By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Internet TV streamer

Swipe

Anyone recommend some good, reasonably-priced ones?

I assume you don't have to pay the prices of the likes of Apple TV and Boxee to get a decent one?

I use my Xbox to watch Netflix and while the sound of the machine has never bothered me before, I think it's getting f***ing louder!

It's like watching TV next to a small aircraft.

Anyone recommend some good, reasonably-priced ones?

I assume you don't have to pay the prices of the likes of Apple TV and Boxee to get a decent one?

I use my Xbox to watch Netflix and while the sound of the machine has never bothered me before, I think it's getting f***ing louder!

It's like watching TV next to a small aircraft.

You mean paying for it ?

I'm assuming you mean some kind of media centre thing, a device rather than a website?

I looked into them for a long time and couldn't find one that did exactly what I wanted i.e. connect to my PC wirelessly and play video from it on my telly in full HD. The solution that intrigued me the most was the Apple Mac Mini-based one that someone posted on here in another thread. There's a load of info around if you google "apple mini as media center".

Sorry -I mean an actual device. Like Apple Tv or the boxee. But not as expensive.

I used to use the popcorn hour which allows you to stream and play stuff that's downloaded

Can you use Netlix through it, do you know?

Aye. Given he's put off by the price of a £140 Boxee a Mac Mini is definitely the way forward. ;)

If you're looking for something cheaper that'll play Netflix, then some of the 2012 blu-ray players support that. The Sony and Panasonic models certainly do.

How about Roku though?

Aye. Given he's put off by the price of a £140 Boxee a Mac Mini is definitely the way forward. ;)

If you're looking for something cheaper that'll play Netflix, then some of the 2012 blu-ray players support that. The Sony and Panasonic models certainly do.

How about Roku though?

Yeah I can't really justify paying too much for it really. I'm only looking cos the noise of the Xbox is starting to annoy me.

Roku is one that I looked at last night actually. Reviews seemed mixed, though?

Yeah I can't really justify paying too much for it really. I'm only looking cos the noise of the Xbox is starting to annoy me.

Roku is one that I looked at last night actually. Reviews seemed mixed, though?

Dunno much about it really. The LT version is only £50 if you can put up with the limitations.

How do you find Netflix anyway? Worth it? And do you do the *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* US IP proxy thingmyjig to get the US content?

Dunno much about it really. The LT version is only £50 if you can put up with the limitations.

How do you find Netflix anyway? Worth it? And do you do the *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* US IP proxy thingmyjig to get the US content?

I don't. Think Benzo on here does it but I'm too scared to mess with the settings on my laptop!

Netflix is ok. The film library isn't amazing but they've a good list of tv shows. Hopefully it improves as time goes on as the American version is great apparently.

the popcorn hour handles netflix but maybe a little more than you are looking for

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Yeah a wee bit! Cheers anyway.

The WD Live TV might be worth looking at

That one looks more in my cheapskate price range!

Will look into that one. Cheers mate.

• 1 month later...

Just had a look at Netflix. It does not seem to have a decent range of films at all.

when you sign up does it have a wider range that it does not show you on it's page trying to get you on the free trial?

I went down the Apple TV route originally but ended up ditching it for a Mac Mini which has worked well.

There are so many options for streaming live events that won't work on a closed system like ATV, even if you hack it.

There's probably a much cheaper equivalent to the Mac Mini with generic hardware, even if you end up putting OSX on it.

I'm reluctant to buy any Apple product again to be honest, unless essential for work.

Just had a look at Netflix. It does not seem to have a decent range of films at all.

when you sign up does it have a wider range that it does not show you on it's page trying to get you on the free trial?

Nope, the UK one is rubbish.

Apple TV might be a bit pricey Swipe but it is worth it as it can be jailbroken meaning all the movies etc are free.

Plus if you have an iPad/iPhone you can watch all your photos and vids on the tellybox as well as play all your apps on screen (a lot of the racing games for example you can use the iPhone as a steering wheel/control pad).

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Revue-with-Google-TV/dp/B0040QE98O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342189506&sr=8-1

I watch all kinds of stuff streamed from the internet, plus it's great for watching movies from my PC. Works great on the wireless network, and even better when I put a cable in to watch footy games I cannot get on the dish.

You can pick up reurbished or used items for alot less than the 150 quid for a new one.

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Revue-with-Google-TV/dp/B0040QE98O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342189506&sr=8-1

I watch all kinds of stuff streamed from the internet, plus it's great for watching movies from my PC. Works great on the wireless network, and even better when I put a cable in to watch footy games I cannot get on the dish.

You can pick up reurbished or used items for alot less than the 150 quid for a new one.

Not very new. Logitech stopped production of the Revue back in November last year.

Apple TV might be a bit pricey Swipe but it is worth it as it can be jailbroken meaning all the movies etc are free.

Plus if you have an iPad/iPhone you can watch all your photos and vids on the tellybox as well as play all your apps on screen (a lot of the racing games for example you can use the iPhone as a steering wheel/control pad).

how would I go about jailbreaking an AppleTV?

Roku is probably the cheapest option but Id go for the WD TV Live, offers Netflix but more importantly can play almost any format locally either using from an external drive or streamed from another computer.