a bad back before i started playing but the golf just aggravates it. Last time i played was on holiday in France last summer and i was in agony for months after. Been really bad ever since. Off back to the hospital next week to have it looked at.

b*****d pain isn't it. Mines in my SI joint and is long term.

Golf is generally a bad idea if you have long term problems, i just wish i'd realised that sage advice a few months ago

Some very good deals on LivingSocial etc at min like a round for two people at Mottram Hall for £39. However may have to wait a bit longer for somewhere like there.

On a positive note after about 5 rounds since started playing again, best I've got so far is round the 9 hole in 45 which is a par 32! It's the putting which needs loads of work, get on to green in 2 or 3 then its 5 or 6 into the hole!!! So thinking of buying an Odyssey putter this month with the 2 white circles on the back!

My Mates after a new set now too, where as I bought a decent used set he spent the same money on a new dunlop set from Sports Direct (about a month ago) and is already looking for a second hand decent set now!

I've been playing more or less for about 20 years but never played regularly enough or with the right equipment to make it work. This last year, 18 months, I've invested a lot of time and bought new kit and it's paying off. Really enjoying it and playing on average about once every fortnight or so (used to be about 3 times a year).

What kit did you get / use?

On a positive note after about 5 rounds since started playing again, best I've got so far is round the 9 hole in 45 which is a par 32! It's the putting which needs loads of work, get on to green in 2 or 3 then its 5 or 6 into the hole!!! So thinking of buying an Odyssey putter this month with the 2 white circles on the back!

Don't worry about the putter brand if that's your level. I would recommend that you spend time practising putting and you'll see a big improvement. Do drills of putting from 1 foot away and aim to get 20 in a row. If you do go out to 2 feet and continue out. If you're putting from 4-5 feet in improves your score will rocket down. It's not the most exciting but I personally listen to music while doing short game practice so it's not too bad.

I'm assuming you're not belting the ball off the green on the longer putts.

Don't worry about the putter brand if that's your level. I would recommend that you spend time practising putting and you'll see a big improvement. Do drills of putting from 1 foot away and aim to get 20 in a row. If you do go out to 2 feet and continue out. If you're putting from 4-5 feet in improves your score will rocket down. It's not the most exciting but I personally listen to music while doing short game practice so it's not too bad.

I'm assuming you're not belting the ball off the green on the longer putts.

No more other way round, not hitting it hard enough in fear of it going past! The putter though is really the weak link though at the minute, its my dads from about 15 year ago so guess a mini upgrade may help, used a friends odyssey last weekend and seemed much better due to feeling like it had some weight at the bottom!

Just tried a diff driving range which also has some free putting greens too which is nice :)

No more other way round, not hitting it hard enough in fear of it going past! The putter though is really the weak link though at the minute, its my dads from about 15 year ago so guess a mini upgrade may help, used a friends odyssey last weekend and seemed much better due to feeling like it had some weight at the bottom!

Just tried a diff driving range which also has some free putting greens too which is nice :)

I'm not saying a better putter won't help - it will. But far too many people think changing clubs will fix peoples in your game. Practising / playing more often will help you get better much faster.

I try to play a couple of times a week at least.

Play off 10 just now but have had a couple of bad years and was down at 8.6 before my driving went to fluck and have crept up since.

Bought a Burner Driver and 2 rescue clubs at start of the season and its starting to pay off now, getting more confidence back again.

Have had the same putter since I was 18 and will never change , have a Ping Anser and have been offered all sirts of silly money for it but I dont think i could putt with anything else.

Its a matter of finding what putter "feels" right for you and sticking with it.

I was an early starter, took it up at 11 and was off 8 by the time I was 16 years old. Haven't improved much since then though! Got down to 7 about 5-6 years ago but I just can't play enough with work and the kids to improve.

I hit the ball like a pro off the tee a lot of the time, regularly drive it 300 yards+ but my short game is crap. My typical hole is belting it to about 60 yards from the green on a club course par 4, then dicking about and getting 5. Playing off about 9 at the moment.

On the days my short game turns up I can go round in around level par but that's once in a blue moon. Have gone round both Allerton and Woolton in gross 69 before. I would strongly recommend an odyssey by the way, they make putts of 8 foot and under much easier.

They help control your rhythm on the putt with the weighting and I found made a big difference to my shorter putting. It's maybe not worth investing in the best clubs until you improve a bit, but the odyssey will knock shots off your score right now.

I took up that Mottram Hall deal - £39 for two people is an amazing deal for a championship course. Think they play European tour qualifiers there. Perhaps we should try to organise a YNWA golf day through the summer? I've played with murph before!

Edited by Leo No.8

Get an Open Fairways card, gives you 2 for 1 on loads of courses including some really decent ones.

Full price is 90 quid but just picked one up for 24, valid for 12 months. Pays for itself after one round at some places at that price.

A few here would have drank with a mate of mine Steve who played off a handicap of 4. He took me to a driving range and before the end of a 50 ball basked I was f***ed and f***ed off. It wasn't helped by trying to use his driver that had me in a different county to the ball.

f***ed it off after that seemed much too much like hard work

A couple of years ago was playing very little and was utterly horrific when I did, as if I'd forgotten how to play the game. Came close to just giving up.

Then played a fair bit last summer and was striking it nicely, got down to low 80s by the end of the summer which isn't far off the best I've been (used to manage the occasional mid-high 70s round a few years ago).

Had a couple of games lately and was around the 90 mark both times which is good early season form for me. New driver (the '09 Burner) is going well at the moment, short game has been pretty solid (some new wedges have helped), just need a bit more consistency in irons, especially off the tee - have been struggling on par 3s for some reason.

Hoping to get a few games in over the summer - may head back to Portal and try a couple of places out in Wales which are covered by Open Fairways, possibly Conwy and Nefyn.

Some very good deals on LivingSocial etc at min like a round for two people at Mottram Hall for £39. However may have to wait a bit longer for somewhere like there.

Played Mottram during thet glorious week of sunshine we had back in March, it was pretty ropey.... front nine was prety boring and rough, and although the back nine was nice the whole course was suffering from a a general lack of care and attention - not worth the money or its reputation in all honesty. But for £19.50 a round I don't suppose it's too bad. But I'd hate to pay the full green fees and then be faced with it.

What kit did you get / use?

The two key things were a new set of Calloway irons - bought second hand off ebay but still fairly new. And the other was a new putter - the Odyssey White Ice - my putting is now just about the best part of my game.

But even basic kit like proper golf trousers (no. not plus fours or rupert kecks), better shoes, trolley and bag can make a massive difference to how relaxed you feel going round a course and therefore how much of an effort it needs. It doesn't feel like hard work any more which is a big step forward.

But even basic kit like proper golf trousers (no. not plus fours or rupert kecks), better shoes, trolley and bag can make a massive difference to how relaxed you feel going round a course and therefore how much of an effort it needs. It doesn't feel like hard work any more which is a big step forward.

Just purchased a pair of Puma Lux shoes in black :cooler: Also see Adidas have a pair of Samba golf shoes...